Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of cancelling Model X order after reading negative customer service reviews???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model X on order due for delivery to Heathrow Service Centre at the end of September. I tried to contact anyone from Tesla to enquire about wall chargers and just can’t reach anyone. Heathrow’s service centre phone just rings and rings, Bristol don’t phone back after leaving messages. This led me to look into customer service and I have been reading horrendous reviews regarding this and having serious doubts now that I am doing the right thing by buying a Tesla. Can anyone tell me their experiences regarding customer service in the UK. Anyone also recommend which wall charger to buy?

Personally I would wait and see. Tesla make it easy for you to return your car in the first 7 days and I'm sure they will not have trouble selling it on as an inventory car if you change your mind. There is nothing like the Model X on the market. It's so outrageous that it makes a lot of people very angry...what else are all those Lamborghini Urus owners who paid over a 100,000 more going to do to justify their cars? They don't even get cool doors. Customer service and interior! That's all they've got. There is no other car on the market today that will impress your passengers quite as much as a Model X. Take them for a ride in anything else and they will not remember it.

I have a Raven X on order so I'm in the same boat. My delivery is end of this Month. Ordered in April.

I have a new Model X on order due for delivery to Heathrow Service Centre at the end of September. I tried to contact anyone from Tesla to enquire about wall chargers and just can’t reach anyone. Heathrow’s service centre phone just rings and rings, Bristol don’t phone back after leaving messages. This led me to look into customer service and I have been reading horrendous reviews regarding this and having serious doubts now that I am doing the right thing by buying a Tesla. Can anyone tell me their experiences regarding customer service in the UK. Anyone also recommend which wall charger to buy?

I have a friend from college who lives very close to Heathrow. His X is close to 2 years old and it has served him well. Recently some plastic part under the falcon wing door hinges broke, and was fixed by a mobile service mechanic within 48 hrs right on his driveway.

Mine is on order and even though I was also very concerned after reading all these reviews, its not hard to notice that none of those complaining would rather buy a different car! Here's the story of someone who tried hard to move on:

After Model X, what should be our next car?

I am staying put.

Last edited:
Officially SC will no longer answer the phone.

For Service the App works GREAT !!!

When your in the process of Buying, ironically, it can be the most difficult time to contact them.

I had the same feeling before buying my Model 3 Performance and just wanted confirmation the car was at the service center the day before delivery so that I was confident I was insuring the correct car etc. Also the Web Site will nag you to Pay in Advance. You do not have to do that.

Try Chat if you need answers. Yes, the wait can be long. Email or Text is hit or miss.

I've had several Texts with a "mystery" person (Delivery Expert?) that my car will be ready Saturday and they gave me my VIN before the web site showed it. They also gave me my build date. But that took about 1 day for each text exchange. I've also been in touch with the Sales person I demo'd the car with and he has been more responsive and helpful but also I might get 2 exchanges one day and nothing the next. I ordered it like 2 weeks ago. Made a seat change a week ago, it was built last Friday and will be delivered next Saturday. And I'm on the east coast.

I was mentally prepared for the communication issues for it this time, it's just the way Tesla is right now, so that made it easier.

Very excited to get an X. My biggest concern is not service or reliability, it's getting into an accident, even a small one can be painfully long.

But I just have to have one ;)

As a long time Tesla owner (first purchase was a S P85 in Jan 2013), I'm not concerned about long-term issues with Tesla's service and support.

Tesla is going through a difficult transition right now, as the company adjusts to a rapidly increasing number of vehicles. Unlike the other manufacturers who just add more dealerships, and essentially maintain the same average cost per vehicle for sales/service/support, Tesla is trying to implement a different model that will provide quality customer service at a lower cost per vehicle.

Full scale Model 3 production scale-up challenges first hit manufacturing - then deliveries - and now post-sales support & service. Tesla is implementing a number of changes to reduce the number of staff and resources they will need for each new vehicle delivered. They're shifting to do sales only online. They're trying different strategies to streamline deliveries. They're planning to do most service with mobile service vehicles - and using an app or web browser for scheduling and tracking service. They've eliminated unnecessary annual maintenance, saving both Tesla and customers.

It will take time for all of these changes to be fully implemented.

What Tesla is attempting, no other manufacturer would be able to do - because they rely on a network of independent dealerships.

For anyone considering a purchase of a Tesla vehicle and joining the Tesla community, I recommend you look at Tesla's long term track record for providing quality customer support - and not the short term issues they are dealing with now as they adjust to a significantly higher number of vehicles.

When we purchased our first Tesla, the nearest service center was over 1000 miles away. Tesla had the vehicle shipped directly to our front door (by a UPS partner), and noone from Tesla was present when the vehicle was delivered. Things have improved considerably since then - and should continue to improve as Tesla innovates the customer service and support model.

Buy a Tesla vehicle, because the vehicle is what you want - and plan to have some patience in the short-term with getting service and support. Fortunately, Tesla vehicles are relatively simple compared to ICEs - and require significantly less maintenance long term...

Well this is my second Tesla and I was lied to and screwed out of $1K during my lease swap, every time I take my car in for service it comes back with a new set of scratches that luckily my detailer has been able to get buffed out to date but still, the constant lies about the state of AP and it's development, the horribly buggy software that seems to get worse over time and not better, the list goes on...

Like how many times do I need to unplug my dash cam USB and plug it back in because suddenly, after working for months, it's "too slow" for dash cam?

I could go on and I realize my reply wasn't terribly structured or organized but I'm so done with this company and it's lies, and unethical behavior... Lucky for Tesla they make the best cars ever produced if you're lucky enough to get one that's perfect from the factory and never needs service...

Jeff

If I had 2nd thoughts about buying anything in my life based to what some other people say, then I would never have bought anything. Make your own decisions aside from what others say. :)
The reason I'm on this forum before a purchase is that I want to know more about the MX from actual owners, both positive and negative. I have two electric cars and love them, but they're not 100K+ car. For this kind of money, I expect the equivalent of other 100K car service and quality. After two months on this forum, I finally placed my order two weeks ago but keep thinking if I made the right decision. My issues are 1. For 100K+, I could pretty much get any SUV I want and avoid going to the SC. Since I purchased my other two EV cars, I have not brought them back to the dealer in 3+ consecutive years, not even once and they're $30K cars. 2. About 80% of the MX is 2016 technology. Yes, the Raven upgrade was in April this year but what else is new from the 2016 model? Can't fold flat on the middle row 6-seater, no arm armrest, no grab bar, and those are basic features. 2020 is coming up and lots of SUV are nicer for half of the price. You can argue that they're ICE cars but they're more comfortable, cheaper, half of the price and most important of all, no visit to the SC. 3. Insurance on the MX is generally higher, extended warranty is expensive and worst of all, you have to bring the car back to Tesla if something goes wrong. Not on the ICE car.
Don't get me wrong. I know there are tons of great features on the MX and that's why I ordered one. However, I know lots of members on here have the same concerns. I'm interested in hearing out from MX owners with buyer's remorse.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The reason I'm on this forum before a purchase is that I want to know more about the MX from actual owners, both positive and negative. I have two electric cars and love them, but they're not 100K+ car. For this kind of money, I expect the equivalent of other 100K car service and quality. After two months on this forum, I finally placed my order two weeks ago but keep thinking if I made the right decision. My issues are 1. For 100K+, I could pretty much get any SUV I want and avoid going to the SC. Since I purchased my other two EV cars, I have not brought them back to the dealer in 3+ consecutive years, not even once and they're $30K cars. 2. About 80% of the MX is 2016 technology. Yes, the Raven upgrade was in April this year but what else is new from the 2016 model? Can't fold flat on the middle row 6-seater, no arm armrest, no grab bar, and those are basic features. 2020 is coming up and lots of SUV are nicer for half of the price. You can argue that they're ICE cars but they're more comfortable, cheaper, half of the price and most important of all, no visit to the SC. 3. Insurance on the MX is generally higher, extended warranty is expensive and worst of all, you have to bring the car back to Tesla if something goes wrong. Not on the ICE car.
Don't get me wrong. I know there are tons of great features on the MX and that's why I ordered one. However, I know lots of members on here have the same concerns. I'm interested in hearing out from MX owners with buyer's remorse.

I don't think you should buy an X if these are issues for you. You will just be unhappy. Tesla is not going to change, they have their way of designing cars. Minimalist styling, 6 seater without fold down center, etc. Get one of those other SUVs. Maybe look at the new Mercedes EV SUVs or ICE SUV, they seem more traditional in their design, are quieter, slower, less efficient, and more luxurious. But they seem to address more of your expectations. Also, Mercedes service is likely to be better.

Tesla really limits communication over the telephone. They prefer to handle things more efficiently over the internet. They are growing so fast they have a hard time getting all their information distributed to their employees, so many do not have the information you may want at their fingertips. To many eager new employees tend to give out false information that end up causing drama for both customer and manufacturer.

Even on the internet, they do not want to chit chat. Depend on their customers to figure things out with all the information available on the web.

Wall charger information is different for every country. They typically will give charging information to the prospective owners via internet prior to their car being delivered. Will allow them time to get their home charging station installed prior to taking delivery. For me, it was detailed in my purchase agreement. Told me what I needed to have ready to charge up my new Model X at home.

Try not to get upset. This is the Tesla way and for many hundreds of thousands it has ended up with a successful delivery and a satisfied customer.

Of course, some are not satisfied with this new way. Not the way they are used to buying a car. No more going down to the dealership, where a sales person will put you through the wringer and do everything they can to "get you into a new car today". No more, that car we had advertised for a great price is no longer available, but for just a little more money a month we can get you into a car type things.

They do little hand holding, and mostly go radio silence until they have the car produced and ready for your delivery. Then they will be all over it, arrange financing and deliver your car.

The cars are really quite remarkable, and are showing the way for transportation into the future. The driving experience is far better than with the previous gassers, and the driving experience is life altering.

I expect the equivalent of other 100K car service and quality.

You will not get this today on the service side.

Currently service is bleeding and Tesla is working hard to stem the flow. That results in things like the valet program going away, fewer to no loaners (Uber credits instead), very limited staff to answer phones or respond to emails or voicemails or answer questions regarding your repairs.

It is easy to schedule service online, and mobile service is nice. However, mobile can't do everything, so some service center visits will likely be required.

If you are used to the service level provided by the other luxury brands, you will most likely be disappointed with Tesla.

Service and quality are gambles. I don't proclaim to know the specific odds, but they are not slim.

Picked up my replacement new X yesterday. If I look for problems, I can see them. But I'm not really uptight about panel alignment unless it means rain gets in my car. Some upholstery is sketchy, though, and I will unfortunately have to have them fix/replace some stuff that looks like it could potentially lead to tears.

My previous X had A LOT of significant problems:
- replaced EAC: painless fix since it was straight dead. -> person A helped
- replaced MMU screen: painless since it was back when it was policy to replace yellow border screens (with screens that would also eventually yellow - ha!). -> person A helped
- replaced windshield: super difficult to get but the ghosting was so bad it was almost undriveable at night - but apparently "within specs"
- replaced struts for shudder: painless -> person A helped
- replaced AC compressor/condenser: difficult as one SC claimed "they are all loud", so I had to go to a different SC where it was immediately diagnosed as failing
- replaced door motor: not sure because never really got the car back
- replaced wing-door switches because OG ones snapped: easy
- falling off trim: difficult because they "forgot" to fix them
- replaced pillar camera: mobile service (Mobile Service tech was himself really cool, and so was his scheduler (whose position changed and became uncontactable)). When scheduler became unreachable, I couldn't get an appt made.
- Autopilot faults: difficult, very difficult, super difficult, WTF difficult, conflicting diagnoses, failed repair attempts, uncertainty that they could be sure they fixed it ----- in steps person B, I have a new X.

My service experience has hinged precisely on individuals. I have had great service, until the person "left" the company. I have had astoundingly poor service with others. In June I managed to get in touch with a person who was tremendously helpful. Fingers-crossed he doesn't "leave" and also that he gets my upholstery fixed.

YMMV

Want to add a pretty important thing:

Model X is still the only electric car in which we can easily road trip and the only electric car in which my three kids can sit far enough apart so that we can road trip without a murder.

Everything I see negative about the car is fixable by such examples as 1: knowledge and implementation of how to build cars more consistently and with standards (notice I did not say infallibility), 2: knowledge of how to maintain effective support and parts supply for cars, and 3: not lying on twitter.

Agree with others, if you are looking for a 100K car experience, get a Porsche or some other luxury brand. Do know that you will be paying over $500 for every oil change every 10k miles. So in some ways, you pay more every time you go in to have excellent service, but it is nice. Warranty items will be covered of course.

While there will be lemons for cars with any company, the vast majority of my visits for my model x are for things that I pursued because I'm just an anal type A person. The average guy not too nitpicky would have had much less visits. That said, I haven't paid a dime thus far for service.

For our model 3, we haven't gone once to the service center, and I don't see us taking the car in much at all. Just for simple tire rotations (can go anywhere for that).

Service here in Texas hasn't been the best, but the issues are communication/customer service, things that can and will be improved with time. I don't expect it ever to get to Porsche luxury level. But it really is nice when the mobile tech comes to your house to provide service and works in your garage. Ive still been able to get loaner cars if needed, if they are out a ICE loaner is still better than nothing if you need to drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Daisame