Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thinking of changing my order from Grey to Pearl White, questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Relatively new here, but looking forward to becoming a more active member once I receive my Model S order!

I have traditionally LOVED grey cars, and in particular gun metal grey, but I'm finding that the majority of times I've seen it in public, the color has been too light. Particularly in bright sunlight, it looks dull and like it doesn't have any color too it. I think that it is rightfully called "dolphin grey." Living in the bay area, I'm afraid the grey will be too light to me the majority of the time given the sunlight here. Here is a picture I took at the factory today, where it almost looks like it has a tint of color (e.g., green/blue) to it some times.

11157510604_52e9edfa67.jpg

Does anyone regret their grey color for these reasons, or feel it is too light of a color in the sunlight?

I'm thinking of switching over to Pearl White, it's hard to deny how awesome the frontend looks with the white/black contrast:

11157436205_b7027c9b78.jpg

My concern is that, while the front has these nice contrasting colors, the rear and sides are completely blown out with white color. I can get black wheels which could help that though.

In the end, I've unfortunately found there's no single color I love where I've gone: "that's it." Thoughts? I'd sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback/experiences. This is all subjective, but just talking it out helps.

Looking forward to joining your community!

- George

Last edited:
I doubt I'll have much to help you were other than to say, it came down to the exact same decision for me.

Since the Model S is such a gorgeous car (with 99% owner approval according to Consumer Reports), you aren't going to get a lot of people to say they regret any color combination they ended up with. There really are no wrong choices -- just different personal preferences.

My last 4 cars or so had all be the traditional "graphite grey" color, which I've always loved, but wanted to spread my wings more this time, so I tried to force myself to get the Pearl White. Ultimately I decided on the grey again. I LOVE that it's lighter than the usual darker gray seen on BMW, Lexus, MB, etc. I find the car sort of glows, in a variety of lighting. Whereas the traditional grey color approaches black, Tesla's grey approaches silver. I love it.

My issue with the Pearl is that, frankly, it's very hard to tell from the regular nonmetallic white. I saw two of them side by side at the showroom (indoors and out), and the sales guy had to keep closely examining the paint to figure out which was which. I'm sure owners who love the Pearl will exclaim otherwise, but the pearl effect is very, very subtle - more so than on other manufacturers' versions of it.

Anyway, go with your gut -- either way. After the inevitable few hours of "maybe I should have gone with the other color", your anxiety will quickly move being preoccupied with wishing the delivery date was sooner...

Good luck

My two cents, I originally was looking silver, but when I finally saw the white on the showroom floor I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The stark contrast between the white/black/chrome is stunning and nothing shows the lines (especially down the side) as well as white (or black for that matter). After borrowing a red loaner, all my friends/family agreed that that the white was much nicer looking. Frankly, the lines disappear in a way that I would have never anticipated on colored cars. I did go Pearl White and Argelius is correct that it is very close to 'plain' white. I can tell the difference on overcast days, or in the evenings, and especially at night. Night is when it really sparkles.

We call the car our StormTrooper. :) I've had it for almost a year, and I couldn't be happier. Oh.. and it refused to show dirt.

I got brown, but I almost regret not getting grey, for what it's worth. From what I've seen (mostly in pix, granted), it's quite the chameleon color, changing a lot in different lighting and in different surroundings.

My first car, years ago, was white (not "pearl white") and I always felt white was bland. I've seen some pix of the pearl white and it looks okay, but not as interesting or distinct, IMHO, as dolphin grey. In some pix, I can't really even tell the pearl white from regular white.

Whichever you choose, let us know. ;-)

I do not go for white cars myself while my wife does. I got a Red MS then my wife got a white one.

Again, I'm not a big white fan but I have to admit her car looks better than mine. MS is simply the best looking car in white I have ever seen.

Oh, and BMW resale Silver was my first MS.... It had to go.

I almost went with the grey, but my last 3 cars have been dark grey, silver and dark grey, so I ended up deciding on the Pearl. I'm very happy with it :)

I have not noticed the side or back feeling washed out, there are enough curves that the shadows define the car well. My timing is getting done today, and I'll post some pictures of my car when the sun comes back out, but I think these are pretty good examples of the white with various tint levels in the sun: Model S - Window Tinting - Page 46

I've only had the car a few days, but I've gotten several compliments on the white/black contrast. I think the black roof really makes it work. I don't think I would do a solid white.

One thing to remember, white is hard to photograph and it blows out easily in pictures. It really looks much better in person. Before my final decision, I stopped by the San Diego Service Center, where I was able to see every color availing sitting in the lot. That really helped make up my mind.

I spent *too* much time analyzing the colors as I personally prefer actual color in my cars. I even looked at them in b&w Model S Colors in BW | Tesla Owner

I know I am a bit crazy. In the end I went with grey and I love it. I think it does a nice monochromatic study as there is a lot of black and chrome going on. I also like it with the black interior, which will work fine in Palo Alto.

My second choice now that I have seen a ton of Model S's is the pearl white.

I was immediately drawn to the candy red and the only other color option that even caught my eye was the pearl white. I ended up going with the candy red and haven't regretted it at all. The "multi-coat" application of that gorgeous shade just does something to my soul and makes me want to drive all day and night. It screams "sports car" to me like none of the other options do.

Well Gnychis, I'm new to the club as well. I spent two weeks going back and forth on the color. I found myself liking them all for one reason or another. I put so many combinations together I was never going to decide. It wasn't until my wife had me open the garage door, then close my eyes, then she said when you open your eyes what color do you see it being in the garage. With that, white was it for me. According to my DS, it will be here on Dec 20th. I haven't had a second thought about the exterior, however, I did change the interior from tan to black. Like Argelius said, go with your gut!

I have the grey and live in the bay area as well. I think the car looks great on overcast days as it darkens a bit. In bright sun it turns almost sliver from certain angles. Quite a stunning color I think. I've parked next to other grey Model Ss that look different from mine. Less metallic, lighter, with more blue/purple tint to the grey.

FWIW, I love my Pearl White, but I'm a big fan of white cars to begin with. What others say is true - the difference during the day between regular and Pearl is subtle. Strangely enough, when you really see the difference is at night for some reason. I guess just the way lights reflect off of the Pearl finish. No matter what you choose, you're going to love it :)

Thanks a bunch for the feedback everyone! Like a few of you said, I just went with my gut. My initial gut reaction to the grey every single time has been that it's too light of a grey for me. I think what trils0n likes about his grey, is what I don't like about the color: it turns almost silver in the sun (too light for *me*), but obviously trils0n and others love this about the color (e.g., kendallpb referring to it as a chameleon).

So, in the end I changed my order to pearl white! My gut when I saw it in the showroom and that front end was "wow." I've never owned a white car and in general have hated white on cars, but there's something about its look on the Model S that doesn't seem too overblown. With the pano sunroof and the deep black front grill, it gives it a really nice contrast. I think it's time I break the mold on my grey colored cars and try something different for once.

Now for the waiting game (January delivery), looking forward to chatting more with everyone along the way!

I was onboard with the Dolphin Grey until the test ride and there was a pearl MS in the stall next to our test car, well that sealed the deal for my wife she just had to have it. The only thing I have reservations on is we went with the Gray interior as we felt it would be cooler in AZ weather. Not sure how its going to look with the Brown head liner.

I guess we will see on Dec 21.

I was onboard with the Dolphin Grey until the test ride and there was a pearl MS in the stall next to our test car, well that sealed the deal for my wife she just had to have it. The only thing I have reservations on is we went with the Gray interior as we felt it would be cooler in AZ weather. Not sure how its going to look with the Brown head liner.
I had decided on the grey interior until I saw a White with Tan interior the day we went in to the showroom to make our reservation. The tan on the website is nothing like the tan interior in person, and had sort of turned me off to the tan initially (and I never really looked at it after that)

I've really happy with the way the tan, matte Obeche, the black trim and the tannish" headliner all tie together.