TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Thinking of dipping /blacking out my silver MS

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RichardD, Feb 21, 2017.

1. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I am in Houston and saw this group:
    Dipworkz | Cheap and easy customs to your car

They have pretty up front pricing
    Pricing | Dipworkz

Has anyone used them, or heard of them?

Looking for feedback. I think as a DIY this could be done, but also for the price I would rather someone who has done it a few times make it look right.

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

Just my opinion here, but other than waxing, I think after-market treatments to "protect" your pain job are unnecessary. Keep your car waxed if you are concerned. (I don't.) But I'd take a pass on anything like this.

• Love x 1
  3. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Thanks I agree, I was hoping to change the chrome accents to matte black using plastic dip. It is also a very cool way to change an entire car color and is reversible.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I hear ya. But for me, the color is just not that important. I hated the color of my Zap Xebra when I first got it. The color was informally known as "garden-pest green." It was horrid. And then it grew on me. And by the time I sold it four years later I actually liked the color and was really sorry to see the car go. (It was just too underpowered. Zero to 35 mph in 31 seconds on flat ground.) I have my strong color preferences, but whatever color the car is, I'm sure I'll grow to love it because of the car underneath the color.

5. BigCity

BigCity Member

I did a full dip on mine to change it to something different and love it. I did it myself and is relatively inexpensive and have done it on past vehicles like my Jeep SRT. I find it a great way to make your car unique that is inexpensive and readily reversible and actually provides protection to the paint. From what I saw on the website the price seems very competitive for a full blackout of the entire vehicle for $200, I might worry that it isn't thick enough to peel easily. Wheel package only is a bit pricey you can get a kit and do it yourself for around $40-50 depending on color. Below is my post, and will be dipping again in a few weeks to a blacked out variant with blue added directly to the black so it looks black in low light and will have a shimmer of blue in the sun!

Custom Dipped Model S with new 21" AGs

6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Wrap - Don't dip. Wrap is sooooooo much easier to install and remove.