Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of getting a small water softener to decrease spotting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had better luck with one of those sausage shaped filters that fit onto a garden hose. I use it to wash the car and fill up my outdoor spa. If you get a decent one for about $20, it lasts through a couple years of washing various things before it starts to get clogged up and need replacing.

Got a link?
Well, they are fairly easy to find and sold at lots of places. Type "inline water filter" in Google and several will come up. I've had great success with them, but it might depend a bit of where you live and water minerals are in the water. Most of these filter to a 100 micron level.
Here is one that popped up in google. Not the one I use, but it gives you an idea of what they are like.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hydro-Li...hguid=a443a4e4-d1d-16baba20b4dd16&athena=true

Forget about the 8,000 - 10,000 gallon thing. I suspect that is for drinking the water since many of these are used in campers. For washing or filling hot tubs, it lasts a lot longer than that.

I use a CR Spotless system and can wash the car in direct sunlight. I still have to be quick getting the soap off, but once it's rinsed, the water dries pretty quick with no spots (assuming it's in the sun). I wash in the morning or late afternoon when there is shade, but could do it any time of day if I wanted. More flexibility with my time, so no complaints.

Well, they are fairly easy to find and sold at lots of places. Type "inline water filter" in Google and several will come up. I've had great success with them, but it might depend a bit of where you live and water minerals are in the water. Most of these filter to a 100 micron level.
Here is one that popped up in google. Not the one I use, but it gives you an idea of what they are like.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hydro-Li...hguid=a443a4e4-d1d-16baba20b4dd16&athena=true

Forget about the 8,000 - 10,000 gallon thing. I suspect that is for drinking the water since many of these are used in campers. For washing or filling hot tubs, it lasts a lot longer than that.

Thanks. Yep, saw those on Amazon, just wanted to make sure this was what you were talking about, since these don't mention car washing.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I've had better luck with one of those sausage shaped filters that fit onto a garden hose. I use it to wash the car and fill up my outdoor spa. If you get a decent one for about $20, it lasts through a couple years of washing various things before it starts to get clogged up and need replacing.
Can you post a link or picture as to what product you use? Sounds promising.

We had a whole house water filter system installed in our house after build time. Installed in our garage which I assume is typical. When the plumber came out to install, he asked if we wanted to add a spigot after the filters so we could have filtered water for car washing. We did. Something people might consider if having a system installed and the plumber doesn’t think to ask.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I use a CR Spotless system and can wash the car in direct sunlight. I still have to be quick getting the soap off, but once it's rinsed, the water dries pretty quick with no spots (assuming it's in the sun). I wash in the morning or late afternoon when there is shade, but could do it any time of day if I wanted. More flexibility with my time, so no complaints.

I have the CR Spotless system as well and it works perfectly. I’ve also had very good experience with their customer service department. Not cheap, but works exactly as advertised and leaves no spots even when drying in the sun.

LOL...If you're that concerned about what hard water does to your car, ever think about what it does to your body and home?

I had a whole-house water softener system installed several months ago and my life has never been the same. Drinking water tastes much better, skin feels much softer, no more stains on plumbing fixtures, hot water heater, shower doors, coffee maker, etc.....oh, and yes, a much easier to clean Tesla.

I have a whole house carbon filter and water softener and use a faucet connected to those to wash the car. Still wasn't enough to be totally spot free without lots of work drying, so bought a deionizer system. I ended up getting the Simple Chuck, and I can now wash the car and let it air dry in the garage with no spots.

Expensive setup but worth it.

I have hard water and wondered if a water softener would stop the white spots and make drying easier. I usually use the leaf blower, but even then there are tiny white spots on the windows.

You want a deionizer not a water softener. They are different. A deionizer will give you a spot free rinse. Here is the one I recommend. Family operation. Give them a call before buying to discuss.

Buy this $10 TDS meter from Amazon before you call them. It will tell you how much stuff you have in your water and thus which deionizer is best for you. https://www.amazon.com/Sonkir-Drink...r&qid=1562032998&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
You want a deionizer not a water softener. They are different. A deionizer will give you a spot free rinse. Here is the one I recommend. Family operation. Give them a call before buying to discuss.

Buy this $10 TDS meter from Amazon before you call them. It will tell you how much stuff you have in your water and thus which deionizer is best for you. https://www.amazon.com/Sonkir-Drink...r&qid=1562032998&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Not sure your recommendation was attached for the deionizer...

A water softener removes certain minerals from water by replacing it with salt. This does not produce spotless water. You want deionized water and the options are expensive as the resin is not a type that can be regenerated. it must be replaced.

Costco has a cheap one with refills. May be good for starter or infrequent use. https://www.costco.com/Unger-Professional-Rinse'n'Go-Spotless-Car-Wash-System.product.100471577.html. cheaper in warehouse.

CR Spotless is another option. Although it works, it shows its age and is made up of parts that IMHO I would use with a filter vs a cartridge and resin. I would prefer a tank for using DI resin instead. This is the system I have. I've had a cartridge break on me sending resin into my power washer. $20 for a new empty cartridge and lost a new fill of resin.

DIrinse sells tanks in different sizes, but they never responded to an inquiry I sent them. their bypass is neat.

Many local water softener companies can also sell you a DI system. If you put a small tank with an RO system in front of your DI tank, that resin will outlast your car.

Due to environmental issues, many communities ban the water softeners that discharge the back flushing water into their sewers. Option there is to use a service that comes out and exchanges your depleted cylinder with a fresh one. They then purge your used one in an environmentally accepted process. (still bad though).

The home use add on cartridge resin filters are very effective, but only do limited volume before needing replacement.