Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of getting the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason that people are attracted to the stealth model is that they want to accelerate fast, but do not want the bling that comes with the Performance car. 20" wheels come with low profile tires that are slightly noisier, less efficient and more susceptible to damage than the aero 18". Some people do not like the look of the spoiler, do not want the slightly lower suspension, and see no value in racing brakes. If you want the racing style pedals, you can get those cheap on Amazon.

The $6500 price difference is substantial, and if you don't want the performance bling, the stealth car is a better buy.

Reactions: Solmors
Not once have I seen anyone here who was initially leaning toward a Performance model, and debating between a Performance and AWD Dual Motor, end up buying the AWD Dual Motor...so let's assume you're going to buy a Performance model.

That said, you are in NYC, and you have expressed interest in a "comfortable car". You're aware, I am sure, that the 20" (or 19") low profile tires on a Performance model will offer a rougher, less compliant ride on poorly maintained city streets. 18" wheels will provide a more comfortable ride.

Unless you track your Tesla, larger brakes on the Performance model are un-necessary and won't make any difference in normal driving. Besides, a unique aspect of a Model 3 is one-pedal driving, wherein one hardly ever touches the brakes.

Spoiler? Well, that's personal aesthetics. Lowered suspension? You could always do that after market.

It sounds like the Performance stealth is the correct car for you, and short of that, I believe you would be quite happy with an AWD Dual Motor. (but you won't buy one...wink).

Last edited:
Reactions: UCF3
Not once have I seen anyone here who was initially leaning toward a Performance model, and debating between a Performance and AWD Dual Motor, end up buying the AWD Dual Motor...so let's assume you're going to buy a Performance model.

That said, you are in NYC, and you have expressed interest in a "comfortable car". You're aware, I am sure, that the 20" (or 19") low profile tires on a Performance model will offer a rougher, less compliant ride on poorly maintained city streets. 18" wheels will provide a more comfortable ride.

Unless you track your Tesla, larger brakes on the Performance model are un-necessary and won't make any difference in normal driving. Besides, a unique aspect of a Model 3 is one-pedal driving, wherein one hardly ever touches the brakes.

Spoiler? Well, that's personal aesthetics. Lowered suspension? You could always do this after market.

It sounds like the Performance stealth is the correct car for you, and short of that, I believe you would be quite happy with an AWD Dual Motor. (but you won't buy one...wink).
Yeah NYC is going to wreck your 20” wheels if you go full performance package

Reactions: Magnets!
I too am a car enthusiast, love modding cars and have been driving manual for 25yrs. My first car was a manual stingray. Really got into modding in the late 90’s early 2000’s. Drove a JDM b16 swapped 2nd gen integra, lightened flywheel, stage 2 clutch, custom tune, suspension exhaust etc........that I auto-x’d pretty competitively in SM class. Went on to modding wrx’s...that I also auto-x’d and hpde. Then went on to bmw and drove a modded 335i....all manuals. I sold the 335 for the performance model 3. Was hesitant...giving up the manual. 14months later. ZERO regret. It handles just as good as my bmw and is comfortable. The acceleration is addicting....you’ll never want to go back to ICE.

If you can afford the performance that’s what I would suggest. I’ve driven both fairly extensively...as I have a friend that has the awd...I definitely notice the difference. Sure it still has the instant ev acceleration and is plenty fast....but honestly didn’t feel much faster than my modded 335. I’ve also heard it can take a while to fix. Someone backed into my friends awd....damage isolated to just the trunk...took 2-3 weeks to fix. I met another owner that got rear ended on the northern state...and took 3 months to fix.

Here’s a few pics of some of my past cars and p3d+ :)

Thanks for sharing man. The Model 3 looks good. Did you lower it?

The reason that people are attracted to the stealth model is that they want to accelerate fast, but do not want the bling that comes with the Performance car. 20" wheels come with low profile tires that are slightly noisier, less efficient and more susceptible to damage than the aero 18". Some people do not like the look of the spoiler, do not want the slightly lower suspension, and see no value in racing brakes. If you want the racing style pedals, you can get those cheap on Amazon.

The $6500 price difference is substantial, and if you don't want the performance bling, the stealth car is a better buy.

Spoiler? Well, that's personal aesthetics. Lowered suspension? You could always do that after market.

I didn’t hear much about the Stealth Performance until you guys brought it up. I’m looking into that now. I’m not a fan of the 18” wheels and the huge wheel gaps. If I were to get them, I will definitely look into lowering it with lower springs or coilovers and go with aftermarket wheels. I like the look of the performance wheels and the lower suspension so if I get it, I may just keep it stock. I have driven cars with lowered suspension and also with 20’s wheels before and luckily, I never cracked or bent any wheels. My type R comes with 20”s from factory also. Is the software in the stealth performance the same as the regular performance?

Also, for folks that finance, do you finance through Tesla or your bank or credit union?

I don't know about right now, but in Late December 2018 Tesla steered all the paperwork to US Bank, Cal registration, everything. It was a one click purchase. The next day 4 cool young people showed up with a sheet to sign and dropped off my car and a couple more up the street. I went downstairs to get something and by the time I came back, they were gone, and my wife was standing in the driveway next to a shiny new Model 3, with her mouth open.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and Dr. J
Gotcha, excuse the newbness- are breaks that much better?

I ordered Performance model, I like the idea of it being lower and better breaks, I can live with 18's and add a spoiler later

yea the second wider peddle, to the left of the accelerator, you press it to come to a halt
Not to be a nitpicker.... but breaks is something you never want your car to do, while brakes is what stops it. Peddle is another word for selling something, often while traveling on foot, while pedal is the thing you stomp on with your foot when you want to stop your car.

Thanks for sharing man. The Model 3 looks good. Did you lower it?

I didn’t hear much about the Stealth Performance until you guys brought it up. I’m looking into that now. I’m not a fan of the 18” wheels and the huge wheel gaps. If I were to get them, I will definitely look into lowering it with lower springs or coilovers and go with aftermarket wheels. I like the look of the performance wheels and the lower suspension so if I get it, I may just keep it stock. I have driven cars with lowered suspension and also with 20’s wheels before and luckily, I never cracked or bent any wheels. My type R comes with 20”s from factory also. Is the software in the stealth performance the same as the regular performance?

Also, for folks that finance, do you finance through Tesla or your bank or credit union?

Not lowered its stock suspension. Honestly if there’s one thing I don’t like is the fender gap with the stock suspension. IMO the oem sports suspension on my 335 was the perfect height....although it did bottom out the shocks on bigger hits.

Reactions: VinElectric
go for it, but there are several posts about NYC people with bent 20" rims...not sure if it's simply the weight of the Model 3 or a combination of that and a soft cast wheel. Also, charging could be challenging in the city...do you have a place to charge at home? If you have a shared garage it can be a lot of red tape and expense to get a charger installed, if you can at all.

I came from a long line of BMWs and most recently an Audi S4 and my performance model 3 is more fun than any of them with better ride quality.

My brother has a civic type r and I have a stealth performance. Both fantastic cars in completely different ways.

For a daily driver the model 3 is hands down better (and should be since it costs $15-$20k more for the performance trim). The power is addicting and the regenerative braking feels somewhat like a manual.

A six speed manual Honda is hard to beat and that turbo 2.0 pulls pretty hard. Despite being loud, I think the CTR actually has a better ride in comfort mode. The 20” wheels on the CTR are much stronger than the model 3 since they are forged. I’d be worried about potholes and also the fact that you’d need winter tires if you went with the full performance. If you aren’t doing track days, stealth is the way to go.

I gave the choices of stealth P vs Performance some thought and went with white on white M3P. Yes, more money, but I do like the stock P look and considering that I do like to step on the pedal in some of my favorite corners, the P handling was a factor as well. FSD expense was definitely more of a vanity than Performance upgrade.

go for it, but there are several posts about NYC people with bent 20" rims...not sure if it's simply the weight of the Model 3 or a combination of that and a soft cast wheel. Also, charging could be challenging in the city...do you have a place to charge at home? If you have a shared garage it can be a lot of red tape and expense to get a charger installed, if you can at all.

I came from a long line of BMWs and most recently an Audi S4 and my performance model 3 is more fun than any of them with better ride quality.

Charging is not an issue an issue for me. I own a home and planning on installing a 240V outlet in the garage. It’s good to know that the Model 3 has better ride quality than BMW and Audi. That really said something about Tesla.

Get the performance.. you know you want too..

I’m debating between Performance and keep it stock vs. Stealth and upgrade suspension and wheels =P.

I gave the choices of stealth P vs Performance some thought and went with white on white M3P. Yes, more money, but I do like the stock P look and considering that I do like to step on the pedal in some of my favorite corners, the P handling was a factor as well. FSD expense was definitely more of a vanity than Performance upgrade.

How’s the white interior holding up? I like the look of it but I think I would go with black because I have kids. They will spend most of the time in the X3, but I plan to drive them around with the Model 3. I’m not getting FSD and don’t really care for it.

My brother has a civic type r and I have a stealth performance. Both fantastic cars in completely different ways.

For a daily driver the model 3 is hands down better (and should be since it costs $15-$20k more for the performance trim). The power is addicting and the regenerative braking feels somewhat like a manual.

A six speed manual Honda is hard to beat and that turbo 2.0 pulls pretty hard. Despite being loud, I think the CTR actually has a better ride in comfort mode. The 20” wheels on the CTR are much stronger than the model 3 since they are forged. I’d be worried about potholes and also the fact that you’d need winter tires if you went with the full performance. If you aren’t doing track days, stealth is the way to go.

Haha, can’t get any closer than this. I love the type R, and if I could, I would keep it and get the Model 3, but I need the X3 for the cargo space and drive my family around. Agree on the ride quality of the type R, it’s very civilized despite being a “race” car. I actually upgraded to 18” wheels and tires, and the ride is even better. I changed it for aesthetic reason though, not the ride quality reason. I think I would enjoy it more if I was in my 20s. Now, I’m a father of 2, and I don’t have time to drive it much. I don’t even drive it in the winter. Hence, I’m thinking of getting something else that I can enjoy more. That’s when the Model 3 comes in.

I think you should get the performance and call it a day if the increase in cost is acceptable to you. None of these cars are slow. They are just slow relative to each other and we somehow forget that 0-60 in under 6 seconds is very acceptable performance for a daily driver.

Haha, can’t get any closer than this. I love the type R, and if I could, I would keep it and get the Model 3, but I need the X3 for the cargo space and drive my family around. Agree on the ride quality of the type R, it’s very civilized despite being a “race” car. I actually upgraded to 18” wheels and tires, and the ride is even better. I changed it for aesthetic reason though, not the ride quality reason. I think I would enjoy it more if I was in my 20s. Now, I’m a father of 2, and I don’t have time to drive it much. I don’t even drive it in the winter. Hence, I’m thinking of getting something else that I can enjoy more. That’s when the Model 3 comes in.

Wait for the Model Y and ditch the X3 instead of the Type R?

In terms of performance vs non performance suspension on the Model 3, I couldn’t tell much of a difference on test drives. The biggest difference was the summer tires vs. eco oriented all seasons. If you’re changing wheels anyways you could fix this “issue” with the stealth by getting grippier all seasons (assuming you don’t want two sets of wheels and winter tires).

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up

In terms of performance vs non performance suspension on the Model 3, I couldn’t tell much of a difference on test drives. The biggest difference was the summer tires vs. eco oriented all seasons. If you’re changing wheels anyways you could fix this “issue” with the stealth by getting grippier all seasons (assuming you don’t want two sets of wheels and winter tires).

Or get the performance and fix it buy getting a winter set..either 18 or 19’ with snow tires :p. That’s what I did...except I also ended up getting a 20” staggered summer set lol.

Is Tesla still offering the stealth P3D? If so imo the two variants offer options for 3 groups of buyers. 1) Stealth for those that want the quickest model 3 but don’t care for the brakes, wheels, suspension, spoiler, pedals. 2) stealth for car enthusiasts that want the quickest model 3, but would rather go aftermarket suspension, brakes, wheels.
3) regular Performance...everyone else lol. Those that want the quickest model 3 and want the best handling, braking, sporty looking model 3 That Tesla offers...and doesn’t want to go aftermarket except for maybe wheels. take that with a grain of salt because the spoiler/brakes/pedals/suspension don’t differentiate the performance version as much as other manufactures do ie amg,m3 etc. in that regards the stealth does offer a great value.

I thought about getting the Model Y as well. I don't want to ditch the X3 because it's paid off, and I'm currently financing the Type R. Also, the Model Y will be out in 2020. Not sure how long I have to wait for it and also don't like the idea of getting the newly released model even though it shares many components with the Model 3. So ideally, for me, 2021 or late 2020 is a good time to get the Model Y.

Is Tesla still offering the stealth P3D? If so imo the two variants offer options for 3 groups of buyers. 1) Stealth for those that want the quickest model 3 but don’t care for the brakes, wheels, suspension, spoiler, pedals. 2) stealth for car enthusiasts that want the quickest model 3, but would rather go aftermarket suspension, brakes, wheels.
3) regular Performance...everyone else lol. Those that want the quickest model 3 and want the best handling, braking, sporty looking model 3 That Tesla offers...and doesn’t want to go aftermarket except for maybe wheels. take that with a grain of salt because the spoiler/brakes/pedals/suspension don’t differentiate the performance version as much as other manufactures do ie amg,m3 etc. in that regards the stealth does offer a great value.

Agree. I think if you plan on modding the car, Stealth is a better value. IThe 1st mods will be chrome delete, wheels/tires and springs/coilovers so the only major upgrade left is the brake. The advantage of getting the performance is that the cost is divided into the monthly payment so it doesn't hurt your wallet so much. Based on Tesla website, the Performance is about $100 more a month which isn't bad.

Btw, is there any risks of scrapping when lowering the Model 3 because the battery is at the bottom?