Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of making a Ford Lightning reservation... you better read this before you make my mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I though they were serious about competing. I have bought tons of cars through the conventional dealer system. Toy, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, BMW but I don't ever pay market adjustments. Just don't want any car that bad. I'm an idiot for realizing Ford would continue this type of sales approach. It has been about 10 years since my last buy a 2012 Tundra. And I didn pay MSRP much less a market adj. Then again they were not filled with 45k reservations. I get that I should have know better. Guess after a couple of Tesla purchases I've completely forgotten how conventional Manufacturers work.

Funny that I would not have been surprised if the Porsche Taycan dealer tries this. I would walk away but I wouldn't have to worry about getting my reservation $ back. Long term, I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Ford realizes.

I'm not interested in giving Ford any "chances" They should have know better. I know they will sell tons to the Ford faithful. Just not me. And that's ok. Too bad because I was going to order their maxed out version. Damn I don't really want to but I may have to just get on the CyberTruck reservation list. I'll probably have to go into the dealership to get my refund.

Reactions: SmartElectric
G

Funny that I would not have been surprised if the Porsche Taycan dealer tries this.
taycan dealers don't usually play that game but porsche dealers do upcharge on some rare models. basic ECO 101, supply vs demand.

on the taycans there were many leftover 2020s that can be had for 10%+ off msrp but it is tough to move them off MSRP for cars that are not on their lot.

There are already people discussing pricing on F-150 forums. Some have mentioned dealers who will not charge a premium over MSRP. One dealer north of Philadelphia quoted someone 3% UNDER MSRP.

Do your research, find a dealer you want to work with, and be willing to travel to drive the car home (or ship it). I bought a 911 from a dealer in Houston and used their shipping contractor to send it to me.

If I end up purchasing an F-150 Lightning, I would do it through the Ford Partner Recognition Program | EAA. This gives you no haggle purchase prices that are very likely lower than any price that you could possibly bargain for. I don’t see it on their requirements right now, but at one point, I think I saw this program wasn’t available in the first 6 months of EAA membership.

I used a similar program when I purchased my 2013 Nissan LEAF. This was the Nissan VPP (Valued Partner Program). If you work for a company with more than 100 employees, you’re likely eligible. I showed my badge from work and got a price on the LEAF that was several hundred less than the price True Car said was the lowest I should expect.

EAA is the Experimental Aircraft Association. They support the E-AB (Experimental/Amateur-Built or Homebuilt aircraft world). Ford is one of (or possibly) their largest corporate sponsor. I expect that Ford will have an F-150 Lightning on display at EAA’s AirVenture event in Oshkosh, WI happening in late July.

I greatly prefer the no-haggle pricing structure that Saturn used, Tesla uses, and apparently Rivian will use as well, but even when you go to a traditional dealer, there are programs available that will allow you to get steep discounts and no-haggle pricing.
Thanks for this, I didn't know it was an option. I've been an EAA member for many years.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There are already people discussing pricing on F-150 forums. Some have mentioned dealers who will not charge a premium over MSRP. One dealer north of Philadelphia quoted someone 3% UNDER MSRP.

Do your research, find a dealer you want to work with, and be willing to travel to drive the car home (or ship it). I bought a 911 from a dealer in Houston and used their shipping contractor to send it to me.
I have driven cars from 1k miles away as have people I know who are doing the same. slightly different circumstances but a friend is picking up his new 'vette from the factory in KY and driving it home.
the point is that some people are willing to trade the time it takes to get the car home for the thousands that can be saved by shopping the car all over the country. MY limit is that I won't go to the west coast.

Guess I though they were serious about competing. I have bought tons of cars through the conventional dealer system. Toy, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, BMW but I don't ever pay market adjustments. Just don't want any car that bad. I'm an idiot for realizing Ford would continue this type of sales approach. It has been about 10 years since my last buy a 2012 Tundra. And I didn pay MSRP much less a market adj. Then again they were not filled with 45k reservations. I get that I should have know better. Guess after a couple of Tesla purchases I've completely forgotten how conventional Manufacturers work.

Funny that I would not have been surprised if the Porsche Taycan dealer tries this. I would walk away but I wouldn't have to worry about getting my reservation $ back. Long term, I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Ford realizes.

I'm not interested in giving Ford any "chances" They should have know better. I know they will sell tons to the Ford faithful. Just not me. And that's ok. Too bad because I was going to order their maxed out version. Damn I don't really want to but I may have to just get on the CyberTruck reservation list. I'll probably have to go into the dealership to get my refund.

I am with you on that, there is zero chance I will ever pay any "market adjustment" on any vehicle, ever. I dont want any car that bad. I fully admit that direct to consumer for the car business doesnt mean "cheaper" in most cases, but it also eliminates this BS crap.

Most people, when buying a car, just dont want to feel like they are getting ripped off. This truck is interesting. I have a few "non ev owning" friends / co workers asking me about it, because I have had a Tesla for a couple of years now, and they know I research stuff to death before I buy it.

I think it looks like a very interesting vehicle, and WOULD be popular, if dealers dont do this stupid crap with it.

That dealer is on the Bronco forums and offering 3% under too. People are freaking out because they are used to dealing with Tesla one price. The Broncos and now the Lightning will generate some high volume dealers to do this around the US. Not many but some.

Ok I reserved one yesterday. Within minutes of my $ hitting Ford's pocket I received two e-mails. One indicating I have a reservation and the next explaining I was assigned a "local dealer". I get an email from that dealer introducing themselves etc. Ok everything sounds good right? Clearly I forgot I was dealing with the old system. When Raptors and GT's came out you couldn't touch them for anywhere close to MSRP for years. That "market adjustment" thing. And I have to go to that dealer to get my refund!!!! WTF!!!

I would have NEVER placed a reservation had I known. To say I'm pissed is a drastic understatement. I'll be cancelling my order and let you guys know how that goes. Just finished my conversation with said dealership and they say they will be doing market adjustments. When I asked how to get my $ back he said I somehow have to go back to Ford corporate. Clearly the refund part of original welcome FAQ below not correct. Oh I called the dealership. He says he doesn't know anything about how to get a refund. This FAQ data was in the email supposedly from him. It was his phone number at the bottom of the FAQ section.

I had to stop myself from yelling at this point.

The details pasted from my dealer email.

Online Reservation FAQs​

What happens to the reservation deposit once I order?

See your dealer for details. The reservation deposit should be credited or refunded by your dealer as part of the vehicle purchase process. * WTF I sent my $ directly to Ford

Am I buying this vehicle directly from Ford?

No. The purchase agreement will be between you and the dealer, not you and Ford. Clearly the dealership is going to control actual final price.

What price will I pay for my F-150 Lightning?

The pricing for your vehicle will be finalized at time of order. The entry model starts at $39,974 MSRP (commercial-oriented). More-equipped mid-series (XLT) starts at $52,974 MSRP, offering additional comfort and technology. MSRP starting at $39,974 up to around $90,474.1 This reservation does not guarantee you a specific price point.
Just contest the charge with your credit card company.

Reactions: gmo43 and EVDRVN
EAA is the Experimental Aircraft Association. They support the E-AB (Experimental/Amateur-Built or Homebuilt aircraft world). Ford is one of (or possibly) their largest corporate sponsor. I expect that Ford will have an F-150 Lightning on display at EAA’s AirVenture event in Oshkosh, WI happening in late July.

The EAA is ALSO the Electric Auto Association. They promote widespread usage of Electric Cars. They also have many chapters, and it is highly possible that Ford will have their Lightning on display at several events sponsored by the Electric Auto Association. The electric pickup has a lot more in common with electric cars than it does with experimental aircraft, don't you think??

No, the F-150 is a real truck and can be used as such the CT configuration is not a design that lends itself to doing what you do with a truck. Hauling wood, loading garbage for a dump run, loading brush, getting a yard of dirt or gravel etc.
I was thinking the same thing and wondering when someone would say that. I love the F-150 and the CT too. Amazing technologies and I’m very excited about both of them. I can definitely see more Electric F-150 owners doing exactly what you said, and seeing more CT owners hiring someone to do those tasks. I’m definitely a hands dirty kind of a person, because I’m stuck behind a computer 50 hours a week and love the satisfaction of doing it myself and seeing the results.

Reactions: Merrill
No, the F-150 is a real truck and can be used as such the CT configuration is not a design that lends itself to doing what you do with a truck. Hauling wood, loading garbage for a dump run, loading brush, getting a yard of dirt or gravel etc.
Huh? I want CT for drywall and brick. 5.5 ft/ 1800 lbs F-150 EV vs 6.5 ft/ 3500 lbs Cybertruck is a no-brainer. Last time I ordered 600 pavers, paid $75 delivery and had to wait a week. That's about 2500 lbs. With the CT I could do it in a one palette load, with F-150 ... not so much. And I am tired of cutting drywall to load in my SUV or going through ordering a trailer. One more amazing thing is that I can close CT bed to protect drywall and cement from rain.
... speaking of real trucks! :cool:

Huh? I want CT for drywall and brick. 5.5 ft/ 1800 lbs F-150 EV vs 6.5 ft/ 3500 lbs Cybertruck is a no-brainer. Last time I ordered 600 pavers, paid $75 delivery and had to wait a week. That's about 2500 lbs. With the CT I could do it in a one palette load, with F-150 ... not so much. And I am tired of cutting drywall to load in my SUV or going through ordering a trailer. One more amazing thing is that I can close CT bed to protect drywall and cement from rain.
... speaking of real trucks! :cool:
And you can raise the front/lower the back which will sometimes aid loading or unloading.