Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of making a Ford Lightning reservation... you better read this before you make my mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
range anxiety primarily affects newbies to the EV world, once the newbie learns their car's capabilities the affliction goes away
Haha or oldies, my car is over 7 years old and it's lost range and been capped with software update along with charging speeds have been reduced. So that range anxiety is coming back around.

Haha or oldies, my car is over 7 years old and it's lost range and been capped with software update along with charging speeds have been reduced. So that range anxiety is coming back around.
How much range have you lost? Don’t you have an lifetime battery warranty? If your range drops below 70% you should be able to at least get a refurbished replacement, right? You appear to have a long history of dissatisfaction dating back to before you even took possession.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Finally got my refund. Funny but they really didn't want to know why I was cancelling. No way to explain the market adjustment thing. Oh well.

Amazing how many folks still think it's ok to bait and switch on prices. I certainly don't hate others that don't care, that's their business. I don't play that sugar. We'll see how folks feel when the actual mark ups start to show up. Interesting that folks want to justify their decision that they'd pay more. I really don't care what you do with your $, after it's your $. I just choose not to. I've never paid over MSRP. Nothing is worth that to me.

Finally got my refund. Funny but they really didn't want to know why I was cancelling. No way to explain the market adjustment thing. Oh well.

Amazing how many folks still think it's ok to bait and switch on prices. I certainly don't hate others that don't care, that's their business. I don't play that sugar. We'll see how folks feel when the actual mark ups start to show up. Interesting that folks want to justify their decision that they'd pay more. I really don't care what you do with your $, after it's your $. I just choose not to. I've never paid over MSRP. Nothing is worth that to me.

If you don't mind me asking.....who is paying over MSRP for a Lightning?

If you don't mind me asking.....who is paying over MSRP for a Lightning?

No one, if they do their research...

There are already people discussing pricing on F-150 forums. Some have mentioned dealers who will not charge a premium over MSRP. One dealer north of Philadelphia quoted someone 3% UNDER MSRP.

Do your research, find a dealer you want to work with, and be willing to travel to drive the car home (or ship it). I bought a 911 from a dealer in Houston and used their shipping contractor to send it to me.

I'm getting about 195 miles on my 2014 P85 charged to 80%. I think the 100% is about 235. How's yours doing? Would like to get one of the longer range P100Ds someday, but I would also miss the large frunk, pano roof, and being grandfathered into free connectivity and free supercharging. I can get range anxiety with this range; would really need 350+ to feel comfortable with the range.

I think it looks like a very interesting vehicle, and WOULD be popular, if dealers dont do this stupid crap with it.
It’s going to be wildly popular with or without markups. F-150s fully loaded with all of the different “editions” are stuffed full of all sorts of crazy mark ups and they STILL can’t keep them on the lot.
This isn’t a flex for Ford. They aren’t just trying the EV market out with the F-150….they know they have to nail it with this one..the brand demands it.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I didn't have a relationship with any dealer so I picked the one w/ least annoying radio ads :). In my back and forth with the Internet Sales person there, they didn't say anything about doing market adjustments but didn't say that they wouldn't do it either. I also will not pay over MSRP so we will see what happens when orders are actually finalized.

But just to be fair, the language in the reservation FAQ about not guaranteeing a price is also in Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc reservation language. Prices are not finalized until you order.

I'm still excited to see just how much they deliver on promises. The powering the house thing is especially interesting. I did get on the CT list so the Lightning should be out and fully reviewed by the time Tesla gets around to my order.

Well considering the ICE version can already provide power like it did in Texas, I think they will also deliver on that end. Range is was has me the most curious especially with all these numbers being thrown out

Reactions: Eclectic

Just finished watching this and I'm so impressed. Sure sounds like they nailed it. Of course the devil is in the details, e.g. OTA updates. VW and Porsche promised but has had nothing but problems. At this time it just doesn't work. Still I like the Lightning... on paper. And I won't pay a dollar over MSRP so it will probable be a few years (maybe never) before I could buy one. The range is a big deal also. Still want to hear what actual owners are getting. He never mentioned how the towing affected range. Just that it was killer

Reactions: gmo43
No I won't pay a penny more than MSRP. I haven't bought from any dealer Lexus, Honda anyone for years. The dealershp internet sales manage said the markup won't bel like Raptors or GT's, more like the Ford Broncos. They clearly just don't get it. I was giving Ford a chance. They are not an established EV manufacturer with a huge charging network, etc.

Wonder if Rivian is the same? I know my sale is a drop in the bucket (preorders at more than 45k) but I wonder what will happen when people actually see them change the price. Oh yea and you get to go all around your town trying to find the best deal. Such fun!!! So far no one can tell me how to get my deposit refund.

I'll buy a CyberTruck before I give these guys a penny. I know I'll have to wait but at least I'll know the price.
Sounds to me like you didn't do your diligence and probably had no intention of buying a Ford Lightning anyway...The fact that Ford is a dealership model and they aren't an "established EV manufacturer with a huge charging network..." was something pretty much everyone knew in advance. Now all of us who actually want a Lightning will have one fewer reservation ahead of us.

Yikes Ford is really shooting themselves in the foot. You can't take pre-orders without a real price. Avoiding the dealer is a decent portion of the appeal of Tesla IMO. I suppose the trade-off is that you will have dealer support when the thing catches on fire or bricks. Cybertruck definitely the way to go.

FWIW I confirmed with my dealer that I will pay MSRP so no worries of dealer markups here. Ford has as much of a "real price" as the CT. Like Ford, Tesla has not released any options package pricing yet. Further, if you read your reservation agreement, Tesla has not committed to a price for the CT. Will they most likely honor it? Yes, and I would say the same of Ford. No difference.

If you don't see a difference between a dealer-driven purchase and a direct purchase, you may want to stick with Tesla exclusively. That said, I expect Ford will pull a Tesla and only offer the most-expensive variant at first. Undoubtedly that will include undercoating and a primitive bolt-on alarm system.

If you don't see a difference between a dealer-driven purchase and a direct purchase, you may want to stick with Tesla exclusively. That said, I expect Ford will pull a Tesla and only offer the most-expensive variant at first. Undoubtedly that will include undercoating and a primitive bolt-on alarm system.

And if you do a small amount of work you could get the Lightning for invoice.

If you don't see a difference between how the Tesla purchase experience has changed from 2011 to 2021, you may want to stick with dealers exclusively.

You might want to check out this thread: Our third Tesla and it seems customer service has gotten worse!?!?

There are many of these threads on here. At least with a dealer someone always answers the phone when I call (not true w/ Tesla - send an email or use the app? BS.). Also, if a dealer treats you poorly, you can go to a different one. That is not an option w/ Tesla.

Further, when was the last time you bought from a dealer? They have changed a lot in the last 10 years. They now routinely have internet salespeople so you can do all of your buying, selling, negotiating, etc online, just like Tesla (well, except for the negotiating part - that can be good or bad, depending on the direction of the negotiation :p). When your car is ready you just sign some paperwork and drive off, just like Tesla.

Also, Ford has said they are going to spread the initial deliveries across the different trim levels. Not sure what that means in reality though.

PS: Let me say, as I have said a number of times recently, that the front-line employees at Tesla have always busted their tails to do everything they possible can to make my experience great. But they are working with a system that is held together by duct tape and bailing wire and a CEO that doesn't give a damn about anything back office and will not invest in it.