Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of making a Ford Lightning reservation... you better read this before you make my mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not for that CEO that "does not give a damn" Ford would not even know what the acronym EV stands for. Complain all you want about Tesla CS, it does not matter in the larger scheme. Elon has successfully pulled the most unlikely marques -- Porsche and especially Ford -- out of the dark ages. This is a planetary plan and we are all part of it. I welcome Ford to the party.

No, Im not exactly sure what he meant since Ford has been working on EV’s since the early 1900’s…… so saying Ford wouldn’t know what EV’s stood for without Musk is laughable…..

no one, not Ford, not GM, not Toyota was moving the needle with EVs AT ALL until Tesla came along with some EVs that more people actually found compellling. If all we had today was still the leaf, Prius and maybe EV1, there would be no Taycan, Mach E or anything else that would remotely endanger their ICE business.

Last edited:
You should do some research on the Rivian R1T, I think they are very forward thinking in delivery, service and charging network.
Really? I checked google maps for my closest Rivian service center. Nation wide? zero. How long has it been tesla have been building cars & yet not all states still to this day, don't have a single SC?
As for charging - folks are lucky to find ANY locations that have more than a stand along DC QC. Very few have 2 to 4 units. Which is good, as it's not that uncommon to find one not working at all. And as for pricing? get ready to grab your ancles.

Really? I checked google maps for my closest Rivian service center. Nation wide? zero. How long has it been tesla have been building cars & yet not all states still to this day, don't have a single SC?
As for charging - folks are lucky to find ANY locations that have more than a stand along DC QC. Very few have 2 to 4 units. Which is good, as it's not that uncommon to find one not working at all. And as for pricing? get ready to grab your ancles.
Not sure where you got your info, also remember this is a start up. They have a service center in San Francisco near me any 5 others thru out the US, more to come but they can fix most anything in your driveway. They will like Tesla be installing fast chargers thru out the US, no more expensive than the lightning or Tesla.

no one, not Ford, not GM, not Toyota was moving the needle with EVs AT ALL until Tesla came along with some EVs that more people actually found compellling. If all we had today was still the leaf, Prius and maybe EV1, there would be no Taycan, Mach E or anything else that would remotely endanger their ICE business.

Thats 100% different than saying Ford wouldn't know what EV stood for.

Thats 100% different than saying Ford wouldn't know what EV stood for.
It's obviously hyperbole how it was worded, but anyone that has been following EVs knows what he means. The modern EV revolution was only really driven by Tesla. That's not to say the other automakers made zero EVs even in modern times (heck a lot of people may forget, but even Ford had the Ranger EV and the Focus Electric), but rather they never treated them as a serious market segment or something critical to their future.

Reactions: scottf200 and SO16
If you don't see a difference between how the Tesla purchase experience has changed from 2011 to 2021, you may want to stick with dealers exclusively.

You might want to check out this thread: Our third Tesla and it seems customer service has gotten worse!?!?

There are many of these threads on here. At least with a dealer someone always answers the phone when I call (not true w/ Tesla - send an email or use the app? BS.). Also, if a dealer treats you poorly, you can go to a different one. That is not an option w/ Tesla.

Further, when was the last time you bought from a dealer? They have changed a lot in the last 10 years. They now routinely have internet salespeople so you can do all of your buying, selling, negotiating, etc online, just like Tesla (well, except for the negotiating part - that can be good or bad, depending on the direction of the negotiation :p). When your car is ready you just sign some paperwork and drive off, just like Tesla.
Have that been your personal experience with new dealers? I haven't bought from a dealer recently, but recent articles on Jalopnik say they have not changed their ways (with many examples in recent years, even in the middle of covid when you would think they won't want in-person dealings):
This Conversation With A Dealer Will Hurt Your Brain
Sounds like you will still have a long ordeal at the dealer and won't be able to just walk off the lot like with a Tesla after inspecting the car at your own pace (was a fairly refreshing experience personally to not have to sit down for a long ordeal at the dealer). Of course YMMV depending on which dealer.

Turning over to the Mach E forums and articles like below how the initial buyers were handled, I'm not convince the dealers have changed their ways. Ford is trying to do some kind of hybrid system where you have a reservation, but ultimately everything is still mostly in the hands of the dealers.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Buyer Shares Horrible Dealership Experiences: Extreme Price Markups, Random $1000 Dealership Fees, & Enraged Salespeople
This doesn't have much to do with dealerships in general, but just Ford specifically, but over in Jalopnik it's pretty much been a running joke that Ford have screwed up every single one of their recent major launches (Explorer, Bronco, MachE, not as bad on the F150, but it's having some rust issues brand new), so it benefits people to wait things out if you aren't the type that can deal with first gen issues.

It's obviously hyperbole how it was worded, but anyone that has been following EVs knows what he means. The modern EV revolution was only really driven by Tesla. That's not to say the other automakers made zero EVs even in modern times (heck a lot of people may forget, but even Ford had the Ranger EV and the Focus Electric), but rather they never treated them as a serious market segment or something critical to their future.

No doubt that Musk gets credit for bringing EV's mainstream. Now he is doing something else that I think will change the industry and that's cutting out the dealers from car sales. Ford is has already taken steps to go that route. Currently Ford is promoting custom ordering using the dealer which I think they have figured out works better than having stock sit at dealers while they price gouge customers.

Have that been your personal experience with new dealers? I haven't bought from a dealer recently, but recent articles on Jalopnik say they have not changed their ways (with many examples in recent years, even in the middle of covid when you would think they won't want in-person dealings):
This Conversation With A Dealer Will Hurt Your Brain
Sounds like you will still have a long ordeal at the dealer and won't be able to just walk off the lot like with a Tesla after inspecting the car at your own pace (was a fairly refreshing experience personally to not have to sit down for a long ordeal at the dealer). Of course YMMV depending on which dealer.

Turning over to the Mach E forums and articles like below how the initial buyers were handled, I'm not convince the dealers have changed their ways. Ford is trying to do some kind of hybrid system where you have a reservation, but ultimately everything is still mostly in the hands of the dealers.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Buyer Shares Horrible Dealership Experiences: Extreme Price Markups, Random $1000 Dealership Fees, & Enraged Salespeople
This doesn't have much to do with dealerships in general, but just Ford specifically, but over in Jalopnik it's pretty much been a running joke that Ford have screwed up every single one of their recent major launches (Explorer, Bronco, MachE, not as bad on the F150, but it's having some rust issues brand new), so it benefits people to wait things out if you aren't the type that can deal with first gen issues.
I haven't bought a new ICE since my Corvette in 2006. But my brother-in-law bought a new F-250 at a Ford Dealer in Houston 2 years ago. He said it was pretty painless. Also, there are plenty of horror stories right here on this site about Tesla dropping the ball with ordering and delivery, $1,000 order fees, etc.
One of the main reasons I hesitate ordering a Lightning is that I would have to go to a Ford dealer.
I was nervous about that too. But so far it's just been a couple of emails with the Internet Salesperson as I confirmed they would not charge a dealer markup. Plus, as I mentioned above, Tesla's customer service has been slipping lately.....

That being said, I do expect some hilarious conversations around delivery, charging, etc. as I am sure I will know more about the Lightning and EVs than the dealer staff. But as long as they aren't arrogant I will happily educate them as I do so many other people during "Tesla Time."

That being said, I do expect some hilarious conversations around delivery, charging, etc. as I am sure I will know more about the Lightning and EVs than the dealer staff. But as long as they aren't arrogant I will happily educate them as I do so many other people during "Tesla Time."

I think strider has it exactly right. Those of us that can help these other marques and their owners succeed should do so. I love Tesla but contrary to popular belief, not all of us that love Tesla are fanbois. I would certainly buy another brand in the future if it was a better car. Not Porsche, as I will never forgive VW-Porsche for DieselGate, but Ford and others -- yes I would buy. Elon himself has done a lot to enable other brands -- this is part of the mission.