Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of making a Ford Lightning reservation... you better read this before you make my mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I reserved one yesterday. Within minutes of my $ hitting Ford's pocket I received two e-mails. One indicating I have a reservation and the next explaining I was assigned a "local dealer". I get an email from that dealer introducing themselves etc. Ok everything sounds good right? Clearly I forgot I was dealing with the old system. When Raptors and GT's came out you couldn't touch them for anywhere close to MSRP for years. That "market adjustment" thing. And I have to go to that dealer to get my refund!!!! WTF!!!

I would have NEVER placed a reservation had I known. To say I'm pissed is a drastic understatement. I'll be cancelling my order and let you guys know how that goes. Just finished my conversation with said dealership and they say they will be doing market adjustments. When I asked how to get my $ back he said I somehow have to go back to Ford corporate. Clearly the refund part of original welcome FAQ below not correct. Oh I called the dealership. He says he doesn't know anything about how to get a refund. This FAQ data was in the email supposedly from him. It was his phone number at the bottom of the FAQ section.

I had to stop myself from yelling at this point.

The details pasted from my dealer email.

Online Reservation FAQs​

What happens to the reservation deposit once I order?

See your dealer for details. The reservation deposit should be credited or refunded by your dealer as part of the vehicle purchase process. * WTF I sent my $ directly to Ford

Am I buying this vehicle directly from Ford?

No. The purchase agreement will be between you and the dealer, not you and Ford. Clearly the dealership is going to control actual final price.

What price will I pay for my F-150 Lightning?

The pricing for your vehicle will be finalized at time of order. The entry model starts at $39,974 MSRP (commercial-oriented). More-equipped mid-series (XLT) starts at $52,974 MSRP, offering additional comfort and technology. MSRP starting at $39,974 up to around $90,474.1 This reservation does not guarantee you a specific price point.

Last edited:
No I won't pay a penny more than MSRP. I haven't bought from any dealer Lexus, Honda anyone for years. The dealershp internet sales manage said the markup won't bel like Raptors or GT's, more like the Ford Broncos. They clearly just don't get it. I was giving Ford a chance. They are not an established EV manufacturer with a huge charging network, etc.

Wonder if Rivian is the same? I know my sale is a drop in the bucket (preorders at more than 45k) but I wonder what will happen when people actually see them change the price. Oh yea and you get to go all around your town trying to find the best deal. Such fun!!! So far no one can tell me how to get my deposit refund.

I'll buy a CyberTruck before I give these guys a penny. I know I'll have to wait but at least I'll know the price.

No I won't pay a penny more than MSRP. I haven't bought from any dealer Lexus, Honda anyone for years. The dealershp internet sales manage said the markup won't bel like Raptors or GT's, more like the Ford Broncos. They clearly just don't get it. I was giving Ford a chance. They are not an established EV manufacturer with a huge charging network, etc.

Wonder if Rivian is the same? I know my sale is a drop in the bucket (preorders at more than 45k) but I wonder what will happen when people actually see them change the price. Oh yea and you get to go all around your town trying to find the best deal. Such fun!!! So far no one can tell me how to get my deposit refund.

I'll buy a CyberTruck before I give these guys a penny. I know I'll have to wait but at least I'll know the price.
You should do some research on the Rivian R1T, I think they are very forward thinking in delivery, service and charging network.

I’m with the OP’s opinion of the old school backwards way of thinking. I watched the reveal. Figured I’d order one but I didn’t get as far as you. I got turned off after clicking “Reserve Now” then first being asked to select a dealership based on a zip code. I do not have any relationship with a Ford dealership, how can I choose one blindly? I should have been able to place my order then at a later date select the delivery location/dealership. That turned me off enough to not place an order. It did have a cool frunk.
Have a Cyber Truck order placed on tjr first evening which I’ll hang onto.
Max

Reactions: SmartElectric
No but they have already told him that they will gouge him:
an ‘Adjustment’ isn’t necessarily a gouge. It’s market rate for being an early adopter. I paid $57k for my lr rwd model 3 in 2018. That isn’t much more car than an sr+. I knew that was the cost of early adoption and I wasn’t pissed. Ford dealer will do same. It’s basic supply/demand. But if a penny more is a gouge to the op, he may as well cancel.

Ok I reserved one yesterday. Within minutes of my $ hitting Ford's pocket I received two e-mails. One indicating I have a reservation and the next explaining I was assigned a "local dealer". I get an email from that dealer introducing themselves etc. Ok everything sounds good right? Clearly I forgot I was dealing with the old system. When Raptors and GT's came out you couldn't touch them for anywhere close to MSRP for years. That "market adjustment" thing. And I have to go to that dealer to get my refund!!!! WTF!!!

I would have NEVER placed a reservation had I known. To say I'm pissed is a drastic understatement. I'll be cancelling my order and let you guys know how that goes. Just finished my conversation with said dealership and they say they will be doing market adjustments. When I asked how to get my $ back he said I somehow have to go back to Ford corporate. Clearly the refund part of original welcome FAQ below not correct. Oh I called the dealership. He says he doesn't know anything about how to get a refund. This FAQ data was in the email supposedly from him. It was his phone number at the bottom of the FAQ section.

Online Reservation FAQs​

See your dealer for details. The reservation deposit should be credited or refunded by your dealer as part of the vehicle purchase process. * WTF I sent my $ directly to Ford

No. The purchase agreement will be between you and the dealer, not you and Ford. Clearly the dealership is going to control actual final price.

The pricing for your vehicle will be finalized at time of order. The entry model starts at $39,974 MSRP (commercial-oriented). More-equipped mid-series (XLT) starts at $52,974 MSRP, offering additional comfort and technology. MSRP starting at $39,974 up to around $90,474.1 This reservation does not guarantee you a specific price point.
So, F-150 EV is just a scam to steal your personal information and make you pay for it.

If I end up purchasing an F-150 Lightning, I would do it through the Ford Partner Recognition Program | EAA. This gives you no haggle purchase prices that are very likely lower than any price that you could possibly bargain for. I don’t see it on their requirements right now, but at one point, I think I saw this program wasn’t available in the first 6 months of EAA membership.

I used a similar program when I purchased my 2013 Nissan LEAF. This was the Nissan VPP (Valued Partner Program). If you work for a company with more than 100 employees, you’re likely eligible. I showed my badge from work and got a price on the LEAF that was several hundred less than the price True Car said was the lowest I should expect.

EAA is the Experimental Aircraft Association. They support the E-AB (Experimental/Amateur-Built or Homebuilt aircraft world). Ford is one of (or possibly) their largest corporate sponsor. I expect that Ford will have an F-150 Lightning on display at EAA’s AirVenture event in Oshkosh, WI happening in late July.

I greatly prefer the no-haggle pricing structure that Saturn used, Tesla uses, and apparently Rivian will use as well, but even when you go to a traditional dealer, there are programs available that will allow you to get steep discounts and no-haggle pricing.

I may get some hate here, but hear me out. I was an early Bronco reservation on day one and have been going through the same exact process the Lighting F-150 reservationsist will go through. Even though you picked a dealer, you can make a switch to another dealer before you make your order in the Fall. In the Bronco world the dealers hopped on the Forums and some even advertised a percentage under invoice and have a people who will meet you at the airport and pick you up. Yes people are flying into some dealers to save a couple or few grand and driving their Bronco home. I haven’t heard of any dealers marking up on the forums from customers who have ordered. I called my dealer for Lightning reservation and he said no it’s just MSRP like the Bronco orders. I would suggest to hop on an F-150 forum and learn a lot as time goes.

Now I’m waiting for my Tesla M3 that says it will get here in June, but with all the cars sitting at Fremont with an unknown part missing it worries me a little. In a year from now I’m going to have to figure out, do I sell my M3 or Bronco when my Lightning F-150 is ready?

Snip​

Are you new to buying cars made by traditional automakers?
They have been using the dealership model for many decades.
During the reservation process, you were asked to choose your dealer (I placed a reservation as well).

I wouldn’t blow a gasket until you get the price of the vehicle, it is a fully refundable reservation.

If the dealer continues to stall on the refund, I’d make a complaint with the BBB, include the documentation. Heck, complain to your state’s AG and your state reps. They need to hear about how shitty the dealer model is.

He’s getting ample warning he’s not paying the published price, that’s a gouge. Ford, GM, Kia, etc etc etc all have this practice. It’s baked into the lovely dealership experience.
It isn’t a gouge if the price is reasonable or even lower.
The manufacturers have none of this baked in, this is solely done by the dealers.

Reactions: SmartElectric

Online Reservation FAQs​

The Ford Motor Company cannot legally sell you a vehicle and they cannot establish a dealer's selling price. Ford is stuck with this system. It's not their fault.