Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of making a Ford Lightning reservation... you better read this before you make my mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder when Tesla will sell the cheap CT version? Another Model 3 stunt?

Sounds like Ford will bet on the Pro version.

The Pro version got me interested.... And I am not even a truck guy.
So far, the report said that Ford bets to sell 20% of F-150 EV for commercial use. I wouldn't call it "Ford bets on the Pro version"

Wonder when Tesla will sell the cheap CT version? Another Model 3 stunt?
Sounds like Ford will bet on the Pro version.

I wasn't aware Ford was a non profit.

Business pressure (profit) would dictate that Ford (who is absolutely battery capacity constrained) may not overly prioritize the Pro version.
Sure, if Ford wants to lose out on Platinum sales by selling the Pro for 1/2 the cost, they could do so.
BUT with 70000 reservations a week in, and running at a rate that will result in years of backlog, Ford will have their pick of what options/levels to sell.

Re: Model 3 stunt. The price of the SR+ which is superior to what Tesla revealed, was less in inflation adjusted dollars than their $35K base price at the years prior reveal, and Tesla offered the SR for sale for more than a year, offering original reservation holders a shot at buying one.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
I finally put my reservation in for a CT. I'll wait to see how the Ford refund process works. I've hated the look from day one but it seems like the only real option for the near (3-4 year) future. At least it does everything I need a truck to do. And it will be a few years before they get to my order. ;)

Ford's head of EVs explains how the new F-150 Lightning conquers range anxiety

Seeing as the F-150 is already America's best-selling truck, Ford has a distinct leg up as it looks to sell an all-electric version: the F-150 Lightning. But the Michigan automaker still has its work cut out for it when it comes to convincing buyers to ditch their gas-fueled pickups for zero-emission ones.

Electric vehicles still only make up less than 2% of new car sales in the US. And study after study cites range anxiety — the worry of running out of battery without a charging station nearby — as one of the top hurdles to widespread adoption of EVs. That concern may even be heightened in pickups like the F-150 Lightning, since people depend on them to tow heavy trailers and haul hefty loads — both activities that can suck up energy and deal a blow to range.

For Darren Palmer, Ford's head of EVs, the key to winning over electric skeptics isn't just promising them loads of range — it's providing super-accurate, real-time range estimates that reassure drivers they won't run out of juice unexpectedly. The idea is to give buyers the confidence to use up most of their range and still trust that they'll get to a charger in time.

"Whatever you ask it to do, it's going to tell you if it can do it. That's what really matters because every situation is different," Palmer told Insider in an interview.

That all starts with factoring in a huge amount of variables beyond just battery level since range can vary widely depending on how a driver uses their truck.

Ford's Intelligent Range system creates a profile for each driver and assesses how far they can expect to travel between charges based on their driving habits. It also factors in the topography on a given route to account for any battery-draining climbs or energy-saving descents, Palmer said. Wind speed, weather conditions, and traffic are downloaded from the cloud and added to the calculation, too.

Ford introduced Intelligent Range in the Mustang Mach-E crossover, and Palmer claims he drives his Mach-E down to 20 miles before looking to charge because he's learned to trust the vehicle's estimates.

"It says what it does and it does what it says," according to Palmer.

But Ford added some key capabilities to Intelligent Range for its debut electric pickup. Onboard scales measure the weight of what's in the bed, cab, and frunk, though Palmer says bed payloads don't tend to affect range all that much. Similarly, when customers want to tow something, the truck can estimate how heavy the trailer it's hitched to is and fold that into range calculations.

Moreover, Palmer says, drivers can create a "trailer profile" by inputting the width, length, height, and weight of their trailer for an even more accurate prediction. Dimensions matter because, in addition to weight, a trailer's aerodynamics can have a major impact on range.

All in all, Ford takes in much more data than its rivals when generating range estimates, which it says are some of the most precise in the industry. And by virtue of over-the-air software updates — a function that Tesla pioneered and other automakers are starting to adopt — range calculations will improve over time, Palmer says. His team will continually assess how actual range stacks up against pre-trip estimates and correct the system to make it increasingly accurate.

Another strategy Ford employed to assuage the range-anxious is to underpromise and overdeliver. The company is targeting an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles for its extended-range model, and, according to Palmer, it achieved that with 1,000 pounds in the bed and without a bed cover. So drivers may end up surprised by how much range they're getting rather than disappointed by it, especially if they add a drag-reducing tonneau cover and don't haul very much. In the end, though, Palmer says consumers will simply need to get over their mental hangups with range anxiety and charging.

"The only thing you have to do with electric is charge on a long journey. And that just means pull up, plug in, get coffee, go to the restroom, come back, and go," Palmer said. "It's effortless."

Ford's head of EVs explains how the new F-150 Lightning conquers range anxiety

When I purchased my S, the total price was the listed price ("MSRP" even though Tesla doesn't call it that), plus standard delivery charge of $1200, plus sales tax. No processing fee, documentation fee, dealer prep fee, ADM, market adjustment, advertising fee, rustproofing, nitrogen, pinstripes, undercoating, window tint, fabric protection---all extra charges I have seen dealers ask for over the years. What a pleasure to purchase a car from Tesla. I stopped by the Ford dealer to look at the Mach E, had a $2500 market markup, plus a couple of thousand in other fees. And the selling started immediately. No wonder there is a general dislike of the traditional dealer model.

When I purchased my S, the total price was the listed price ("MSRP" even though Tesla doesn't call it that), plus standard delivery charge of $1200, plus sales tax. No processing fee, documentation fee, dealer prep fee, ADM, market adjustment, advertising fee, rustproofing, nitrogen, pinstripes, undercoating, window tint, fabric protection---all extra charges I have seen dealers ask for over the years. What a pleasure to purchase a car from Tesla. I stopped by the Ford dealer to look at the Mach E, had a $2500 market markup, plus a couple of thousand in other fees. And the selling started immediately. No wonder there is a general dislike of the traditional dealer model.
Yah... wow I ordered my Honda from the factory. It got a $750 vin etch on the windows. That’s dealer, did that even cost you $1 to do?

an ‘Adjustment’ isn’t necessarily a gouge. It’s market rate for being an early adopter. I paid $57k for my lr rwd model 3 in 2018. That isn’t much more car than an sr+. I knew that was the cost of early adoption and I wasn’t pissed. Ford dealer will do same. It’s basic supply/demand. But if a penny more is a gouge to the op, he may as well cancel.
the point is everyone pays the same price during the same period. the market adjustment crap the dealers pull is not even across all buyers and that is part of the problem.

Why not keep the res and line up a buyer who agrees to pay the markup, fees, taxes, and few thousand more for getting the privilege of cutting in line? There are thousands of people out there that would sign up for that opportunity. Hell, you could even register it in your name for a day and take the tax credit and there would still be people willing to buy pay way more than the dealer will mark it up.

Reactions: gmo43
Why not keep the res and line up a buyer who agrees to pay the markup, fees, taxes, and few thousand more for getting the privilege of cutting in line? There are thousands of people out there that would sign up for that opportunity. Hell, you could even register it in your name for a day and take the tax credit and there would still be people willing to buy pay way more than the dealer will mark it up.
Reservations are not transferable. You can't take the tax credit if you are buying the vehicle for resale - if you get caught, you will be audited and the credit will be denied.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Ok I reserved one yesterday. Within minutes of my $ hitting Ford's pocket I received two e-mails. One indicating I have a reservation and the next explaining I was assigned a "local dealer". I get an email from that dealer introducing themselves etc. Ok everything sounds good right? Clearly I forgot I was dealing with the old system. When Raptors and GT's came out you couldn't touch them for anywhere close to MSRP for years. That "market adjustment" thing. And I have to go to that dealer to get my refund!!!! WTF!!!

I would have NEVER placed a reservation had I known. To say I'm pissed is a drastic understatement. I'll be cancelling my order and let you guys know how that goes. Just finished my conversation with said dealership and they say they will be doing market adjustments. When I asked how to get my $ back he said I somehow have to go back to Ford corporate. Clearly the refund part of original welcome FAQ below not correct. Oh I called the dealership. He says he doesn't know anything about how to get a refund. This FAQ data was in the email supposedly from him. It was his phone number at the bottom of the FAQ section.

I had to stop myself from yelling at this point.

The details pasted from my dealer email.

Online Reservation FAQs​

What happens to the reservation deposit once I order?

See your dealer for details. The reservation deposit should be credited or refunded by your dealer as part of the vehicle purchase process. * WTF I sent my $ directly to Ford

Am I buying this vehicle directly from Ford?

No. The purchase agreement will be between you and the dealer, not you and Ford. Clearly the dealership is going to control actual final price.

What price will I pay for my F-150 Lightning?

The pricing for your vehicle will be finalized at time of order. The entry model starts at $39,974 MSRP (commercial-oriented). More-equipped mid-series (XLT) starts at $52,974 MSRP, offering additional comfort and technology. MSRP starting at $39,974 up to around $90,474.1 This reservation does not guarantee you a specific price point.
You obviously don't have the same service center i have. Tesla service has become a joke.

No I won't pay a penny more than MSRP. I haven't bought from any dealer Lexus, Honda anyone for years. The dealershp internet sales manage said the markup won't bel like Raptors or GT's, more like the Ford Broncos. They clearly just don't get it. I was giving Ford a chance. They are not an established EV manufacturer with a huge charging network, etc.

Wonder if Rivian is the same? I know my sale is a drop in the bucket (preorders at more than 45k) but I wonder what will happen when people actually see them change the price. Oh yea and you get to go all around your town trying to find the best deal. Such fun!!! So far no one can tell me how to get my deposit refund.

I'll buy a CyberTruck before I give these guys a penny. I know I'll have to wait but at least I'll know the price.
Funny that 100 dollars is making you go nuts over this. If this process bothers you, you shouldn't be reserving cars bud. Or find a good credit card that will fight for you.
And F-150 EV is a marketing ploy for Ford then? I think that Tesla will be glad to produce way more CT in the first year than Ford.
Haha Tesla doesn't have the factory for that settle down. You are talking about two different companies. One has been in the game pushing out thousands of cars for decades the other has just been around for a decade.

Last edited: