Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of Ordering an X, worried about outstanding issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shudder doesn't happen when you put the suspension on low.

Yes, and no. Agree that it is less noticeable, but still exist to some degree. Another thing that helps is to put the car "Range Mode OFF". It changes the way torque is distributed to the wheels. Also not a solution, but on many cars you will notice less shutter.

Personally, I don't like putting the car in low suspension because of the increased irregular tire wear and some issue with under-body scraping where I live.

I'm a S owner, and now a 3 owner. Im going to buy a X before year end.

However, still kind of on the fence about it as im still seeing many post about build quality.

1. Windshield ghosting. I have this on my S and it drives me insane! Tesla isnt willing or is unable to fix.

This seems too be a personal issue. Some people have a real problem with it and some don't. See if you can test drive at night.
For me, I never would have noticed it I had not seen it on this forum and some people at the G-factory talking about it. I do notice it when I look for it, but having driven cross-country with many hours of that at night on unfamiliar roads, it was not an issue with me on my X.

End of October 2017 X100D delivery.

There is no ghosting at all. We are currently just over 9K kilometers, there is no acceleration shutter. I'm keeping an eye/ear on this though as people state it comes later. My suspension is set to normal and never low or raise.

We had car in for some suspension work. Passenger side was lower than driver side. Also falconwing door seal in passenger side, Water would fall in when we opened door.

They fixed both issues. Apparently replaced some rear suspension parts. They also replace windshield washer nozel parts. It now sends out more fluid. I had complained about window in front of driver not getting enough fluid to clean properly.
They also did some maintenance to AC. Apparently wasn't working properly. Didn't know cause it was winter. I'm waiting on headlight change. I recieved wrongs ones. There is post about this.

Also had sensors on falconwing doors fixed. They stopped detecting things like my garage wall.

Other than that everything is fine. Maybe I'm not as picky as some but I see no issues with panel gaps or doors. I would definately buy again. Its a great vehicle.

12/16 90D delivery.
1. Definitely ghosting. I don't do much driving at night so haven't really pressed the issue.
2. Squeaky FWD doors - they fixed them but one came back, very minor though.
3. No shudder but I don't floor it often.
4. They adjusted some panels so there's some improvement.
5. Dash rattle driver's side - going to bring this up at SC visit next week.

We took delivery of a 3 in January:
1. left driver's window seal failed leaving messy goop
2. right tail light had condensation - both being replaced
3. Small paint chip right front they used some touch paint at delivery but a lot of scratches right rear passenger foot well (looks like somebody stepped on it multiple times with maybe rocks in bottom of shoes) that needs paint so it's at a body shop right now.

I think you're safe getting an X but will have little things to fix after the fact. Definitely some real lemons out there though :(.

Reactions: Cowby
June 2017 X. Ghosting was my primary fear and was so relieved when I didn’t have it. Now of course I got a crack in my windshield from a large rock on the freeway (so much construction everywhere). I’m going in for a new windshield next week...the SC says they haven’t had complaints on that from newly manufactured windshields in a long, long time. Fingers crossed!

I do have acceleration shudder. It’s noticeable but not terrible, though will likely get worse over time. I do believe it’s a defect in the design that is unique to the X, so likely will be resolved with a future refresh. I doubt there is a fix for existing cars, but what do I know - I just post on a forum. I can live with it for now since I love the X otherwise.

Reactions: Cowby
Doesn’t sound like they’ve solved the ghosting issue. Just if you notice it or not. On my S it’s on the driver side eye level.

I’m surprised q4 2017 cars still having issues like water ingress from fwd. I thought that was resolved much earlier on.

I’m not in a super rush to get a X. We do have a 3 to drive around in and a second car when we have 7 people to transport.

I’ll keep watching these forums and wait for things to be more locked down or a refresh before I make a purchase.

Thanks for the replies!

Ummm, you must have not yet received or signed the attestation letter from Tesla that you are not to publicly discuss the repurchasing of your vehicle by Tesla.... can't talk about how I know that....
Correct I have not received anything to sign. We just finished negotiating to keep my car until the new one arrives. I believe @verygreen said Tesla has stopped that NDA practice. Regardless, I’d be happy to stay silence if I had to sign such thing.

I'm a S owner, and now a 3 owner. Im going to buy a X before year end.

However, still kind of on the fence about it as im still seeing many post about build quality.

Some stuff im ok with, like panel gaps. Things im not ok with and still outstanding are:

1. Windshield ghosting. I have this on my S and it drives me insane! Tesla isnt willing or is unable to fix.
2. Acceleration shudder. I also have this on my S. Again, Tesla is unwilling or unable to fix.

I keep my cars as long as they still run. My Iphone 4s is on its third battery, so at some point i think the Tesla will be similar in that as long as i swap out batteries, it will continue to run.

I know theres been a lack of delivery as of late due to ramp up of Model 3 production, but, how are more recent owners finding build quality. Any reservations about ordering?

I bought Model X P100D in October 2017 AP 2.5, six seater. I don't have any acceleration shudder so far. I love the car. My wife loves it more and I don't even get to drive it. So, I thought about ordering a Model S P100D. Looked at a used one (2017 Sep, AP 2.5). Guess what? I like Model X better, may be I am a SUV guy. I like the spaciousness of Model X. Wish it had a better range.