Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of Ordering an X, worried about outstanding issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a S owner, and now a 3 owner. Im going to buy a X before year end.

However, still kind of on the fence about it as im still seeing many post about build quality.

Some stuff im ok with, like panel gaps. Things im not ok with and still outstanding are:

1. Windshield ghosting. I have this on my S and it drives me insane! Tesla isnt willing or is unable to fix.
2. Acceleration shudder. I also have this on my S. Again, Tesla is unwilling or unable to fix.

I keep my cars as long as they still run. My Iphone 4s is on its third battery, so at some point i think the Tesla will be similar in that as long as i swap out batteries, it will continue to run.

I know theres been a lack of delivery as of late due to ramp up of Model 3 production, but, how are more recent owners finding build quality. Any reservations about ordering?

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Hi!

I got my X in September of last year. I have been paying very close attention to the details people usually complain about.

1. The windshield ghosting doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. It is what I was most worried about and have had zero sign of it.
2. As for the shudder - as I understand it develops over time, but I haven't experienced it yet. Based on other reports, they will replace parts as necessary but it eventually comes back. I am concerned about it but I also suspect that Tesla will fix it if it gets out of whack. I am holding off on a preventative SC visit until they can offer a permanent fix.

Overall quality has been good, but there were a few fit and finish items that ended up on my list. I kept a close eye out for them and when my list hit a critical mass, I brought the car in. The SC was very professional and fixed all the major ones and some of the minor ones. Other complaints like tire noise during slow tight turns they said was normal. YMMV I guess.

[Mod note: Referral links are not allowed outside of official referral thread: Tesla Referral Program ]

Last edited by a moderator:
The acceleration shudder is a real concern. It wasn’t very obvious at first but now with 15k+ miles I get the shudder in every punch and I am not even flooring it. I am avoiding hard acceleration nowadays because the shudder is getting quite hideous. Now that Tesla is repurchasing my car I no longer need to deal with it for at least another year on the replacement vehicle.

The shudder doesn't happen when you put the suspension on low. I know that's not a fix, but it does work. I had my CV axles replaced and it fixed the problem. Mine was more than a shudder. It was actually making a buzzing noise under harder acceleration.Hopefully the new shafts are re-designed now so that the problem doesn't come-back.

Shuddering is one my list of concerns as well when I pick up my MX end of March. Interesting to hear that the shudder is a latent issue and develops / worsens over time/mileage.

I was planning to do a test drive and do some hard accelerations in normal / high suspension mode to test Time-0 evaluation.

Anyone know if shuddering a 100% design issue or there's a possibility that some Model X's are issue free?

The shudder doesn't happen when you put the suspension on low. I know that's not a fix, but it does work. I had my CV axles replaced and it fixed the problem. Mine was more than a shudder. It was actually making a buzzing noise under harder acceleration.Hopefully the new shafts are re-designed now so that the problem doesn't come-back.
How many miles on your car? For me putting suspension on low doesn’t help any more.

Shudder is a design issue. I expect them to have a revised part and fix eventually, as they will certainly want to avoid repeatedly replacing the parts.

Ghosting is there on the revised windshield, but if I had not read about it here I would have never seen it. Just look for it at delivery, and refuse delivery if you find it unacceptable. If you are really worried ask to see a few others that are ready for delivery now.

You also forgot about the doors rubbing on that spot in the back. It's easy to mitigate with a couple of patches of paint protection film. I have been told there is an engineering fix coming for that as well.

If that is the fix, it's not that bad. It's about a dollar worth of material and takes around two minutes to install. I do hope there is a more serious one eventually. Maybe a piece of UHMW in the opposing plastic trim part coupled with a paint film chunk cut to shape.

OP should know by now (just by reading this forum) that the build quality of all Tesla vehicles is highly variable, as is the luck of an owner regarding ending up with a Tesla and the possible problems that occur. Also variable is the functionality and capability of the SvC center to effectively resolve many of these issues. I know many owners that maintain their Tesla Love despite multiple issues resolved and not.

As one of the relatively unlucky owners, spoiled by years of enjoying the build quality, service effectiveness, and interest in customer satisfaction AFTER THE SALE of several premium auto manufacturers (Porsche, Lexus, MB), I maintain a challenging balance of tolerating Tesla as a manufacturer and provider of "service" with the enjoyment of driving one.

The acceleration shudder is a real concern. It wasn’t very obvious at first but now with 15k+ miles I get the shudder in every punch and I am not even flooring it. I am avoiding hard acceleration nowadays because the shudder is getting quite hideous. Now that Tesla is repurchasing my car I no longer need to deal with it for at least another year on the replacement vehicle.

Ummm, you must have not yet received or signed the attestation letter from Tesla that you are not to publicly discuss the repurchasing of your vehicle by Tesla.... can't talk about how I know that....

The shudder on my 2nd X (named Meyers, my first was named Eureka) started after a 2K mile trip, less than a month after delivery, actually audibly "rattles" my L FWD, which I insist is loose as more road noise is heard, but "No issue identified, door fitting per specs" says the SvC about the door, and after replacement of all axles without improvement, there is still no reduction of the shudder, or solution identified by Tesa engineers.

I have given up hope this will ever be resolved... Tesla's primary focus is to Sell, Sell, Sell, and less to Support or Owner Satisfaction...

If you don't already know this, lowering the suspension to low will destroy tires, especially a soft tire like Michelin...

See my thread
Rear wheels "Cupping" on 20" w/ Michelins.

After spending $2K on Michelins from the SvC, only to hear the Service Manager comment the following after 5K miles and vehicle-induced tire dysfunction.."that's the cost of driving a premium vehicle".

I am set to "NEVER" lower suspension at higher speeds...

I guess the only thing soon-to-be new owners can do is test drive the car at delivery and confirm its not an issue right off the bat. If it is then refuse delivery?

Great advice in a perfect world, if you don't mind forfeiting the $5K deposit, but highly impractical as the joy, excitement, and enthusiasm of a Tesla owner during delivery will "blind" even the experienced automobile owner, as was I even on delivery of my 2nd X, which replaced my first because of reasons I cannot discuss publicy.

BESIDES, as mentioned the vibration issue may not develop for week or months, nor the non-closing of the cargo door requiring 5 visits (eventualy only resolved by the local body shop), or the "fart" noise heard when the FWD opens or closes (recurring several times after fixing multiple times), or the wackiness of the CPU eventually requiring a new CPU, or........

After 18 months as an Owner, my derived formula for Tesla and Owners...

IntSaT>BQ>SvC>IntCS, where IntSa=Interest in Sales by Tesla, BQ=Build Quality, SvC=Service, and IntCS=Interest in Owner;s Satisfaction

Want proof of this formula, just reads this forum...

I just hate it when I am right, and look forward to all the "thumbs down" by the lucky Tesla Owners and incorrigable Tesla FanBoys

And be aware that if you look at the icons, you'll often see the same problems put in a lot of threads by a few people. Can't blame them - they are not getting the response they want from Tesla, so it makes sense to go here and share wherever appropriate.

I feel your pain. #Tesla's aftercare is #disgusting. They have tried #bully me and I think #elonmusk would sack them all if he knew what I've been threw.

I have had loads of issues with my Model X. Watch my video's which I've uploaded. The car sequels like a pig being strangled.

Tesla

#Tesla have even rejected the their own car legally and they have #threaten me by saying that if I don't take a swap car of their own choice they will force me to take a refund which for me will have huge tax implications.

What kills the most is the swap car is the only one they have offered AND IT'S WORTH £10,000 LESS THAN WHAT I PAID and less spec-ed.

Good Luck

Bilal

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
What I (incorrectly) thought was a problematic shudder turned out to actually be an intentional shudder. In my case, the less-than-perfect pavement and markings would lead the car to think I had drifted across a lane line, particular at the start and end of freeway on-ramps. Once I realized this, I went into Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Lane Departure Warning and turned it off. Drove several days to confirm that there was absolutely no shudder at all, day in and day out. Once I was certain the shudder was intentional, I turned the setting back on.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA