Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thinking of purchasing M3 LR AWD for commuter car in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I' thinking of purchasing a 2021 M3 LR AWD, would this be a good commuter car? I currently drive near 120 miles a day and my ride right now is a 2010 Toyota Camry v6 - major gas guzzler @ 199k miles (only changed oil every 8k, new brakes - rotors and pads @ 175k, new steering hose @ 180k. It's been a very reliable car for me. My other option is purchasing a 2021 Prius Prime Plug-in - $19k after rebate & trade-in. Holding out for NJ rebate from $2k to $5k (July 1st,2021) and federal incentive looks like $10k but after 12/31/2021 I've read so far? Any major issue's with the Tesla vehicles I should look out for, I've read of hiccups of minimal issue's and fitment quality issues. I've had good luck with Toyota products.. but with recent fuel increases has gotten me thinking to full hybrid or Plug-in vehicle for my long commute.

I've been doing this commute for 15 years now and don't mind the drive & not worth the $$$$$$$ to relocate either.. Will the Tesla M3 LR AWD get or last long as my Camry? All recommendations are appreciated in advance.

Has anyone kept their EV - car past 100k miles or more?

from a pure financial side I’d go with the Prius for sure. The model 3 would make your commute more fun I suspect haha, but from a cost perspective it’s hard to argue anything other than the Prius being the winner hands down
I was thinking the same, my commute has not changed and can work remote, but I find it tranquility to be on the road vs being at home :) Both wife and I have similar commute and was thinking the M3 & MY would have been my choices.

Upvote 0
I commute 80 miles a day in my M3P that I just picked up in March. It’s amazing. I have solar panels on my house so my charges are free. I don’t drive conservatively. I drive however I want. Usually leaving my house with 90% charge and coming back home with about 57-60% charge left.
I’m saving so much money on gas, it’s not even fair. Also I live in Arizona. We pay registration fees every year based on the residual price of the car. But with my Tesla I got incentives where I paid $189 for 5 years. My year sticker says 2026 lol. I’m saving saving at least few thousand in 5 years in registration fees plus no more stupid gas.

sorry for the wall of text. My point is, you will save a lot of money on gas alone if you go with Tesla. Not sure what other incentives you can get where you live.

Upvote 0
I commute 80 miles a day in my M3P that I just picked up in March. It’s amazing. I have solar panels on my house so my charges are free. I don’t drive conservatively. I drive however I want. Usually leaving my house with 90% charge and coming back home with about 57-60% charge left.
I’m saving so much money on gas, it’s not even fair. Also I live in Arizona. We pay registration fees every year based on the residual price of the car. But with my Tesla I got incentives where I paid $189 for 5 years. My year sticker says 2026 lol. I’m saving saving at least few thousand in 5 years in registration fees plus no more stupid gas.

sorry for the wall of text. My point is, you will save a lot of money on gas alone if you go with Tesla. Not sure what other incentives you can get where you live.
NJ is coming back with $2k to $5k state rebate for EV vehicles in July (I think) and EV purchases are tax free.

Upvote 0
yes, it does snow in NJ. and the longer commute often traffic will eat up the battery too.

It's actually the other way around, believe it or not. Sitting in traffic on the GSP will be more efficient than highway speeds. Unlike a gas car, you're not burning fuel unnecessarily.

I can say - NJ is about the perfect state to own a Tesla! There's plenty of charging infrastructure (and more coming every day) - the state is small enough that you can get anywhere on a charge - and of course, we have great incentives like $0 sales tax and the upcoming relaunched rebate program.

There's of course, also the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners' Club (www.dvto.club) -- another great reason to own a Tesla here ;-)

Upvote 0
yes, it does snow in NJ. and the longer commute often traffic will eat up the battery too.
Yes, well as @dmurphy said, stop, go, and idle traffic does not eat up battery which is awesome. I live in a snowy zone too but It’s a fairly flat area so I really don’t need awd. Cold weather does eat up battery, however. But if your max drive is 120 miles round trip, the sr+ should be able to handle it even in the cold. Just something to consider I guess

Upvote 0
Yes, well as @dmurphy said, stop, go, and idle traffic does not eat up battery which is awesome. I live in a snowy zone too but It’s a fairly flat area so I really don’t need awd. Cold weather does eat up battery, however. But if your max drive is 120 miles round trip, the sr+ should be able to handle it even in the cold. Just something to consider I guess
I was thinking earlier, it's basically for my wife, she hates to drive in inclement weather. I already have a rear wheel drive car, but it stays in the garage in the colder/rainy days due to summer tires. she always wanted awd, like Subaru crosstrek equivalent. I thought the awd M3 or My would have been perfect for her.

Upvote 0
I was thinking earlier, it's basically for my wife, she hates to drive in inclement weather. I already have a rear wheel drive car, but it stays in the garage in the colder/rainy days due to summer tires. she always wanted awd, like Subaru crosstrek equivalent. I thought the awd M3 or My would have been perfect for her.

I can say, the Model 3 is pretty darn sure-footed in bad weather. I'm lucky enough to work from home (even pre-pandemic) but the few times I do need to go out in the dead of winter, it's always been a rock solid performer.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
I have a Prius Prime so I am a bit bias but I would test drive both with your wife. The Prius Prime might be slightly more economical but the Tesla will be fun, speedy and different. Since you had a Camry you might enjoy a change. I think the ride quality is better in the Prius but the seats and technology are better in the Tesla.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
I have a prius prime also. I got the XLE which is middle of the line and it comes with some nice features that you will find yourself not wanting to live without. The car is fun to drive in electric only for the 25 miles that you get but then your back to it feeling like .. well a Prius. Also if you are looking for room in the trunk then the prius prime is not for you. As a strict long haul commuter, I can when driving it normally get upwards of 65 to 70mpg with it according to the meter which is pretty accurate

I bought a model 3 AWD LR because I like the idea of no gas and its a hell of a car to drive. It has plenty of room to haul what I need. I think you will be fine with a model 3 doing your commute and it may make you like driving that much better

Upvote 0