Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my 2014 S but have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am thinking of selling my beloved S which is about to hit 100k. The warranty will be up next year and worried about the battery having to be replaced. I hang on to it because it has lifetime of free supercharging. My question is to those that have gone through this same dilemma, what did you do? What would you do? I would consider buying to the Y or a Jaguar Ipace. But dream of the Porsche Taycan!

I wouldnt sell the car and get into the Jaguar.....I test drove that ev and the infotainment screen/software is pretty bad. Nothing wrong with the Y, wife just received hers and so far she loves it. Its not as refined obviously as the S, but for an everyday EV, its perfect. There are other EV's on the way, but I think its still a ways out on when they will arrive, think the other brands are overly optimistic on when they actually will get to production........guess it depends on how urgent this is.

I wouldnt sell the car and get into the Jaguar.....I test drove that ev and the infotainment screen/software is pretty bad. Nothing wrong with the Y, wife just received hers and so far she loves it. Its not as refined obviously as the S, but for an everyday EV, its perfect. There are other EV's on the way, but I think its still a ways out on when they will arrive, think the other brands are overly optimistic on when they actually will get to production........guess it depends on how urgent this is.
Thank you! I guess my worry is that, like ICE vehicles, is that it won't live a long life after 100k miles (hard to train the mind to think otherwise, lol) and that owning it after the warranty runs out may be a financially bad decision but maybe I am wrong. You all have me swaying to keeping it. Thank you!

Everyone with a 13/14/15 S will be facing a similar situation soon and after driving the Y and watching reviews of the new Model S I feel pretty confident running my '15 P85D until the wheels fall off (literally). Or until I run into a major out of warranty repair like the HV battery. My warranty will be up in mid-2023 when I hope the CT will be in production. If the S isn't cost effective to maintain by then I'll sell it or trade it in towards the CT or a newer used S.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
Everyone with a 13/14/15 S will be facing a similar situation soon and after driving the Y and watching reviews of the new Model S I feel pretty confident running my '15 P85D until the wheels fall off (literally). Or until I run into a major out of warranty repair like the HV battery. My warranty will be up in mid-2023 when I hope the CT will be in production. If the S isn't cost effective to maintain by then I'll sell it or trade it in towards the CT or a newer used S.
What is the CT? Any idea on how long the battery will last and what the cost is? That is one of my big worries is that it will be super pricey to replace and may need to happen soon. Thanks for your reply!

There are a lot of high mileage Teslas out there. I have over 160k on my Model S. Still a very low maintenance car.
Wonder what that would look like on Teslafi. We only have 70k on our X but it's been to many places.

Attachments

• 1629320285988.png
    1629320285988.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 78
I have two electric cars. A 2016 Tesla S90D and a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E.
Last week I drove the Mach-E from 40 miles north of Philadelphia, PA to Charlottesville, VA without stopping to charge. I had 66 miles left when I arrived. I have never been able to do that with the Tesla. The Tesla has something like 81 kWh available for use. The Mach-E has 88 kWh available for use. It also cost half as much as the Tesla. The only problem was it took 6 months from order to delivery.

I have two electric cars. A 2016 Tesla S90D and a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E.
Last week I drove the Mach-E from 40 miles north of Philadelphia, PA to Charlottesville, VA without stopping to charge. I had 66 miles left when I arrived. I have never been able to do that with the Tesla. The Tesla has something like 81 kWh available for use. The Mach-E has 88 kWh available for use. It also cost half as much as the Tesla. The only problem was it took 6 months from order to delivery.
I am trying to convince my husband to get the Mach E. Nice car! Are you completely happy with it?

I am trying to convince my husband to get the Mach E. Nice car! Are you completely happy with it?
I like the Intelligent Cruise Control much more than AP1 on the Tesla. The 1 pedal driving is better on the MACH-E, it comes to a full stop unlike the Tesla which keeps moving. The Tesla has electric brakes, they could easily have been applied. Charging is more difficult. There not many Electrify America installations on I95.
The Tesla has free charging for the life of the car. I plan to keep both of them. I am not a high mileage driver and last year I didn't go anywhere because of Covid.

Sell your Model S today! This hot used market won’t last forever. I sold my 2015 P85+ AP1 (which I absolutely loved!) because it was out of warranty, and little things were breaking such as the instrument cluster and doorhandles. For an additional $20K, I got a 2021 Model 3 Performance with full self driving and I’m hopelessly in love.

Exactly my thoughts and what I’m doing with my ‘15 P85D 👍. Only has 62K miles and who knows battery might last another 10 years!

I have 158k miles on my 85s. Full charge is at 241 miles. Only a 10% degradation! Not bad for a 7 year old car. I have AP1 so I will be probably driving until the wheels fall off or when FSD finally gets released haha. I am warrantied still until November 2022.

The only thing is the instrument cluster probably needs an update to MCU2 and the AC makes the car small a little funky at times, but the only thing that actually needs maintenance is the tires lol.

… the AC makes the car small a little funky at times …
If your car AC smells like mildew or mold, it almost certainly has actual mildew or mold! Bacteria grows in the system where moisture typically collects — especially on the A/C's evaporator.

If your mold or mildew problem seems mild, there are over-the-counter remedies available. If you're looking for something with an easy application, try a vent and duct cleaner you can spray into your vents to help neutralize the odor. For a long-term solution, the system needs to be taken apart & parts cleaned. Also, the interior air filter needs to be replaced.