Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my S60 for a new long range S. Thoughts/questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stopped selling Standard range Model S/X (too close to a Model 3 in pricing) and then decided to throw in Ludicrous mode for free on the Performance models, which is just flipping a switch in software and doesn't increase manufacturing costs. They probably figured they would get more profit by selling more Performance models at a lower price.

Naturally the volumes will go down when you don't sell the low end models. They probably figured it's better to use the capacity on Model 3/Model Y.

Tesla stopped selling Standard range Model S/X (too close to a Model 3 in pricing) and then decided to throw in Ludicrous mode for free on the Performance models, which is just flipping a switch in software and doesn't increase manufacturing costs. They probably figured they would get more profit by selling more Performance models at a lower price.

Naturally the volumes will go down when you don't sell the low end models. They probably figured it's better to use the capacity on Model 3/Model Y.
Flipping that ludicrous switch increases replaced batteries. Do you know how much a 100 battery costs? In 8 yrs on average your probably giving 2 batteries per performance car. Tesla will slowly take away some of the unheard of warranties if they continue to be profitable. 8 yrs unlimited miles for battery and motors is amazing!

A
Combined.

Are you comparing new car sales as in not used or not new used?
Tesla has had a huge advantage over everyone and still does with their charging network. Other companies are not going to be able to compete overnight however Porsche will sell more cause they have a true Peformance EV. But it will be difficult to get anyone that isn’t very well off to jump ship.
Things like FUSC and 8 yr warranties don’t hurt. If I had the money I would get a Porsche for sure. I’ve had the Model S in several trims. Plus I want a car that can do what Tesla’s may never do for awhile. That’s go non stop without overheating which they spent a it of time investing to figure it out
Plus the few Porsche’s I’ve owned were the best cars I have ever owned when it comes to retaining their value. I only like the Panamera until the Taycan besides the 918!of course.

Reactions: Watts_Up
The Model S and X are great cars. They are due for some updates of the interior and possibly the batteries.
The 60 has too small a battery for todays standards.
Upgrade to 75 if you can. It will sell easier and for a better price.

Last edited:
Well from what I see the Model S is selling like hotcakes. Inventory cars last a few hours before being snatched up. I picked up a Performance model on Sunday and 2 others were being sold at the same time. When I was looking at BMW, their luxury models sit on lots for months before being sold at huge discounts.

Yea you must get all your info from electrek

Quite the opposite

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekin...4174-teslas-q1-and-q2-2020-will-be-disastrous

Like I said I do not think you will see a new Model S or X. However since no one has been buying these cars that means if they stop making them they will retain their value greatly as the demand will be largely outweighed by the supply especially once they are no longer for sale. So go get yourself a Raven OP!

Though sales are down, S and X still lead their class in market share, and still have better margins. Given that Tesla pre- announced plaid Powertrain and interior upgrades (Osborne effect), and space is needed for Y in Fremont, I could see them closing the S line for several quarters (and maybe also X line), then start new combined S/X line with new components later in the year. They will have to shutdown for some amount of time to reconfigure factory regardless.