Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my S60 for a new long range S. Thoughts/questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new S60 in April 2017. It's been great. I haven't been keeping as up to date lately with Tesla news but saw that the new long range is around 80k. I don't always have to have the latest and greatest. My 60 has been great but if I can upgrade to 370 range, a much faster car with more options than my 60 has trying to think of any reasons not to do it.

I paid about 80k for my S and owe about 39k. I'm paying $970 a month. I'm in NJ so no sales tax. I won't get the huge tax break I got originally but will get a tiny bit back.

It looks like if I put about 10-15k down on the new S I'll be around $1100/72 month which is fine.

My S has a couple dings, nothing too major. Someone bumped into my in a parking lot a couple years ago when I wasn't there and the back right does have a slightly bigger ding but I barely notice it. Other than that I've taken pretty good care of it. It has ceramic paint protection and Xpel on the front. It has 21k miles. Regular 60, no D.

Based on the options I have looks like I can sell it for around 50-55k private.

Based on this info is there any big reason not to sell it and get a new one?

Last edited:
Yea I thought about that. For me personally the extra, actual ~25 miles or so wasn't worth it. I wonder if there are other people out there who would rather save the 2k. I'll look into price differences. It's probably worth it though.

I drove it from NJ to Los Angeles and back as a 60 in 2017.

I’ve been thinking the same originally bought S60 in Dec 2016 AP2 with FSD. Was about 79k , current long range is about 80k without FSD but 373 mile range compared to about 190 at 100%, it was software unlocked because of hurricanes in Florida last couple years 100% was 224 , it’s a no brained to go new long range. Only thing disappointing was getting FSD in Dec 2016

My S has a couple dings, nothing too major. It has ceramic paint protection and Xpel on the front. It has 21k miles. Regular 60, no D.
I just traded in my 2016 X90D for a new 2020 Long Range Model S. I'd guess your trade-in value is a bit more than you owe on it. Adding maybe $5-7K for retail gets you to mid $40's.

I bought a new S60 in April 2017. It's been great. I haven't been keeping as up to date lately with Tesla news but saw that the new long range is around 80k. I don't always have to have the latest and greatest. My 60 has been great but if I can upgrade to 370 range, a much faster car with more options than my 60 has trying to think of any reasons not to do it.

I paid about 80k for my S and owe about 39k. I'm paying $970 a month. I'm in NJ so no sales tax. I won't get the huge tax break I got originally but will get a tiny bit back.

It looks like if I put about 10-15k down on the new S I'll be around $1100/72 month which is fine.

My S has a couple dings, nothing too major. Someone bumped into my in a parking lot a couple years ago when I wasn't there and the back right does have a slightly bigger ding but I barely notice it. Other than that I've taken pretty good care of it. It has ceramic paint protection and Xpel on the front. It has 21k miles. Regular 60, no D.

Based on this info is there any big reason not to sell it and get a new one?
Honestly I would get one soon as I believe Tesla is going to discontinue the S and X before they ever release the plaid S. For the last 3 yrs(ever since the 3) sales have been so poor that all other auto manufacturers would have pulled the plug on them which is unfortunate. If they would’ve released the 3 after they updated the S and X with the superior battery in the 3 the issue would’ve never been so dramatic. But they didn’t and even though the S looks better and has more going on it’s hard to convince any buyer to pay the difference in price for a car with an inferior battery/engine in any case. Jump on it before it’s too late. Tesla is going to go prioritize the mid market range since they have had so many more sales. The bad part is the margins are dwarfed from selling an S compared to a 3. And Tesla needs to focus on making more per every model 3 they sale to become a consistently profitable company. If you were to swap the sales of the S compared to the 3 Tesla would be the most talked about business in the world. I understand that the demographics allow more buyers to buy a 3 based on price but the reality is that the S is $60k less than what it was when they were selling more. I think the P85D (the first true ground breaking EV and the Raven will become collector cars. The Raven mainly due to the fact that there will not be very many around and of course the added range and speed.
FYI your price value for your 60 is way off. I’m not one to bash on what someone thinks or puts their car up for sale at, but you’re way off on the value. And not in a good way, it’s worth way less than you think. Just FYI so you’re not shocked when you go too sale.

well, they don't seem to build any extra, that is for sure. Every one is custom and they don't discount, unless there are miles on it. If they can direct almost all their resources to the 3 and the Y for now, then the S will continue to sell in small volumes, with little new engineering costs that aren't shared across the platforms.

Well from what I see the Model S is selling like hotcakes. Inventory cars last a few hours before being snatched up. I picked up a Performance model on Sunday and 2 others were being sold at the same time. When I was looking at BMW, their luxury models sit on lots for months before being sold at huge discounts.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Well from what I see the Model S is selling like hotcakes. Inventory cars last a few hours before being snatched up. I picked up a Performance model on Sunday and 2 others were being sold at the same time. When I was looking at BMW, their luxury models sit on lots for months before being sold at huge discounts.

Model S still outsells Audi Etron and Jaguar I pace.

The tesla.com inventory search always has model S and X cars in new and old, but model 3 constantly sells out, despite selling many times more vehicles.

The question for Tesla isn't if they should sell S and X, its going to be if its worth the factory space to continue to build them vs expanding model 3 and Y lineups (and CT, roadster, semi).

I think that a car company needs halo vehicles - their best cars bring up the entire lineup in car reviews and makes the brand seem higher end than if they only sold cheap cars (yeah, i know model 3 avg sales price is $50k, so not "cheap" cheap). The tri motor S would give them that. And if they are making tri motor, then there isn't much to lose to continue selling AWD model S as well.

So I don't see it going away even though it may not be their primary focus.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Model S still outsells Audi Etron and Jaguar I pace.
They won’t come out with Plaid Model S or X. The reason they dropped the price $60k was to see if it would boost sales. It didn’t like they would’ve needed to make the Plaid S. All it did was upset a ton of buyers who paid the original price and the first price cut. He only did the Plaid to show Porsche that the Tesla was faster. All they were doing was testing the roadster setup in an S. Too many other cars too focus on that will outsell the S and X it’s not worth the time when they won’t be able to keep up with all the other orders.

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and ZappCatt
Elon even said himself a few months ago that the S and X were still only around for sentimental value.

When you drop the price by a 1/3 of its original price and it doesn’t boost sales it’s tough to waste anytime and focus any energy into it. Especially when they struggle as is with manufacturing cars and have a lot coming out. So they have a full plate which I wish they would make the plaid but they blew that opportunity to crush it with the S by making a much cheaper car with superior batteries.(Model 3)