Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my Vette for a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Repairs: as long as battery, PEM and motor are ok the rest is basic (down to earth) car stuff much from the Lotus Elise (HVAC parts e.g.)
Well, not everything else. I had the same experience as @josh-io stated above: $1.2K to replace the 12V Switchpack board, nothing to do with the drivetrain. This is a unique Roadster part (as far as I know) that of course one cannot get from anyone else but Tesla. Therefore, expensive. Not complaining, just stating a fact.

That said, again I reiterate that the Roadster is incredibly fun to drive, looks amazing, and has a unique place in Tesla and EV history. I hope to have mine for as long as possible!

Repairs: as long as battery, PEM and motor are ok the rest is basic (down to earth) car stuff much from the Lotus Elise (HVAC parts e.g.)
Well, not everything else. I had the same experience as @josh-io stated above: $1.2K to replace the 12V Switchpack board, nothing to do with the drivetrain. This is a unique Roadster part (as far as I know) that of course one cannot get from anyone else but Tesla. Therefore, expensive. Not complaining, just stating a fact.

That said, again I reiterate that the Roadster is incredibly fun to drive, looks amazing, and has a unique place in Tesla and EV history. I hope to have mine for as long as possible!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Are there 3rd party warranties? If so, are they worth it? For most cars, I'm sure it's no big deal. But a with only 2500 sold, that might be a deal breaker for 3rd party warranty providers.

I know that, for the most part, EVs are not that problem prone. And considering my Vette has been in the shop twice in two weeks for the same issue (speed sensor), I'm pretty sure that it's still more reliable.

I read on here that Tesla isn't treating it's roadster owners like it used to. That's a shame. But I bought a loaded, top of the line Corvette from Chevy and they treated me no different than if I hadn't bought a car from them at all. So, no matter what it's no change for me. GM sucks in general. :(

I’ve been an F-body guy most of my life, and my last car was a 2011 Mustang, as I’ve needed those back seats for the kids until recently. My parents have owned six new Corvettes since 1992, when I was only 12 years old. So I’m familiar with how manufacturers like Chevy treat their owners.

I purchased my Roadster last August, partly based on how great I heard Tesla support was; I thought it would be nice to have a company that treats me better than your average GM dealer does. I work from home now so this car is more for having fun driving around town than as a daily commuter which I thought would help as well. I’m looking at around 3k miles per year of use; nothing heavy at all. Which also lets me baby it and avoid rain, snow, and salt. So far, I find myself longing for the days of dealing with Ford dealerships...

The first day I had it I noticed an error popping up in my OVMS app. When I called Tesla they said a cooling fan was shot and the car was running on reduced power, but I never received any warning about that from the car itself. If I didn't have OVMS I would have been driving around with that for who knows how long. It then took them two weeks to get my car in, and I had to drive 165 miles to drop the car off, though at least they flatbeded it to and from the SC from that point on. My Ford and Chevy dealers always had me in the same week, and they were just a few miles away.

When it was in I asked them to look at the stereo. I have the upgraded sound system but it sounds horrifying. It’s so screachy it hurts my ears even when turned down to volume 2-3, and I’ve had several others comment on it as well. I’ve never in my life owned a car with such a terrible (even painful) sounding system, so I figured something must be wrong. I played around with every setting imaginable to make it sound better until I could get it looked at but with little success.

I reported this and the SC said that they made some adjustments to fix it. When I got the car back I found that they just adjusted the bass and treble controls. This is something I could see a GM dealership doing, and then I would just stop going there and choose one of the hundreds of other dealerships/mechanics around here; not an option with this car.

After getting my car back I didn’t have much of a chance to enjoy it before putting it away for the winter. But I decided to upgrade my stereo while it was sitting in the garage and asked the SC for help. This is something I’ve done to just about every car I've ever owned, as have most people I know; stereo upgrades are extremely common. And in this case it was especially important given that the sound system was so bad I now actually drove around without my stereo on (that’s unthinkable if you know me...it made owning the car miserable).

I just went back and counted. I sent 67 emails and made countless phonecalls to two different people over a 3 month period, receiving almost no information, and being told they had to keep checking on it as if I were asking to add a second cockpit. In the end, despite being told in the beginning it was possible and I just needed to get some technical information from them, I was told if I made the slightest alteration it could void my warranty and likely cause damage to the electrical system, and could cause “as much as $20,000 in damage”.

They offered no other help in solving my problem other than suggesting I look online at what others have done. My research led me to some solutions that involved an external battery that needs separately charged, often in a sound system costing in the range of $6k – $10k. With everything I just spent on the car I could hardly afford $2k! In the end I did find a solution using an app on my cell phone with a 11-band equalizer and listen only to bluetooth music now, but it’s just barely passable in terms of quality. And I'm stuck with barely any bass response compared to what I'm used to.

I’ve had two separate speakers blown in the past, one in my Firehawk and one in a Mustang; both were replaced under warranty by the dealership within a week. I’ve added new speakers, subs, head units, amps, sound processors, etc to every car I’ve ever owned and the dealers were happy to answer any questions I had along the way within a day; not after chasing them for months. There is no comparison.

When I pulled the car out this spring I immediately received a “powertrain problem, service required” message each time I started driving. I contacted Tesla who put me in touch with a local tech who came to physically pull my logs requiring me to be available in the middle of the day (not a problem for me, but would be for most people). Again, I sent 72 emails between the two people I was working with, and my car wasn’t in until over 5 weeks after I reported the problem. This included one scheduled pickup, which I missed my daughter’s softball game to be home for, that never happened; I called the next day furious that the truck never showed and they blamed me, even though I have the email clearly verifying it.

The original tech said it would be fine to drive so I did during the first few weeks (but cautiously and unenthusiastically), and the second told me definitely don’t drive it making me worried about when I did. No one would ever tell me what the logs said or what the problem was. They supposedly fixed it, and the error is gone, but I still don’t know what the original cause was.

Starting about two weeks before that repair work I began asking about extending my warranty, which would expire three months later. I asked over 15 times in email and on the phone and the question was ignored or brushed off each time. I was eventually told I had to do it through My Tesla, but when I logged in I found no cars under my account. Several more emails and over a week later I was told this is because I didn’t buy it as a CPO. Finally, a few days ago, less than a month before my warranty is up, I was told that extensions are only available to original owners. From what I hear they are so expensive as to be useless anyway ($12k).

I've certainly had warranties expire through GM, but I've never had a problem finding extended warranty providers, even if I didn't usually use them. I’ve contacted seven different extended warranty providers so far. None cover Teslas. Next I’m going to check in with Progressive who insures the car and see if they offer any sort of extended protection, but I’m not hopeful. And, of course, though Corvette repairs aren't cheap, they aren't in the same ballpark as the numbers you've seen in other posts in this thread.

I understand where you’re coming from. I spent 8 years dreaming and saving, hoping to one day finally afford this car. I took that plunge partly because I always heard about how good Tesla support was to deal with. Now, after my experience owning it, I’m just left terrified of what’s going to happen after the warranty ends. Sure, it seems like my problem were mostly minor things, but the sheer volume of work and focus required to get anything done, and the thought of what happens if a major thing follows suite with the minor things, and the fact I’ve owned it for all of 4 driving months and 2k miles, makes me very nervous.

According to 2015 salary statistics I’m in the 96th percentile, but if something goes wrong and I’m stuck with a $7500 repair bill I’m going to be left with a very shiny paperweight. This has biased my experience of driving the car at all, and it no longer feels nearly as exciting as when I first decided to buy one. At this point I'm seriously considering trading to a Corvette; yes I'd hate to go back to burning fuel, but electric may just not be economically feasible for me at this point. And given the treatment I've received, I'm not sure how I feel about buying another Tesla car even when they do drop into my price range (Model III).

So a word of caution before trading in that Corvette; if you’re not a one-percenter you’re taking a very big risk, and may not find driving the car so much fun once you experience the fragility of your financial situation in owning one. On the other hand, if you are a one-percenter, go for it; without the hassle and worry of maintenance costs it's a blast to own and drive!

So a word of caution before trading in that Corvette; if you’re not a one-percenter you’re taking a very big risk, and may not find driving the car so much fun once you experience the fragility of your financial situation in owning one. On the other hand, if you are a one-percenter, go for it; without the hassle and worry of maintenance costs it's a blast to own and drive!
My experience has been very different. Tesla Service has generally treated me very well, with some exceptions. I've been out of warranty for over 2 years with minimal repairs that hardly cost anything and I usually drive the car every day. I've got 43k miles on the clock and expect to drive it for a long time. Oh, and one more thing, I'm not a 1-percenter.

I’ve been an F-body guy most of my life, and my last car was a 2011 Mustang, as I’ve needed those back seats for the kids until recently. My parents have owned six new Corvettes since 1992, when I was only 12 years old. So I’m familiar with how manufacturers like Chevy treat their owners.

Unfortunately, comparing the Roadster to a Mustang or even a Corvette just isn't a fair comparison (when looking at things like "reliability" and "repair costs"). You're better off comparing it to low-production/high-performance exotics. Think Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc.

I've been looking at the possibility of trading in my Roadster for a Lotus Elise SC, then upon learning that the nearest Lotus dealership is in New Jersey (I live in the Washington DC area...a 3.5 hour drive away (assuming the car ran)); that dampened my enthusiasm for the Lotus.

I too was drawn in by the "it's only $600 a year for annual maintenance", "the drivetrain is very simple, only one moving part", etc. Unfortunately, when something DOES break, it's beaucoup bucks!

At this point I'm seriously considering trading to a Corvette; yes I'd hate to go back to burning fuel, but electric may just not be economically feasible for me at this point. And given the treatment I've received, I'm not sure how I feel about buying another Tesla car even when they do drop into my price range (Model III).

I like to tell people that EVs are the cars of the future...unfortunately, I'm stuck living here in the present.

All of that being said, the Roadster is an absolute BLAST to drive. Even zipping around traffic here in DC, it's a hoot.

I often tell people that the hardest part about driving the Roadster is NOT giggling like a 12-year-old girl every time you stick your foot in it.

To the OP @Crash83K, do your research (this forum is an awesome resource. The good, the bad, the ugly. It's all here.) In my opinion, if you're still asking questions like "Does it Supercharge?" and "How do the seats feel?" you're not ready to even consider one yet.

Find someone local who's either selling one, or willing to take you for a spin in theirs. The cabin is tight, by anyone's standard, the creature-comforts are sparse. It has what you need (A/C, stereo, navigation, heated seats, headlights, etc.) but not a whole lot more than that.

Cargo room is seriously lacking. If you get the 2.0 or 2.5, you get a "Glove box"...and understand that this is a terribly appropriate name for it. It has room for ONE glove in it...not a pair.

• Informative
My experience has been very different. Tesla Service has generally treated me very well, with some exceptions. I've been out of warranty for over 2 years with minimal repairs that hardly cost anything and I usually drive the car every day. I've got 43k miles on the clock and expect to drive it for a long time. Oh, and one more thing, I'm not a 1-percenter.
I may have just had bad luck so far, and I hope my experience changes for this summer. It could be a mileage thing too; I bought mine with 47k miles, and am just over 49k now.

Unfortunately, comparing the Roadster to a Mustang or even a Corvette just isn't a fair comparison (when looking at things like "reliability" and "repair costs"). You're better off comparing it to low-production/high-performance exotics. Think Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc.
Yes, very true if trying to give the car an objective rating in its' class. But as the OP is considering switching from a Corvette and is most familiar with GM service procedures, it's a very relevant comparison to help them get a feel for how owning a Tesla will be different.

All of that being said, the Roadster is an absolute BLAST to drive. Even zipping around traffic here in DC, it's a hoot.

I often tell people that the hardest part about driving the Roadster is NOT giggling like a 12-year-old girl every time you stick your foot in it.
Can't argue with that! :)

Gotta love the attention it gets too.

Find someone local who's either selling one, or willing to take you for a spin in theirs. The cabin is tight, by anyone's standard, the creature-comforts are sparse. It has what you need (A/C, stereo, navigation, heated seats, headlights, etc.) but not a whole lot more than that.
To the OP: you mentioned being on the other side of the country, but if you happen to make it to the Pittsburgh area for vacation (ha!) or business, send me a PM and I'll give you a test drive.

I guess two points are being discussed here, Service and Reliability... Tesla service depends a lot on the particular Service Center you're dealing with. Mine (Rocklin, California) is fantastic. Very responsive, and supportive of the Roadster community. (The service manager is reported to be one of the original Roadster techs, and that helps!) When I was buying my Roadster, sight unseen, I had a week once it arrived to accept it or send it back. Tried to set up an appointment, but the SC was slammed at the time, and couldn't get it in for a review. Bummer, I thought. Then a few minutes after that phone call, they called me back and got me linked up with one of the local owners to check it out. (Thanks, Bonnie!) Happy ending.

Second topic is about reliability. The car is, fundamentally, a limited production prototype. Each car has, well, "character". Mine seemed to be flakier than most, especially in the fan / cooling department. It took a few trips (and a bit of credited "good will" by the SC) to get it worked out; just needed some foam weather stripping around the PEM fan ducting, and a refurbished PEM and wiring harness (at almost no cost!) to correct a burned set of contacts.

Right now I'm seeing some new errors in the log. Two points on this: 1. With just a USB stick, I actually get to see the detailed logs and there are free community-provided tools to read and understand them. I don't get this sort of access on any other car I've ever owned. But, 2. The errors relate to what appears to be a drive train sensor that's going out (or loose, or something), and it's giving false readings. The standard "fix" is to replace the drive train ($10k). So, the take-away is that the car wasn't exactly designed for serviceability. Exaggerating slightly, it would be like replacing the entire engine on an ICE if it needed a new thermostat. The SC is looking at what sort of options / deal they can work out (like what they did for the refurbished PEM)... Story not closed on this one yet, but the car still drives just fine. I just keep it in the garage when the temps are over 100F. Probably would anyway.

Bottom line, go in with your eyes open. Even with all of what has happened, I am still glad to have bought the car. It's that much fun, and that important to the whole EV movement. I consider it an honor and a privilege to own and drive one.

So, just today, I wrote an article about the decision making process of whether or not to buy a used Roadster. I hope you find it informative and useful.

Love your blog post.
This line had me grinning, "...most people who own Ferrari's don't actually try to launch 0-60 in 3.7 seconds at every single stop light or on-ramp. I assure you, that every Tesla Roadster owner revels is doing that, every single time."

@Crash83K - I also live in LA (near Playa Vista). Shoot me a message if you want to meet up in the next few days and take a spin in a 1.5 Roadster. Though, truth be told, I'm ambivalent about letting someone with the user name "Crash" drive :)

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff
I hate to pander but to those with service woes, there are companies who are developing (and have developed) the necessary tools/resources to repair your vehicles... (or at a minimum sell you some of the "only from Tesla" parts if you don't feel comfortable taking your vehicle anywhere but TESLA)

I won't name names, but I am intimately aware of one... And I know there is at least 1 motor/drivetrain available right now for gregd too! ;-)

Anyway, I'm trying to justify selling the Vette for a Roadster...
Ha. This thread is great. I keep going through a similar mental exercise - considering selling my 911 for a Roadster. Mine is a relatively rare model that is going up in value. I think I can make a (roughly) even trade for a 2.5 Sport. I'd expect both cars to appreciate long term.

So, just today, I wrote an article about the decision making process of whether or not to buy a used Roadster. I hope you find it informative and useful.

John Ratcliff's Weblog: Should you buy a used Tesla Roadster sports car? The definitive answer blog post

I liked your analysis. You mostly nailed it. The one thing that you missed is that in addition to running out of battery capacity, the Roadster is a bad track car because it overheats if you drive it like you should on a track. It's only good for 5-10 minutes of really spirited driving and it cuts power. As much as I love my Roadster, I think I'd much rather have and Elise at the track (which is lighter, too).

I think that maybe my maintenance experience has been worse than most, too. I've had tons of things go wrong, from little stuff like the TPMS (several times), to the anti-lock brake system (which, when it was out allowed me to do threshold braking, but still...), to a failed strut, two blown PEMs (one under warranty, one $10K), a replaced battery (warranty), a replaced steering wheel (!) (something related to the airbag), now the motor fan failed ($1500 and worse still something like a month without the car). I've had body damage twice (once hitting a raccoon, the other someone backing into me when I was parked, probably because the car was too small to see). That didn't cost to get fixed (insurance, and once not even mine), but it took forever, as in a couple of months each time.

On the other hand, my battery has done really well. I've got 105K miles on the car (and maybe 10K less on the battery) and it rage charges to something like 214 miles, so about 12% loss.

105K miles on an exotic sportscar is VERY good... I read about the fella who cashed in all his savings after a divorce to buy a lambo and drive across the country for a while, I don't think he put on nearly that many miles and in the end his engine needed to be replaced and the bill for that was around $60K, IIRC...

I keep going back to thinking its all about perspective, if someone buys a Roadster who comes from the world of lambo, ferrari, etc. they won't be shocked or put-off by the repair costs (as they come up), for someone who is buying it as an EV nut (like myself) and enthusiast of the technology but would otherwise own a relatively cheap vehicle (like a Leaf or Volt/Bolt) the repair costs are going to seem outlandish...

I think "most" Roadster drivers are people who wouldn't otherwise spend $100K+ on an exotic sports car so the result is many are seeing repair bills in the 5 figure range and being totally shocked/off-put by them, simply because it isn't somethint they are accustomed to. I have a buddy who drives a Roadster and his previous vehicle was a Ferrari 348, for him the repair costs on his Roadster are super cheap... It's all perspective...

>On the other hand, my battery has done really well. I've got 105K miles on the car (and maybe 10K less on the battery) and it rage charges to something like 214 miles, so about 12% loss.

So far, knock on carbon fiber, I've had no issues with my car. Then again, I've only had it for two months. Getting a 214 range charge on a car with over a 100k miles! That's amazing!

I didn't know that about driving the car on the track. I've driven mine *extremely* aggressively on some back country roads for a lengthy period of time and it was nothing but a fantastic experience every time. Of course, that's not going over 100mph on a track, so I guess that's the difference.

I didn't know that about driving the car on the track. I've driven mine *extremely* aggressively on some back country roads for a lengthy period of time and it was nothing but a fantastic experience every time. Of course, that's not going over 100mph on a track, so I guess that's the difference.

I got it to overheat on a go kart track where I never got above about 70, and that only for a tiny fraction of the time. It's essentially all sharp turns. The motor was essentially at full power (either pushing or regen) nearly all of the time. That said, it's hard to overemphasize just how much fun it is to drive a Roadster on a go kart track before it overheats. The combination of power and handling, along with keeping the speeds in the range where the Roadster does best is just hard to beat.

It also overheated on a big track running 100+, but that's a little less surprising.

Reactions: RobsJester
After seeing the problems some have had, I feel very fortunate with my Roadster. When mine hit 3 years I thought about getting an extended warranty to take it to 6 years, but now that I'm at 7 years I am glad I did not - it would have been wasted money.

With 7 years and 57k miles of driving, using full acceleration every chance I get, and even taking it on a small autocross course as part of a driving class...my car has never overheated. Obviously they can and have on the track, but it does sound like it's not something you have to worry about for street use.

Similarly, I love the Roadster's handling (and even more, the steering feel), and only once have I noticed the strong understeer - on that autocross course. It was pretty bad, though I hear the adjustable suspension can help quite a bit. But again, for street use, it shouldn't be something that will diminish your joy in driving the car.

Roadster overheating... my two cents ;)

On normal driving you barely get one of the parts overheated
Going into the hills on small roads and pushing it it will leave some heat on the motor
Autobahn over 140-150 km/h you will get an overheated motor after some time for sure (even on cold winter days)
A race track will probably lead to a overheated motor and a stressed PEM.

When it gets over 30 degrees outside temp. you might run into some overheating problems with the motor and maybe the PEM.
The active cooling of the battery with the HVAC works quite well. (Thats why in the MS and MX all parts are liquid cooled and hooked up to the HVAC system...)

What is essential for a healthy Roadster is the cleaning of the air flow of the fans, the PEM and the motor.
Since I did a disassembly of PEM and motor air flow parts and cleaning them with pressurized air I experienced a significant better cooling.
Also my battery overheated in the beginning due to a not filled HVAC system but now works like a charm....
(I bought it second hand and the company which owned it from the start did not really look to good after it...)

Would I prefer another car? Yes, my Model S during sh...y weather but anything else? NO ;)
And with the "are those lights from the 18th century running on whale oil" lamps I avoid taking the Autobahn during nighttime.
With a flat and black car like my Roadster you are easily overseen...

BUT: Every time I hit the "more electrons please" pedal I am total convinced that I did the right decision to buy this beauty and even if its just 2-3 deg. outside I still prefer the open Roadster on a sunny day over the Model S...