Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling/trading the Model 3, want more space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a 2019 Model 3 Long Range AWD with Accel Boost and FSD, Blue, 15k miles, good shape. Tesla said it's a 43k trade in; I owe 35k on it, 4 years left on a 6 year loan. Car payment $750 a month.

So I've been debating selling my Tesla Model 3 or trading it in for something with more space. I'd like to have something that can fit more stuff on road trips. Right now I've got a 1 year old kid, and between the car seat and the stroller, long road trips (I drive 500 miles and stay ~10 days to see family) are tight in space. Also things like going to the airport for long trips (go overseas to see family for 2-3 weeks every year) is tough to fit all the stuff. It's also inconvenient to do outdoor stuff in the Model 3 (camping and bicycles). It's fine for a day trip, and if I have a second kid it would be fine for that.

So basically my Model 3 is close to maxed out now in the scenario where it needs the most space. But I don't really need a new car. The other two cars in the household are a 2019 Mustang and a 2002 Miata. The Mustang is a lease that's up in a year but I kind of want more space sooner for summer activities.

Right now I'm between going Model Y, keeping what I have for a while, and getting a minivan (probably a buy or lease a new Pacifica). I can get a Pacifica hybrid for dirt cheap, like a loaded one for 40k then the $7500 tax credit. You lose Stow 'n' Go 2nd row but I don't think that's strictly necessary. I test drove one and it's pretty meh to drive. The AWD non hybrids drive much better but are a lot more expensive in terms of course fuel cost but also far fewer incentives/credits. I'm not concerned about the "image" of a minivan. It's all about practicality, but of course a Model 3 is way more fun to drive.

The Model Y is probably the most expensive choice up front, although depreciation will be better. I spec'd out the one I would want and it's a Red LR AWD with tow hitch, white interior, base wheels and 7 seat interior. They are so backlogged on orders though, it says 5-8 weeks for delivery. In 2019 I ordered my Model 3 in late April and got it in 2 weeks (not sure what the delivery estimate was though). They had a $3500 tax credit that year.

I've also thought of a used minivan for occasional use. I can get a decent condition Caravan or Town and Country for $10k with well under 100k miles. It just gets to be a pain having 4 cars to shuffle around. I've got a 2 car garage and a 2 car wide driveway, so it's possible to do so.

Why not rent something bigger for what you describe as "occasional use?" Buying and selling or adding cars is very expensive to address an occasional use, and you could pay for a lot of rentals before you broke even, if ever.

Also, it's a good example of why leases can suck for some people. If your situation/needs change, having a lease vehicle makes it harder to adapt to those changes, and almost never saves money overall.

your best bet is to upgrade to a model y

you can get better value for your car through carvana or private sale - tesla low balls for trade-in's

i personaly have two kids myself (7 and 11 years old) and my 7 yr old uses the booster now....can't imagine a chunky car seat in the back of the 3

such a relief and space saver once the kids dont need a stroller and carseat anymore

but you will be looking at a few more years with the baby accessories - and perhaps longer if you decide to pop out more kids

a model 3 just isnt ideal for that situation

Reactions: JohnnyEV
Get a roof rack and a cargo box for your Model 3 and just put them on when you do your long trips. Driving on the freeway at 75 mph
pushed my average energy use to 340 Wh/mil (normally 280-300) but that's what you'll also get with a Model Y.

photo_2021-04-15_11-59-40.jpg

Get a roof rack and a cargo box for your Model 3 and just put them on when you do your long trips. Driving on the freeway at 75 mph
pushed my average energy use to 340 Wh/mil (normally 280-300) but that's what you'll also get with a Model Y.

View attachment 654049
This is an excellent idea, but maybe the OP really just 'wants' to upgrade to the Y :rolleyes: I know I have considered 😂 it for similar reasons 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: silenteski
Significant other or partner have a secondary vehicle that can be the trip vehicle?

I have a 2020 Ram Limited that may be getting traded for a Tesla; still on fence about M3P, MYP or wait for tri motor cybertruck. The reason I might wait is for GREEN bill and american jobs plan bill to get (potentially) 10k point of sale rebate and 7k tax incentive. Im sure agreed bill will be less, but potential.

If i get rid of the truck we will upgrade my wifes 2017 rogue to... new pacifica touring L AWD with the advanced safety group and uconnect group... or if we wait for cyber truck she may get the grand cherokee L Summit.

If you're in an area you can get away with FWD the hybrid is attractive ONLY for incentives (to me at least).

But I agree, as a camping vehicle with kids i think its too tight, its like my MK7 Golf R. Got rid of it after learning about kid two being on the way, thats how the Ram came.

TLDR; I think just keep the M3 and get the roof rack while you wait for cybertruck which can be a true camper or hauler.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Hmm I’d let mine go for 45k. That’s 5 more than most trade in offers I’ve gotten. I’m in Michigan. Thats a good deal if you care about FSD and accel boost.

buddy of min just sold his M3P for 41 to Vroom, no FSD though

wife loves her Mustang, it’s her dream car. She can get rid of it on her time frame, I don’t want her to feel pressured. We can actually put the kid in the Mustang but with stroller cargo is very limited.

Last edited:
We purchased a roof box and any items that we do not need to remove until we reach our destination will go into the box. I rather pay for a nice box than paying another 6 year monthly payment.

Alternatively have you thought about getting a tow-hitch and perhaps using that as well ?

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don’t want the range hit of a roof rack. It’s dicey in winter driving through mountains on a road trip. Trailer hitch maybe, but hey don’t come with one from the factory. Would the service center install one? I don’t want to mess with pulling off the bumper.

I could see getting a used minivan until cybertruck is available. Sucks to go back to ice and having to deal with gas stations, as well as all the maintenance... but at least you would only be getting a used minivan and wouldn’t take the depreciation hit, and if chose truck starts selling in the next two years maybe the minivan would still have some resell value.

I don’t think the y is that much bigger on the inside, it is mainly just taller with a bigger storage compartment. You could do a seven seater but I think that is just trying to put shampoo back in the toothpaste bottle...

yeah I've thought about a hitch, and now I'm leaning more towards it vs selling the car. Here's an update on my trade-in pricing:

I got my quote to sell my 2019 Model 3 with 15k miles to Vroom. It was $37k. Carvana offered me $33k. Total price for the vehicle was $51,700 for LR AWD and blue paint, with destination fee. Then I had sales tax of $3102, and a federal tax credit of $3750. That's $51,052 for the car.

FSD was $6k when I bought it, and acceleration boost $2k. so that's $58,052 into the car. I owe $35k. Basically my residual is 64% of what I've paid. Right now FSD and Accel Boost are worth very little to the market compared to what Tesla charges. I think if I sold it private party I could get a quick sale at high 30s to low 40s for the car.

It's kind of a stark reminder of how much money you lose on depreciation on a new car, and Tesla's are not some magical exception to that. Part of the financial rationalization I had for buying this car in May 2019 was that I would save a lot of money on gas because I could charge at work. And for a year I did. I almost never charged at home, and commuted 45 miles per weekday. Road trips were cheap; I could drive 500 miles to see my parents for $50. I've also spent $0 on maintenance; it's had one tire rotation. Now due to COVID the car sits there a lot, getting 200-300 miles a month of driving unless I take a road trip. It also can use up to a $1 a day in electricity due to the normal draining of the battery, and my inefficient use of a level 1 charger (will have level 2 soon).

I would say COVID of course threw a big wrench into everything, but I'm also disappointed that FSD is mostly useless party tricks 2 years after Hardware 3 came out. I still like the car though. I'm having trouble bringing myself to get rid of it; maybe I'm still stuck on the sunk cost. Who knows what a new tax credit will do to actual EV vehicle transaction prices and resale of used Teslas.

So Tesla offers $43k, but it's not cash (unless I'm mistaken), so I gotta get another Tesla. The Model Y I want is $58k (7 seat, red paint, LR AWD, tow hitch, 19 inch wheels). Of course I'd love a brand new S or X, but that's too much money.

yeah I've thought about a hitch, and now I'm leaning more towards it vs selling the car. Here's an update on my trade-in pricing:

I got my quote to sell my 2019 Model 3 with 15k miles to Vroom. It was $37k. Carvana offered me $33k. Total price for the vehicle was $51,700 for LR AWD and blue paint, with destination fee. Then I had sales tax of $3102, and a federal tax credit of $3750. That's $51,052 for the car.

FSD was $6k when I bought it, and acceleration boost $2k. so that's $58,052 into the car. I owe $35k. Basically my residual is 64% of what I've paid. Right now FSD and Accel Boost are worth very little to the market compared to what Tesla charges. I think if I sold it private party I could get a quick sale at high 30s to low 40s for the car.

It's kind of a stark reminder of how much money you lose on depreciation on a new car, and Tesla's are not some magical exception to that. Part of the financial rationalization I had for buying this car in May 2019 was that I would save a lot of money on gas because I could charge at work. And for a year I did. I almost never charged at home, and commuted 45 miles per weekday. Road trips were cheap; I could drive 500 miles to see my parents for $50. I've also spent $0 on maintenance; it's had one tire rotation. Now due to COVID the car sits there a lot, getting 200-300 miles a month of driving unless I take a road trip. It also can use up to a $1 a day in electricity due to the normal draining of the battery, and my inefficient use of a level 1 charger (will have level 2 soon).

I would say COVID of course threw a big wrench into everything, but I'm also disappointed that FSD is mostly useless party tricks 2 years after Hardware 3 came out. I still like the car though. I'm having trouble bringing myself to get rid of it; maybe I'm still stuck on the sunk cost. Who knows what a new tax credit will do to actual EV vehicle transaction prices and resale of used Teslas.

So Tesla offers $43k, but it's not cash (unless I'm mistaken), so I gotta get another Tesla. The Model Y I want is $58k (7 seat, red paint, LR AWD, tow hitch, 19 inch wheels). Of course I'd love a brand new S or X, but that's too much money.
Go test drive the Y if you haven't then make your decision.

Hmm I’d let mine go for 45k. That’s 5 more than most trade in offers I’ve gotten. I’m in Michigan. Thats a good deal if you care about FSD and accel boost.

buddy of min just sold his M3P for 41 to Vroom, no FSD though

wife loves her Mustang, it’s her dream car. She can get rid of it on her time frame, I don’t want her to feel pressured. We can actually put the kid in the Mustang but with stroller cargo is very limited.
If your wife loves the mustang, you’re the one have to choose between Miata and M3 then. If you love the EV side of your M3, I would say go for the Y. It’s just a bigger M3 with more room. Otherwise, the minivan is a good choice. It is real versatile as a family car.
BTW, how do you like the handling of M3, compared with Miata? I always want to get a Miata. Sadly, they don’t have it in China now. Otherwise, it would be my first choice.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh