Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of Selling Up....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling up, and was hoping for some opinions on the valuation.

My car is a 2019 (69) 3P, with performance pack (when it was available separately at the time)

25k miles, in Red with white interior.

It's not long had 4 new tyres, has had a £2500 PPF and cermaic coat package and is immaculate (bar a tiny stone chip on the front bumper, picked up before the PPF went on at 110 miles!).

The car has also had the suspension quite comprehensively upgraded, courtesy of MMP, Eibach and Litchfield Motors (a picture of my car is featured on their website).

I've been offered £44k by WBAC, but I wouldn't be willing to let the car go for less than £48k.

Do you think this is reasonable, and do you think the suspension modifications will put people off? I have all the standard parts, but wouldn't really want to go to the expense of having them refitted if I could help it.

Please fire your opinions at me. Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound outside the realms of possibility that you could get £48k selling privately. I doubt you'd get that selling to the trade who will want to make margin on it. I had a quick look on Autotrader the other day and someone was selling a year old Model 3SR+ with 13,000 miles on it for £1k under list. :)

Anything is possible.

Ah okay, thanks for the input guys. I've had luck with advertising on Pistonheads before.

Do you think the modifications made to the car will put people off? I know there's a bit of a stigma attached to modified cars.

Ah okay, thanks for the input guys. I've had luck with advertising on Pistonheads before.

Do you think the modifications made to the car will put people off? I know there's a bit of a stigma attached to modified cars.
only for trade ins etc. Makes it harder to find the right buyer, and it will be hard to see a return on your parts I'm afraid. You will 100% make more money by separating out the shiny suspension parts, selling them to me and selling the car as stock. But its a bunch of hassle and I have an extension I have to finish before buying bits of car.

I learnt with my first properly modified car - the £20k's worth of parts and labor sunk in mods are non-recoverable :(. Hence I now just buy cars that mostly do what i want out the box. The 3 does needs the suspension looking at tho.

Reactions: gangzoom
I think the mods are a bit Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

What are you going to get next?

Yeah, i get what you're saying

My next car won't be anything interesting. The 3 was my first 'nice' car and I absolutely love it, but I avoid taking it places and worry about it getting damaged or vandalised - so if I sold it I'd go back to old bangers that I can run in to the ground without worrying about.

Mods woudlnt add any value to the car, will not much. Pistonheads is OK for mods as if you had good quality parts fitted your get interest. On websites like Autotrader it'll probably put people off.

Main issue will be not many people will have £48k cash for a used car, it will take time to sell.

I agreed selling privately is a struggle on a premium car, unless they are a cash buyer or happy to get car finance privately / loan.
The nice thing for a lot of people is they can sort it all out at the dealers and drive away feeling they have a point of contact.
I know there is a warranty and that stays with the car, but many people feel more comfortable buying from a dealer too.
This includes me, I have the security and some weight based on I have given them a load of money / business. If I need support or a bit of a push on warranty, a dealer always seems happier helping a customer of theirs out.

That said some people just want the best price and sometimes that is private, but to be honest If they are anything like me, I just take what I have found to a dealer and say "Well I could buy this" "Yours is the same spec thats what I think I should be paying! Usually works out.

Furthermore, we are talking about Tesla here!, You may have got the car through all its niggles (If any?) The car may have perfect panel gaps etc. The thing is unless a a buyer really knows "Tesla" for what they are, even better a member of this forum. Then they can see the imperfections many from here settle with.. as a worry. I have not met a first time uneducated Tesla owner who looks at some of the imperfections and freak out!
One guy I met said he had looked at a Model X and then showed me pictures, He was adamant it had been in crash and hit from both sides, based on the "Repair being so bad panels where still out of line and unfinished painted areas"

I explained "Yep thats how they make some of them!" Welcome to Tesla!

How did you find the insurance companies when you told them about the mods? This will probably be a deal breaker for most as insurance is hard enough without mods or PPF

Anyone who knows what they are looking at (or not as the case may be) would probably welcome the mods, remember Polestar are marketing the '2' with upgraded mods from the factory and I bet most of those won't be optimised for a while IF EVER.

It isn't as if you have fitted a body kit that can be seen with the naked eye and it sounds like the perfect drivers car.

Remember if it appealed to you there is absolutely no reason not to assume that it won't appeal to someone else.

I would advertise it 'as is' first and see what happens, remember you only need ONE buyer.

GLWTS :)

Yeah, i get what you're saying

My next car won't be anything interesting. The 3 was my first 'nice' car and I absolutely love it, but I avoid taking it places and worry about it getting damaged or vandalised - so if I sold it I'd go back to old bangers that I can run in to the ground without worrying about.

That is incredibly sad and reminds me why we use my wife's car more than our 'good' car because I am simply afraid to park it unless I know where it is beforehand.

Reactions: roadcred
Anyone who knows what they are looking at (or not as the case may be) would probably welcome the mods, remember Polestar are marketing the '2' with upgraded mods from the factory and I bet most of those won't be optimised for a while IF EVER.

It isn't as if you have fitted a body kit that can be seen with the naked eye and it sounds like the perfect drivers car.

Remember if it appealed to you there is absolutely no reason not to assume that it won't appeal to someone else.

I would advertise it 'as is' first and see what happens, remember you only need ONE buyer.

GLWTS :)

That is incredibly sad and reminds me why we use my wife's car more than our 'good' car because I am simply afraid to park it unless I know where it is beforehand.

I must admit, the mods weren't worth it from a resale perspective, but have dramatically improved the car. It really is the car it should have always been.

It is sad, and maybe it's just me being overly protective of the car. I'm hyper aware that, being red, any paintwork repairs would be a nightmare and I struggle to accept that damage is inevitable on a car I'm covering about 30k a year in. It's probably got a lot to do with having much more money tied up in this car than anything I've had previously.

I have a slot at WBAC tommorow to sell mine, I was surprised at the offer, although mines only done 2.5k miles (hence why I'm selling)
PPF and ceramic coat is dead money, but I can resell the all weather mats, Keyfob, Winter wheels and tyres.
Ignoring the mods, the car will have cost me £4k for 11 months.

If you've paid for the PPF, shouldn't you run the car for a while to get the benefit? That will at least save you from any more stone chips and dings in carparks, which are my biggest worry. You've put together an amazing package, invested in the EV life and experienced it now.

The other end of the scale is keep it an run it into the ground in 500k miles* (theoretically). Care for it as best you can, don't approach narrow gaps at lightspeed and be ready to let the worry going a small scratch does appear.

OTOH, if you are stretching for the monthly payments, or it's a significant lump sump you could do with freeing up, and each potential scratch takes a calculated value off the car that you might need in the future, then yep, dump it, but you probably won't get what it's worth, that's how second hand works ☹️.

Luckily for me, trying to open the drivers door in the first month of ownership I stupidly had a handful of keys in my hand. Now lots of wee scratches around the drivers handle (they will polish out one day), but the damage is done, and at least it was me, not some random in a carpark.

I think I was paranoid for the first 5000 miles, coming from a nice but 1/3rd the price and 1/10th the value Leon. Couldn't go back tho.

I've finally decided that it's time to (try to) sell up. I've entrusted the sale to Simon Jones down in Dorset - thanks for the tip HKP_Tom - so we'll see how it goes.

I'll certainly miss it when it's gone, that's for sure!