Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of the Tesla Model 3/Y but have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 2 USB-C ports in front and 2 more in back. All are 15W and power-only with the exception of some 2021 models which had data in the front. There's really not much use for a data connection there anyway other than for a gamepad controller, and Tesla is planning to add native wireless gamepad support anyway. Meanwhile, you can use a hub with the USB-A port inside the glovebox or buy a 3rd party conversion kit to add data to the front USB-C ports.

The factory nav already does Waze-like real-time rerouting, but yes, if you don't mind spending a few minutes at the start of each drive, it is possible to hack in things like Waze, Carplay, Sirius, etc. thru the browser with a cumbersome arrangement of phone WiFi and $100 dongles.

There are 2 USB-C ports in front and 2 more in back. All are 15W and power-only with the exception of some 2021 models which had data in the front. There's really not much use for a data connection there anyway other than for a gamepad controller, and Tesla is planning to add native wireless gamepad support anyway. Meanwhile, you can use a hub with the USB-A port inside the glovebox or buy a 3rd party conversion kit to add data to the front USB-C ports.

The factory nav already does Waze-like real-time rerouting, but yes, if you don't mind spending a few minutes at the start of each drive, it is possible to hack in things like Waze, Carplay, Sirius, etc. thru the browser with a cumbersome arrangement of phone WiFi and $100 dongles.
Interesting, so they never went back to data-enabled ports in the center console? I was going to chime in that I've got a separate thumb drive with a bunch of music loaded attached to one of those ports for another high(-ish) fidelity option without using the glovebox port.

Interesting, so they never went back to data-enabled ports in the center console?

Nope, they didnt. Once they removed them from model 3/Ys they have not gone back and put data back into the center console ports. My wifes model Y (march 2022) does not have data in the center console, and I have spot checked threads on this over the past few months and nothing has changed on that.

Only data port on newer model 3 / Ys (since like late 2021) is the one in the glove box, which frankly is astounding they have gotten away with that.

Nope, they didnt. Once they removed them from model 3/Ys they have not gone back and put data back into the center console ports. My wifes model Y (march 2022) does not have data in the center console, and I have spot checked threads on this over the past few months and nothing has changed on that.

Only data port on newer model 3 / Ys (since like late 2021) is the one in the glove box, which frankly is astounding they have gotten away with that.
It may be that many people have no use for usb data ports in the center console. Those that want them can buy a kit to get the functionality back. You can instead get a usb hub to plug into the port in the glovebox which is even easier and cheaper.

I'm not claiming removing data from the center console is a spectacular customer-oriented move that will make people repeat buyers but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. IMHO customers would be better served by having Tesla, for example, add a swivel mount for the touchscreen. The aftermarket cost is higher and I imagine more people would make use of it.

I've added a lot of aftermarket stuff to my Model Y. For me it's just the nature of the beast. Your wattage may vary.

I'm posting this in both the 3 and Y forums. So please respond to the one that you own or know more about.
I wasn't going to consider a Tesla as a choice until this whole EV tax thing that took place a few days ago and now the car I was thinking of getting is no longer an option. I was thinking of a Audi Q5e. Also on the back of my mind was the BMW 330e/i4 and Mercedes C series. Not all had tax breaks, but all would be something I could get.
So I was thinking between the Model 3 Performance or the Model Y.

1) I never liked not having a instrument cluster in front of me. Wouldn't be too bad if the car had a HUD. Now I noticed there are some aftermarket screens one could install on their own. And it looks ok to install. Would something like this void any warrenty?

2) About the Premium connectivity... Is it worth the $9.99 a month? I read the info on it. Just curious on people who actually use it.

3) Can I have the car connect to my Phone's hotspot and not use the Premium? I heard you can do the opposite, connect your mobile to the car's hotspot? Is the speed ok?

4) 3/Y- Which has better lighting at night? Do both come with fog lights? Are there upgrades to the lights? For the USA are they adaptive?

5) 3/Y- Interior lighting, what kind of lighting is there? footwell? Glovebox, etc? Do they change color? Or just std white?

6) About the Autopilot. I like the lane centering, traffic start/stop, cruise control. In order to get that much, do I need to upgrade ENHANCED autopilot? I never really used the auto parking in the cars I had them with. I hate driving by a stall and having the car autopark because if there is a car behind you, sometimes they are pain when they think you don't want that stall and follow you too close that now you can't reverse in.

7) About the cruise control, can you tell it to ignore the speed signs? One issue I had in a car was I would have it set for 60mph, a large turn would come up that said 45, the car would slow to 45mph and cars behind you would have to break and then it would slowly pickup to 60mph again. I didn't like that.

8) 3/Y- I thought I saw picture of one of them having active spoiler? Is that true? I don't seem to see that as an option.

9) 3/Y- are the cars really that wide? The length will fit into my garage space, but width seems big. My old car is 72in wide, while the 3 is 73in and the Y is 76in. And supposedly these two cars are smaller that my older vehicle.

10) 3/Y- Do either cars have warning lights in the mirrors to tell you there's a car in your blind spot?

11) 3/Y- How are the seats? I noticed there's no options for them. Are they easy to get in/out of?

12) 3/Y- How are the cars when you drive? Are they harsh with the 20's? I live in an area with a lot of potholes. :( How's the ground clearance? Do either cars have adaptive suspension?

13) 3/Y- I take it, it's power everything? Power adjustable tilt and in/out for steering wheel?

14) 3/Y- Does the car have memory for seating position/steering wheel, etc? Do they move in/out of your way when exiting/entering the vehicle?

15) 3/Y- I take it the cameras in either cars work the same? Can you view them whil;e driving? Example: I'm changing lanes, can I view the side of my car? I think Hyundai had a car like that. Can you pick and choose views while parking?

16) 3/Y- Are the audio systems the same on both cars? Or does one come with a better system? I keep reading there's a standard audio and premium, but when building either cars, I don't get options to pick? Is the only way to get my music is to put it on a usb stick and leave it in the car? How easy is it to navigate the menus to play music?

17) My wife and I use Apple and Android carplay in the car. I thought I read that tesla opened that up to the cars? But now that I'm interested, I can't find anything except stuff people added themselves.

18) I take it Waze don't work, huh? I know the Audi, I had to either choose that or the built-in map the car. Waze won. I kind a like the extra security features it offers.

19) That all glass roof. Doesn't it make the car hotter to park outside durning the day? No way to cover it either, huh?

20) Lastly, besides trunk space on the Y, is there anything else that makes one better than the other?
So much to answer. I'll make it quick. I went from a 2021 M3 long range with Acceleration Boost (AB) to a 2023 MYP. I really liked my M3, but with all the lower prices (Y dropped 16K in 4 months) and now being able to get the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit, I sold my M3 and bought the MYP. I love the MYP. I really like the larger size and how it's easier to get in and out of. I feel like the ride is very similar, except in the Y you are sitting higher. If I had to do it over, I wish I would have got the MYP first. I would stick with the free autopilot that comes with car. I think it does just fine keeping you in the highway lane and on roads. I would pay for the premium connectivity. I had it for free for a year and I let it expire thinking I didn't need it. I missed the satellite view of the maps and the traffic for navigation so I ordered it for a year at $99 which is less than paying $9.99 a month. As far as the car getting hot, yes it does. What's nice is you can turn the a/c on from the app a few minutes before you leave and the car will be at temp. I had all my windows tinted in my M3 except the roof. I then tinted my roof and the temps in the car seemed to be the same. I'm not tinting the roof in my MYP as a result.
IMG_8433.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg

So much to answer. I'll make it quick. I went from a 2021 M3 long range with Acceleration Boost (AB) to a 2023 MYP. I really liked my M3, but with all the lower prices (Y dropped 16K in 4 months) and now being able to get the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit, I sold my M3 and bought the MYP. I love the MYP. I really like the larger size and how it's easier to get in and out of. I feel like the ride is very similar, except in the Y you are sitting higher. If I had to do it over, I wish I would have got the MYP first. I would stick with the free autopilot that comes with car. I think it does just fine keeping you in the highway lane and on roads. I would pay for the premium connectivity. I had it for free for a year and I let it expire thinking I didn't need it. I missed the satellite view of the maps and the traffic for navigation so I ordered it for a year at $99 which is less than paying $9.99 a month. As far as the car getting hot, yes it does. What's nice is you can turn the a/c on from the app a few minutes before you leave and the car will be at temp. I had all my windows tinted in my M3 except the roof. I then tinted my roof and the temps in the car seemed to be the same. I'm not tinting the roof in my MYP as a result.View attachment 935547View attachment 935548
Awesome looking MYP!!! :cool:

Reactions: brianbcc