Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking to buy pre-owned MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the great info here. I am not sold on FSD yet. Currently market price is 8K on new cars. MCU2 is $2,500. It is a hefty upgrade price on top of price of the car. Looks like Tesla rushed to get 2.0 out and release 2.5 less than a year after the release. 2.5 seems to be a bigger upgrade with upgraded sensors, redundant power and processors etc.

I am not sold on FSD yet.
I’m not either, if it is for the projected/hoped-for capability of driving me around while I do nothing. But the adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping and changing lanes has......changed my life. Ok, that’s a little strong, but it has definitely been a major revolution in what I want in a car. I’m a pretty good driver with lots of miles and no accidents for the past 35 years, but autopilot dramatically enhances safety. Would never consider a Tesla without basic autopilot. Enhanced Autopilot, which you might find in private sales of Tesla’s built through Feb 2019, has all the features I want except they are back at AP2.5. I speculate that HW3 will be making a large difference in the future. Thus, for a new car purchase that already has HW3, I might consider foregoing FSD and lose the lane change ability, but on a used car purchase, I would definitely want FSD for the HW3 upgrade.

• Love
Reactions: rush6410
I bought a used May 2017 MX 75D this summer from Tesla

A few suggestions:
1) this is a great site to search inventory and apply the filters you want: TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory

2) I was moving from a 2017 MS with FSD and had a few specific things I wanted: non-black interior, 6 seater, < 30k miles - that's it. I ended up with this one:
TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory

I spent $500 for a tow hitch and $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade - both happened at delivery. Inspection was good - just like the pictures and no major issues or area of concern. It already had FSD, so the MCU upgrade not only helped with a few FSD features, but made the car feel like new (Especially coming from 3 years in a MS with MCU1 - the new MCU is lightening fast). My range is 240ish miles, essentially the same as my MS75, so the MX100, to me, wasn't worth the almost $10k premium a few months ago.

The price was fair and $1,000 transportation to me was fine. Out the door, it was $63,100 with transportation, tow hitch (which is usually over $1200 installed, but they took off the bumper and added the tow package for only $500), and new MCU. I don't miss free supercharging, as the few times I've supercharged this summer it cost me less then $7, so I wouldn't spend enough to really consider it free supercharging a perk.

The prices drop almost daily on used inventory, like a reverse auction - wait until you find the price you'd be pissed if someone else bought it and pull the trigger. If you find you can't find a car with everything you want for substantially less than a new one, then I'd probably go new or wait until after battery day on 9/22 in case they tease a new model.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Gorkhe and Bigriver
We are happy 2015 model s owners looking to get a 2016/2017 model x for my wife to primarily drive. We are looking at a 100d. I have seen a bunch of info on the new X charging rates, but I can’t find any info on how fast a 2016/2017 will supercharge at a V3 supercharger. Anyone know how fast a 2016/2017 X 100d will Supercharge on V3? Thank you.

We are happy 2015 model s owners looking to get a 2016/2017 model x for my wife to primarily drive. We are looking at a 100d. I have seen a bunch of info on the new X charging rates, but I can’t find any info on how fast a 2016/2017 will supercharge at a V3 supercharger. Anyone know how fast a 2016/2017 X 100d will Supercharge on V3? Thank you.
Post Oct 2016 build vehicles maxes out at 150 kw/hr with both V2 and V3 superchargers. I regularly start at 140-150 kw/hr at 10% start of charge. Obviously that goes down as energy is added. You would get the same from V3 chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: DSolie
Maybe they have it set to ideal miles. :D
At over 3 years old, didn’t it have any range degradation? Original rated range on 75D was 238 miles, if I recall correctly.

It depends on what I carry with me. When I have 5 bikes on the back, it's around 205-215 miles. When it's low-country flat interstate driving without bikes or the bike hitch, its around 230-245. Normal driving is around town with the hills around here, it's about the same, depending on regen braking. I've been averaging 295-300 wh/mi without bikes and closer to 340 wh/mi with bikes. It's a 2017, not set to ideal miles (which sometimes says crazy numbers close to 275), but I also don't gun it as much as I used to gun my MS and often use range-mode and no sentry-mode when we travel.

My 2017 MS degraded from around 245 to 230 over 3 years - mostly from one software update that dropped it pretty significantly. Real world range was around 235 at the end of 3 years (I ran it to 1 mile left as I rolled into a supercharger). At full charge, the MX states 233, which I think is accurate for most driving conditions - but that changes based on what my wh/mi has been. After 3-400 miles with the bikes on, my full charge drops to 200ish miles and goes back up to 233 after 3-400 miles without the bikes. I have no idea if the 3-400 miles is a magic number, that's just when I notice it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just got my late 2017 100D last week. Paid around 68k. Heard all the horror stories about used teslas, but have been pretty pleased so far. Other than some dirt/stain on the center console that could be easily cleaned, and some tiny scratches, the car is almost mint.

IMO late 2017 100D is kind of the sweet spot. You don't pay for the HW2.5 premium - 2.0 is going to be upgraded to 3.0 for free anyways. Then just pay 2.5k for the MCU upgrade and it's basically the same as 2018+ teslas.

I got mine with FSD. Automatic lane changing is really nice. It makes driving on highway kind of like playing a game where you just pick which lane to use. It's nice. But yes sometimes I question if it's 7k nice.

I really can’t see a way to justify a used Model X, prices are just too high relative to a new one. It would have to be $60k or less for 100D AP2.5+, but we are far away still. Tesla really wants to sell new vehicles for their quarterly numbers, that’s why they slap FSD on all the uses ones on their site. Great vehicle! Keeps its value

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I really can’t see a way to justify a used Model X, prices are just too high relative to a new one. It would have to be $60k or less for 100D AP2.5+, but we are far away still. Tesla really wants to sell new vehicles for their quarterly numbers, that’s why they slap FSD on all the uses ones on their site. Great vehicle! Keeps its value
This either tells you how much of a killing Tesla made on the earliest examples of the X or just how much they’ve squared away the manufacturing process as well as recovered the R&D.