Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware F750 Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
Given the negative reviews of the Blackvue DR650GW, I decided to look at alternatives when my el-cheapo Mobius ActionCam died. I went with the Thinkview F750. It's a nice unit and total cost was just under $400 from Amazon, including a Sandisk Ultra 64 memory card (comes with 16GB)

992cba57d0df5bafbadb6eb45a8b3f71.jpg

a5936d02c125de42e39fb0af57d6f723.jpg

6681b96b2fd61007ba79f97fc537c4c6.jpg

260ac51ba66694d0ef5df4a3199edecf.jpg

83843bd39097c919172e9cc3feec730b.jpg

5e285fd22bf00cc46297080e6cd359f9.jpg

64b7386c38ab93a1df738cd01a9e2685.jpg

Pros:

- 1080P front / rear
- Customer service returns calls
- GPS locks reliably within three minutes
- Nice Mac / PC program to view video files -- shows both cams simultaneously, plots car position on map, displays speed and x, y, z changes

Cons:

- Rear camera cable is thick micro-USB, making it harder to fish. All the best regards to those of you who can stuff it through the hatch grommet -- I failed.
- Front unit seems "large"
- App is new and not feature complete -- the biggest "miss" from my perspective is that although you can view and download videos onto your smartphone, you can't do anything with them after that (like save to Photos or email to someone).

It also has lane assist, front collision warning and speed camera database, but I haven't explored how those work yet.

I also don't know if this is a pro or a con, but the box provides status updates by voice, so you don't have to look at and decipher the blinking lights. For example, you'll get a voice notification when GPS locks, or if you turn on manual recording.

Thanks to wk057, JPP, LastNLSig, egiljae & Fezzik for your installation tech notes! I don't have a lot of installation pictures to add, but to summarize:

- Power from unused microphone screen connector
- No hatchback drilling -- fish wire down to hatchback handholds and back up to window frame.
- Route cable on outside of hatchback boot :(

Also, that right side window frame fascia with connectors that tend to break. Note that they slip on from two different directions, so my take is pulling straight out is the best way to get it out.

08abede953d7c91b384dd0d15b901aaf.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a chance to play with some of the non-dashcam features:

- Red Light Camera database. It's there, but appears not to be as comprehensive as Waze.
- Lane Departure Warning System. It works surprisingly well, but it doesn't know when you plan to change lanes, so it alerts every time you cross a line. Too often. I currently have it set to alert only above 65MPH, but I'm sure I'll soon turn it off.
- Forward Collision Warning System. It also appears to work, but I haven't comprehensively tested it. I'm leaving it on for now.

Also, Parking Mode only works when you use a special harness that's connected to both switched and un-switched power. I didn't do that, so mine doesn't segregate parked recordings into a separate folder.

Thanks for posting this thread.

I am very interested to know how well the Forward Collision and Lane departure warning system works

This will be considered as somewhat an "alternative" to those of us who don't have auto pilot features in our MS.

Would install be quick who has dash cam already installed ?

Thanks Bollar for sharing.

I also installed the same today but the GPS & speed detector fail to work. The shop told me it is because of the Tesla front windshield. What have you done to have those GPS & speed work?

Nothing, actually. It just works. Something you might try is to let it get a fix outside the car, the first fix can be time consuming, but subsequent fixes should be faster.

Thanks for this info. This one is currently my leading choice. I think I will watch prices on amazon for a little bit. On amazon I'm currently seeing $283 for the camera, plus $30 hardwire kit, plus $99 rear camera. Plus whatever a 64G memory card runs. I realize prices on amazon can change rapidly, but would be curious how that compares to what you obtained. Also, I assume the $30 hardwire kit is basically required?
Given the negative reviews of the Blackvue DR650GW, I decided to look at alternatives when my el-cheapo Mobius ActionCam died. I went with the Thinkview F750. It's a nice unit and total cost was just under $400 from Amazon, including a Sandisk Ultra 64 memory card (comes with 16GB)

I've had a chance to play with some of the non-dashcam features:

- Red Light Camera database. It's there, but appears not to be as comprehensive as Waze.
- Lane Departure Warning System. It works surprisingly well, but it doesn't know when you plan to change lanes, so it alerts every time you cross a line. Too often. I currently have it set to alert only above 65MPH, but I'm sure I'll soon turn it off.
- Forward Collision Warning System. It also appears to work, but I haven't comprehensively tested it. I'm leaving it on for now.

Also, Parking Mode only works when you use a special harness that's connected to both switched and un-switched power. I didn't do that, so mine doesn't segregate parked recordings into a separate folder.

Rick, how was the install time/effort?

As you know, I was thinking BlackVue 650 because of the predominance of coverage on it here on the board, but if this turns out to be a stronger alternative, I'll need to consider it soon.

The extra features weren't a big deal to me considering my car will have AP which should have better versions of most of them, but red light camera alert might be nice... And if the video quality is better, that's a plus.

Even if you don't have it wired to a switched connection, the car records all the time, just doesn't sort the parked videos into a different folder?

Rick, how was the install time/effort?

The front camera is easy, especially if there's power under the mic grill. The rear was difficult for me, and I was unable to fish the USB cable through the rubber boot the wiring harness passes through at the lift back.

I don't have the switched power supply, do you're right -- all recordings show up in one place.

You're welcome to look at my installation and I can show you what "easy" means to me.

I ordered a circular polarizer for my F750 (Polarizer Filter ThinkWare F750) for about $40 after shipping.

I definitely reduces dash glare, but it shows rainbow circles in the video due to the Photosync tint on my windshield.

If anyone with a F750 is interested in the polarizer, PM me with an offer, I can't use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if you don't have it wired to a switched connection, the car records all the time, just doesn't sort the parked videos into a different folder?

There is a switched power wire for the mirror you can easily tap for parking mode. See my pictures here: Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)? - Page 7

Last edited:
The front camera is easy, especially if there's power under the mic grill. The rear was difficult for me, and I was unable to fish the USB cable through the rubber boot the wiring harness passes through at the lift back.

I don't have the switched power supply, do you're right -- all recordings show up in one place.

You're welcome to look at my installation and I can show you what "easy" means to me.

Yeah, I'd like to come by and check out the install. Seriously thinking of this instead of the Blackvue...

Something I found that helped for fishing the wire through the hatch grommet. I used a wire tie (Just like the ones you used to attached the wire to the grommet.) I had a long one and ran it through bare with no problem. Then I taped (Using electrical tape) a long portion of the camera wire to the wire tie (Again, a long wire tie is better for this reason) and with some massaging of the grommet, was able to make it through easily.

Now this was on a Blackvue. Your mileage may vary, but give this technique a try and see if it helps.