Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware F770 Dash Cam Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any Model X owners who have Thinkware F770 dash cam installed and managed to get the motion detection/parking mode working? Unlike the Blackvue dash cam, it requires the voltage to drop below a certain point to enable motion detection/parking mode and I have not been able to find any posts/guides on how to do it. Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated!

But how do they trigger parking mode? Doesn't it rely on a voltage drop when the ICE alternator stops?
If I remember correctly from the manual, the parking mode is triggered by switched power. The cam has one negative wire and two positives - one to switched power and one to always on. When the wire connected to switched power loses the power, the parking mode is triggered.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I wish I did more research into the Thinkware before purchasing it. Seems like the Blackvue parking mode does not require switched power to turn on.
I had a BlackVue, on my first model S, it failed on me twice. I now have the ThinkWare and I like it much better. Yes, installation include one additional step, but I am very happy with the camera.
FYI- it is not needed on any tesla with auto pilot, but the camera includes Lane departure warning, and forward collision warning. It's not proactive, it just beeps, but if I didn't have that in my car, it would be worth that along.
Obviously since I have auto pilot, I turned those features off.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I had a BlackVue, on my first model S, it failed on me twice. I now have the ThinkWare and I like it much better. Yes, installation include one additional step, but I am very happy with the camera.
FYI- it is not needed on any tesla with auto pilot, but the camera includes Lane departure warning, and forward collision warning. It's not proactive, it just beeps, but if I didn't have that in my car, it would be worth that along.
Obviously since I have auto pilot, I turned those features off.

Do you leave your Thinkware on 24/7? I'm also having issues now with connecting it through Wifi, keeps saying authentication problem. I also notice that sometimes my phone will not detect the SSID of the camera unless I turn it off and back on.

My bad, but I was interpreting the website to mean the phone app could substitute for hardware button controls but it only adjusts settings and can manage stored images. Also wifi streaming images to the app is mutually exclusive with recording. It is still my plan to put the main unit on the rear window where there is easy power access and would also only require one wire to fit in the channel across the large front glass but the utility won't be what I'd hoped. The idea for this approach came about because the front and rear cameras have the same resolution.

My bad, but I was interpreting the website to mean the phone app could substitute for hardware button controls but it only adjusts settings and can manage stored images. Also wifi streaming images to the app is mutually exclusive with recording. It is still my plan to put the main unit on the rear window where there is easy power access and would also only require one wire to fit in the channel across the large front glass but the utility won't be what I'd hoped. The idea for this approach came about because the front and rear cameras have the same resolution.

Just remember, when you mount the Rear camera (your front) that the labeling makes you want to place it upside down. I used the app to double check, before I stuck it to the glass.

FYI here are some USB adapters that might make cable orientation easier. USB Micro 5P Female to 5P Male Left Right Down Up Angled Extension Cable Adapter | eBay

How are folks managing the video from the SD card? Is there an easy way on Mac OS to string together the one-minute clips without conversion that less tedious than dropping them one by one into Qucktime?