Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware F800 Pro (Parking Mode) - my insurance savoiur

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to pop up a post to say how invaluable my dash cam has been and having parking mode enabled has saved me having to sort the damage myself. I did get mine fitted by Simon ([email protected]) as although I could have done it myself I didn't want to take the risk so left it to the expert (nice job too).

So, the story: my beloved 5 month old Tesla Model S was hit last Friday while parked up outside my daughters school during the afternoon pickup - the other driver did not stop!!!!!

We hadn't actually noticed until Saturday morning, thankfully the car seems to drive fine, after being parked in a car park in town. When I first saw the damage I thought it must have happened during that parking session.

Typically I couldn't connect to my camera as I had changed phones just 2 days prior (nothing wrong with the camera) and hadn't set it up yet so we went home so I could check the footage.

After 2 hours of watching the various recorded footage (it has things like continuous mode, parking mode, and some other recording modes I can't think of) I found nothing. So then went back to Friday nights car park time. Another 1.5 hours of footage and nothing, at one point I thought I found it but couldn't confirm it but it just didn't add up.

I then went back to the recordings from being parked at school and there it was. The first in the list of the parking mode recordings. You even hear on the video 'Parking Mode will now start' and then you see the car shake with the other car slid across the front.

Thankfully the video not only recorded when the car was hit but it also shows the damage to the other car and more importantly the number place of the other vehicle.

The police are dealing with the hit and run element and my insurance company is dealing with getting my car sorted and also dealing with the insurers of the car that hit me but its just a waiting game now. Work has today been approved so now it'll be how long it takes to get the parts required before she goes in for repair.

The car seems to drive OK and I haven't had any warnings yet. Not sure if the tyre is damaged (seems ok but is scuffed) or if alignment is out due to the front wheel being hit during the crash which will need refurbishing. The main damage is the bumper which is bad enough but annoyingly there are also a couple of chips out of the wing. Not sure if any internal damage has been caused, I guess they will find that out when its stripped. The parking sensor hasn't caused me issues yet and I still got the last update so hopefully that'll be OK.

reduced.jpg

It totally ruined our weekend but thankfully no-one was hurt which was the most important thing but it just proves why we need dash cam's and also when we can having them enabled for parking mode. I have had no issues with mine being enabled but I wouldn't do it on my wifes ICE as that would kill the battery, its bad enough trying to start it at the best of times :)

Reactions: Russell and sorka
Glad it saved your bacon!

Dash cams are like GAP insurance, they're an upfront cost that you may never recoup. But if you do need it then it's more than paid for itself!

Both worthwhile on an expensive car like the Tesla TBH

PS. I also had an F800 pro fitted by Simon :)

Reactions: Penfold
Can you post the video? I would love to see how it was able to identify the other vehicle.
Unfortunately not at present as its being used as evidence. Basically the car pulled in front of me but was too close so you see my car move and the other car against the front corner. They then reverse as cannot go forward and then swing out wider so they don't hit again which is when you see the damage to their car and as the continue to drive away you then see the numberplate. The rear camera also catches prior to crash and during but naturally you just see the car move but on both videos you hear the impact.

Reactions: Graffi
Same here. I had my car parked, someone pulled out next to me, and scraped my car. My dash camera caught it all including license plate. The damage was over $4000. Without the camera I would have had to use my own insurance and pay at least $1000 deductible, but also my insurance rate might have gone up. There were other situations where the dash cam helped me. In another case I was able to help someone else out that got in an accident right in front of me. Giving them the video helped them a lot.

Every car should have a dash camera. Decent ones cost only $40. Often just knowing there is a camera will make people act better and don't try to lie after accidents.

Same here. I had my car parked, someone pulled out next to me, and scraped my car. My dash camera caught it all including license plate. The damage was over $4000. Without the camera I would have had to use my own insurance and pay at least $1000 deductible, but also my insurance rate might have gone up. There were other situations where the dash cam helped me. In another case I was able to help someone else out that got in an accident right in front of me. Giving them the video helped them a lot.

Every car should have a dash camera. Decent ones cost only $40. Often just knowing there is a camera will make people act better and don't try to lie after accidents.

Agreed.

Having said that I have a blackvue not installed cuz I'm afraid of self install and no one close by to install.

I have the same camera. Are you able to connect to it remotely from your phone? Do you have the hotspot deal enabled?

Also, how was yours hooked up? Mine is hooked into the cig lighter, but I'm concerned it isn't always receiving power when I leave the car, and parking mode may not work. I've never had an event recorded when I wasn't in the car.

I have the same camera. Are you able to connect to it remotely from your phone? Do you have the hotspot deal enabled?

Also, how was yours hooked up? Mine is hooked into the cig lighter, but I'm concerned it isn't always receiving power when I leave the car, and parking mode may not work. I've never had an event recorded when I wasn't in the car.
Mine is fully wired in, assume behind mirror or something but not sure on rear as I got it fitted as didn't want to mess about myself. Not sure if cig socket is perm love, wouldn't have thought so but could be wrong.

Can't connect remotely, just via hot-spot but I just removed the sd card and connected via the computer app as so much easier to watch and go through all the videos

Blackvues have a G sensor which detects and marks when the car experiences any jolts/hits - saves a lot of time when looking through recordings.

I install dashcams in all our cars - treat it like airbags, must have but hope to never use. Sadly, had to use them, most recently when my wife got PIT'ed at 60mph earlier this year totalling a beautiful one year old Model S. If not for the dashcam, no way to prove who hit whom.

Blackvues have a G sensor which detects and marks when the car experiences any jolts/hits - saves a lot of time when looking through recordings.

I install dashcams in all our cars - treat it like airbags, must have but hope to never use. Sadly, had to use them, most recently when my wife got PIT'ed at 60mph earlier this year totalling a beautiful one year old Model S. If not for the dashcam, no way to prove who hit whom.
The Thinkware has the G sensor as well, but it has settings for impact so need to check what mine is set to. Its possible mine wasnt impact enough to register for whatever the current setting is.

Definitely a requirement these days, hopefully one day they will utilise the inbuilt cameras or have extras to have built in dash cam capabilities