Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware U1000 Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the interface cable is power from the car. You can use the T connector on the interface cable and slide the two wires from the pigtail into the interface cable. The interface cable's blue connector plugs into the four pin connector behind the speaker grille. The "steel plug" end of the pigtail plugs into the Blackvue primary/front camera.
got it....I was trying to picture using the interface cable for powering both units.....the one for the front and side and the back and side.

if I get 2 dr900-2chs, how would you get power to the second unit

Well, you have more than one way to get power to the back window.

1. The interface cable is actually a splitter. If you were looking for a splitter, it would be easy to recognize immediately. It was designed that way. Since 2013, the car had that 4 pin connector in the speaker grille. It was designed to provide power in EU to an intrusion detection unit. Finally it was offered in the US. $350. But before the intrusion device was available, we used it for dash cams. Once the Intrusion device was available, everyone had to unplug the dash cam to plug the intrusion device in. Then Teslatap and I made the splitters. Allowed the Intrusion device to be plugged in and the "T" connector tapped power too to the dash cam again. (Some of us, used that black connector on our pigtail to make it look factory. So some splitters had one blue and two black connectors.

Answer your question, If you don't have the intrusion device, you could use both sides of the splitter (not the blue) to feed to dash cams and run the power wire from the speaker grille down the side of the car under the headliner to the back window.

I have OCD. 2. I tapped into the liftgate's controller power and used a heavy gauge wire, about 14 and added a 4 micro fuse box in the corner of my trunk. Now, I can add other 12V devices in the rear from the fuse box. From the fuse box, I ran wire up the C pillar, through the body, through the rubber boot at the liftgate, and through the liftgate body to the center of the liftgate window. Fused power that way.

I think down the road, not juse what's in front of me.

I like to call it OCB though. Behavior not Disorder. :)

Last edited:
Well, you have more than one way to get power to the back window.

1. The interface cable is actually a splitter. If you were looking for a splitter, it would be easy to recognize immediately. It was designed that way. Since 2013, the car had that 4 pin connector in the speaker grille. It was designed to provide power in EU to an intrusion detection unit. Finally it was offered in the US. $350. But before the intrusion device was available, we used it for dash cams. Once the Intrusion device was available, everyone had to unplug the dash cam to plug the intrusion device in. Then Teslatap and I made the splitters. Allowed the Intrusion device to be plugged in and the "T" connector tapped power too to the dash cam again. (Some of us, used that black connector on our pigtail to make it look factory. So some splitters had one blue and two black connectors.

Answer your question, If you don't have the intrusion device, you could use both sides of the splitter (not the blue) to feed to dash cams and run the power wire from the speaker grille down the side of the car under the headliner to the back window.

I have OCD. 2. I tapped into the liftgate's controller power and used a heavy gauge wire, about 14 and added a 4 micro fuse box in the corner of my trunk. Now, I can add other 12V devices in the rear from the fuse box. From the fuse box, I ran wire up the C pillar, through the body, through the rubber boot at the liftgate, and through the liftgate body to the center of the liftgate window. Fused power that way.

I think down the road, not juse what's in front of me.

you know that is a great idea....I will use the interface cable for installation of the front and drivers side back window......then I will tap into the tail gate for full time power to power the rear window and passenger side rear window..will also place 2a fuse inline with both units....

so, I will but 2-2a in-line fuses, 1 pig tail interface cables for the front install, and 2 DR900-2ch dash cams.....I think that will work.....now afterward I will have 2 separate dash cams...one for the front and right side of the car......and one for the rear and left side of the car.......does this sound right?

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
I did some looking around and I agree...Power in better behind the mirror....I also agree, I want 12v and do not want to have to put another devise in just to convert down to 5v....Maybe all the iffy comments on the earlier DR900-2ch unit were infant mortality and the current version has weeded those issues out...

I will be looking agin at the DR900-2ch

U1000 is 12v
Store | U1000 Front + Rear Dash Cam Bundle 4K UHD | Thinkware US
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 9.00.21 AM.png

yep....I was able to find that after I was told they were only 5v....

I am on the fence between the Blackvue DR900x-2ch and the Thinkware U1000.....I like the slim profile of the B;ackvue but I think the Thinkware id too long and has a big foot print....feel the video of the thinkware is better than Blackvue...and both have CPL filters....

One concern I had with Blackvue was the failures of their SD cards....

Do you have any suggestions

One concern I had with Blackvue was the failures of their SD cards....
It might been an overheating problem, the vents have been increased since.
Also you need to check if your SD card can work in extreme temperatures.

SanDisk cards environmental tolerance (waterproof, temperature, magnetic and x-ray proof).

SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are NOW tested
under harsh conditions to help protect your precious memories from life's mishaps.

Temperature proof:
SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable
of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC).

One important feature I like with the Blackvue is the Cloud support
allowing to received alerts and to check remotely your car.

Last edited:
It might been an overheating problem, the vents have been increased since.
Also you need to check if your SD card can work in extreme temperatures.

SanDisk cards environmental tolerance (waterproof, temperature, magnetic and x-ray proof).

SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are NOW tested
under harsh conditions to help protect your precious memories from life's mishaps.

Temperature proof:
SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable
of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC).

One important feature I like with the Blackvue is the Cloud support
allowing to received alerts and to check remotely your car.
I think the Thinkware U1000 does this too