Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third party battery like fox ess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you could check out Enphase Encharge. This is based on anecdotes here on TMC and my having seen two Encharge systems deployed in homes near me. The Encharge 10 has similar functionality of the core Powerwall features.

Where they differ seems more on the control/software side. Tesla recently deployed advanced features are better than Enphase. But if you're a loser like me with no access to the Tesla Powerwall advanced features... then my Powerwall system is almost operationally identical to an Enphase system.

You can also ping users @sunwarriors and @lavalamp425 about their Enphase systems.

Here are some other home ESS options (my list may be outdated).

Enphase Encharge 10T is 3.84 kW, 9.7 kWh
Fortress eVault (Sol Ark 12k) is 8.9 kW, 17.8 kWh (and comes with casters do you can wheel it around!)
Generac PWRCell IR/OR M6 is 6.7 kW and 17.3 kWh
LG Chem StorEdge 7600A is 4.6 kW and 16.8 kWh
POMCube PNZ is 12.5 kW and 18.5 kWh
Sonnen EcoLinx gen 1.5 is 7 kW and 18.5 kWh
SunPower SunVault 26 is 6 kW and 22.9 kWh

Super duper random thing, but I've learned the Sol Ark eVault is often exempt from the rules requiring bollards around ESS since it's not a permanent fixture (it's on casters, and the cable connecting it can flex). So it gets the same rules to bypass bollards as an EV that has bidirectional charging/V2H. Obviously wouldn't have to put bollards around your EV, so technically you wouldn't have to put bollards around a stack of batteries that are mobile. Sneaky.

I'm waiting for Vines and Wayne to tell me this is BS hehe.

Super duper random thing, but I've learned the Sol Ark eVault is often exempt from the rules requiring bollards around ESS since it's not a permanent fixture (it's on casters, and the cable connecting it can flex). So it gets the same rules to bypass bollards as an EV that has bidirectional charging/V2H. Obviously wouldn't have to put bollards around your EV, so technically you wouldn't have to put bollards around a stack of batteries that are mobile. Sneaky.

I'm waiting for Vines and Wayne to tell me this is BS hehe.
I'm waiting for a video of someone trying to convince an inspector it wasn't permanent. If it has hardwire connections vs receptacle outlets I would say it is permanent. I am not really sure though.

I'm waiting for a video of someone trying to convince an inspector it wasn't permanent. If it has hardwire connections vs receptacle outlets I would say it is permanent. I am not really sure though.
I could see an argument being made that if it is mobile and has a disconnect and was on fire it can be pulled/towed away from the house to the street in the same way that an EV can. Another argument could be made if it is movable and was hit by a vehicle that it would move with the force and not get crushed like a fixed ESS would.

Reactions: Vines
I could see an argument being made that if it is mobile and has a disconnect and was on fire it can be pulled/towed away from the house to the street in the same way that an EV can. Another argument could be made if it is movable and was hit by a vehicle that it would move with the force and not get crushed like a fixed ESS would.
I agree, this sounds good and I hope whoever tries it gets this passed final inspection. A good argument is usually my plan B after good code citations.

Reactions: BGbreeder

But wouldn't the same argument happen to @jboy210 's future F150 Lightning... where if it were doing bi-directional charging, someone could ram him from behind and crush his batteries causing a big fire. So he'd have to surround his truck with Bollards.

Vines is going to revise his bollard code language to say if the ESS is on wheels, it will be exempt from the bollard thing if the entire contraption is self-powered and drivable with internal crumple zones haha.

But wouldn't the same argument happen to @jboy210 's future F150 Lightning... where if it were doing bi-directional charging, someone could ram him from behind and crush his batteries causing a big fire. So he'd have to surround his truck with Bollards.

Vines is going to revise his bollard code language to say if the ESS is on wheels, it will be exempt from the bollard thing if the entire contraption is self-powered and drivable with internal crumple zones haha.
I would hope Ford has run a few of the F-150s into walls and made sure the battery survives with minimal damage. Because you know the abuse a truck takes. I imagine some yahoo will stick the battery onto a boulder sooner or later in Moab or on the Rubicon. Same for Rivian.

Last edited:
I would hope Ford has run a few of the F-150s into walls and made sure the battery survives with minimal damage. Because you know the abuse a truck takes. I imagine some yahoo will stick the battery onto a boulder sooner or later in Moab or on the Rubicon. Same for Rivian.

I'm having more fun imagining your truck surrounded by the bollards you see in those limited access roadways where if a bus appears the bollard goes down, but when the bus is gone the bollard goes up to prevent random cars down the same path. Of course spaced 18" apart so a motorcycle cannot torpedo your truck while it's plugged in.

I'm having more fun imagining your truck surrounded by the bollards you see in those limited access roadways where if a bus appears the bollard goes down, but when the bus is gone the bollard goes up to prevent random cars down the same path. Of course spaced 18" apart so a motorcycle cannot torpedo your truck while it's plugged in.
The one thing about the F-150 Lightning is that I think it will not fit in my garage. So, if Ford ever says I can make a final order, and by some miracle it shows up without a 100% price uplift when I go to pick it up, I suspect it will be parked the driveway, like all my neighbor's trucks.

The one thing about the F-150 Lightning is that I think it will not fit in my garage. So, if Ford ever says I can make a final order, and by some miracle it shows up without a 100% price uplift when I go to pick it up, I suspect it will be parked the driveway, like all my neighbor's trucks.

I guess the good news is the F150 lightning won't leave oil drip spots or leak differential fluid on your driveway like your neighbor's Ford trucks.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin

1662766447813.png

Its designed to be mounted to a wall in siesmic areas.