Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party Charging Stations - Specifically - Chargepoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 90D MS - I travel a lot and in the places I travel there are only ChargePoint level 2 chargers - I put it in my charge point app with my model and it takes out the Level 2. When I called chargepoint because there is no Tesla customer service to speak of, I was told it was because I don't have the correct adapter with my car. He said Telsla would not allow them to use their configuration (sorry I know everyone on this chat knows a lot more about Teslas and the lingo than I ) I looked on the chargePoint app and it says it needs "Combo CHAdeMO". The CharePoint rep also told me that I could only use the level 1 Chargepoint chargers. So my question is Does Tesla sell an adapter for this charging type/station? There are no Tesla chargers here except Level 1's, and my Battery will be pretty very low when I get here. Thanks anyone for any information. This car has become the biggest challenge I have encountered in my life. Mostly because of the lack of information/education on the front end and lack of support Tesla provides to its customers. Next EV not likely to be Tesla.

Ok so regarding CHAdeMO if you purchase the Tesla Adapter $510.00 is this a viable option for a ChargePoint DC Fast charing station that supports CHAdeMO or are there other problems. Seems I can’t get a straight answer from Tesla. But would be my only apparent option for fast chargers in Steamboat again my Tesla is 2016

Upvote 0
This is from the Tesla shop website:

“For Model S without Supercharging enabled, onboard hardware must be activated to use the CHAdeMO adapter. Every new Model S or Model X is already Supercharging enabled.

The Model S and Model X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3”

Upvote 0

“For Model S without Supercharging enabled, onboard hardware must be activated to use the CHAdeMO adapter. Every new Model S or Model X is already Supercharging enabled.

That all sounds like old information. Have you ever used a Supercharger with your vehicle?

The circumstances you describe, I believe everything will work as desired. Good luck getting a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, though. And I believe they may be "end of life" and no longer receiving updates. Definitely check for that as well.

Upvote 0
Ok so regarding CHAdeMO if you purchase the Tesla Adapter $510.00 is this a viable option for a ChargePoint DC Fast charing station that supports CHAdeMO or are there other problems. Seems I can’t get a straight answer from Tesla. But would be my only apparent option for fast chargers in Steamboat again my Tesla is 2016
Yes, that will definitely work for yours if you can get one of the CHAdeMO adapters. Some people are selling them for a markup on Ebay. I still have one for my 2014 S85.

Right. You have a 2016 90D. It definitely has Supercharging working, as long as it's not a totaled and salvaged rebuild. Tesla disables DC fast charging on most of those.
OMG, they still have that outdated info there! When the Model 3 first came out, that was correct. There was some kind of incompatibility that wouldn't let the CHAdeMO adapters work on them. It took about 6 months? Maybe most of a year (?) for Tesla to finally get a software patch into the Model 3s that finally enabled the CHAdeMO adapters to work, but they never managed to delete that warning off of the product page for the adapter.

Upvote 0
That all sounds like old information. Have you ever used a Supercharger with your vehicle?

The circumstances you describe, I believe everything will work as desired. Good luck getting a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, though. And I believe they may be "end of life" and no longer receiving updates. Definitely check for that as well.
Yea I have used the Tesla superchargers when available or needed without issue

Upvote 0
Do you mean the CHAdeMO charing stations may be at end of life so what there is there but if they break nothing will be done so I may spend 500$ on adapter for a year and 1 charing station?

Well there's that - CHAdeMO is being phased out. It's not being included on any new car builds that I'm aware of. The charging stations are also likely not being replaced when they fail.

But I was specifically referring to the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. It runs software internally in the adapter in order to communicate with the charging system. If the charging system gets an update, the adapter has to get an update.

I believe it also has to have software updates in order to communicate with the car.

I am not certain that Tesla is updating that software any longer. If you choose to purchase the adapter it would be worth your time to verify that Tesla intends to continue supporting it.

I personally would not bother with that adapter. What are your specific use areas?

Upvote 0
It's funny--I just had someone private message me on this forum today asking if he could borrow my CHAdeMO adapter. It's for the route from Boise to Winnemucca, which is over 250 miles, and STILL does not have a Supercharger. It's one of the top few most glaring omissions of Tesla's Supercharger coverage in the country.

Upvote 0
There's another between Oklahoma City and Van Buren. There are a couple CHAdeMO Stations in there. Tesla has had a supercharger station planned for years. Apparently they don't think there is enough demand or just can't get anyone to agree for the property lease.

Though I'd probably get a full charge and drive slow or detour through Tulsa before stopping for slow CHAdeMO. There's a couple CCS locations that could shorten up the total distance but not by.much because they're both near the ends.

Upvote 0