Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party "pay for charge" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about this a lot during the early days of Supercharging - how could Tesla get penetration as fast as possible, and could they use a model. Bottom line is that Tesla has always been about removing the obstacles to EV ownership and this model could throw up a few roadblocks, especially if you get monopoly-minded individuals who attempt to manage it like beer at a ballpark. "I'm the exclusive rightsholder to charging at Wally World... enjoy your time at Wally World, and thank you for paying the $100 to charge fee!"

I thought it might work if they were to use a controlled franchise model (although I don't know if that would create obstacles in their vehicle sales & service model - could that defeat their standing in the eyes of some state laws) to grow superchargers, but retain pricing and operational control. That way, growth could be spurred by those who use it as an attractant to their businesses, and installation managed outside of Tesla. Quality control would be important here, though, and perhaps Tesla is afraid of the amount of growth that would occur, then perhaps a natural die-off of some of the facilities.

I thought about this a lot during the early days of Supercharging - how could Tesla get penetration as fast as possible, and could they use a model. Bottom line is that Tesla has always been about removing the obstacles to EV ownership and this model could throw up a few roadblocks, especially if you get monopoly-minded individuals who attempt to manage it like beer at a ballpark. "I'm the exclusive rightsholder to charging at Wally World... enjoy your time at Wally World, and thank you for paying the $100 to charge fee!"

I thought it might work if they were to use a controlled franchise model (although I don't know if that would create obstacles in their vehicle sales & service model - could that defeat their standing in the eyes of some state laws) to grow superchargers, but retain pricing and operational control. That way, growth could be spurred by those who use it as an attractant to their businesses, and installation managed outside of Tesla. Quality control would be important here, though, and perhaps Tesla is afraid of the amount of growth that would occur, then perhaps a natural die-off of some of the facilities.
I think you are overthinking this :)
Just don't hand out exclusive deals. People who overcharge won't see business, unless they are indeed at a spot that really really needs a charger. In which case Tesla can open their own, or someone else will step up and compete. As long as no one gets granted a local monopoly I can only see upside.
(and yes, the caveat of "can't be called 'Supercharger'" still applies)

I think you are overthinking this :)
Just don't hand out exclusive deals. People who overcharge won't see business, unless they are indeed at a spot that really really needs a charger. In which case Tesla can open their own, or someone else will step up and compete. As long as no one gets granted a local monopoly I can only see upside.
(and yes, the caveat of "can't be called 'Supercharger'" still applies)

Absolutely, Tesla should license Supercharger compatible charging.

Call it what you want, maybe Megacharging, but keep the term Supercharger a free, Tesla service. If companies like ABB, Eaton, etc, want to license the "Megacharging" standard and make dual or tri standard fast DC chargers, all power to them; let them collect income for the service if they want, and we all get more charging choices. I am sure that Tesla will require some minimum standards of service, in electrical, protocol, and business practices, etc as part of the licensing.

In the short term, Tesla should sell modified CHAdeMO adapters (pigtails, different cable lengths, etc) to companies like ABB and Eaton so that they can field fast DC chargers with Tesla connectors ASAP!

I just don't think that there is a business model for Tesla only chargers on a fee for service basis, especially competing with free charging from Tesla.

More charging choices is always better for the EV owner.

An attendee of the January event in Munich asked Elon on the thread subject. The answer was, not now, maybe later. Tesla focus is on building the supercharger network to enable long distance travel at the moment.

So the idea of a differently labeled Tesla compatible intra city DC charging has appeal to me. Since it is NOT Tesla supercharging, all Model S in existence should be able to use it, shouldn't they? IOW the 60kWh cars that didn't pay Tesla for the option to supercharge.

Isn't this just what the mythical chademo-adapter will bring us? For those of us who live in countries where these things are fairly widely deployed, at least.

I'd probably rarely need to charge more than 1 hour at chademo speeds.

Commercially, chademo would be more interesting for charging station owners, since there's a larger market.

Basically yes, but you need a supercharging enabled Model S to use the CHAdeMO adapter.

If you live far away from any supercharger, you probably want to use every 3rd party fast DC charging without having to pay big to Tesla first. Even if it is a one time fee.