Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third-party Tesla service centers in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone knows of any third-party Tesla service centers in the state, let's list them here. As someone who owns an out-of-warranty Tesla that is somewhat high-maintenance, it would be really nice to have options. I'm sure a lot of us know about the Electrified Garage, but they're clear on the other side of the US. Surely there must be some third-party service centers in California that can perform Tesla-specific repairs, right?

Perhaps not. MA is a unique state in their right-to-repair laws. I don’t know how the new FL shop opened, either they use their MA resources or the laws have changed. As Teslas go out of warranty it is going to be an interesting time for lawmakers finally facing this issue.

Reactions: maximizese
If anyone knows of any third-party Tesla service centers in the state, let's list them here. As someone who owns an out-of-warranty Tesla that is somewhat high-maintenance, it would be really nice to have options. I'm sure a lot of us know about the Electrified Garage, but they're clear on the other side of the US. Surely there must be some third-party service centers in California that can perform Tesla-specific repairs, right?
Any luck?? My Tesla has 177,000 miles. Would love to find an independent mechanic

Any luck?? My Tesla has 177,000 miles. Would love to find an independent mechanic

Jamison is mostly focused on Roadsters, but he did some great cosmetic work on my 162k mile Model S

My 2014 P85D (136kmi) just came out of battery and drive train warranty being 8 years old in December 2022. I am worrying about the rear drive unit making a buzzing/whirring sound only under the accelerator press, although it's been doing that for the last 60kmi while I have had this car. I'm not sure if it's going to break soon or stay like that for another 60kmi. Anyway, looking for an independent EV/Tesla repair shop alternative around me so if the car does die I know where to tow it to. What I understand Tesla SC is they only swap out parts and not really take apart and repair things, particularly the drive unit so for certain thing Tesla SC can be really expensive. I am sure everyone here reading this board all know the story of the $22k new battery pack that Tesla SC ask for that was fixed by a third party for $5k. So from what I read my P85D rear drive unit is going to be $10K if it does break or I can have it rebuilt for about half or less, even if I have to tow the car half across California.

Here's what I found in Northern California that claims to be able to service Teslas (not sure what the level of their expertise is as I have no experience with any of them):
  • EV's Republic in Rancho Cordova (near Sacramento)
  • Argonaut Garage in Berkeley
  • Sunnyvale Foreign Car Service in Mountain View (their website claims they can service Tesla but on the phone, they said no because Tesla does not allow them)

Reactions: yoyoyojoe
I was at QC Charge in Carlsbad this weekend, they are certainly one of those places that fixes a $20,000 battery for $4,000. Had one apart on the floor when I was there. Just needed to touch up the solder on the bad module, another one had a bad BMS that showed as a couple of bad modules. BTW, QC pointed out that Tesla doesn't sell ANY "new" battery packs, just remanufactured. If they run out of them they might make you a new one, but they don't want the next guy to demand a new one too, so they sell them all as 'reman'.

I don't know about going with a replacement module repair though. I was talking to the repair guy and he said that they have to match the module they replace in your pack to the same capabilities of the remaining modules or it will cause more problems, so I come in with 242K miles on my pack and your gonna find a module that will mate with that and I shouldn't expect another problem down the road at 252K miles? Seems like unless I have a pretty young car that's just outta warranty I'd be better off with the reman pack for $20,000 or less as prices keep coming down, and I may get another 100K outta that pack.

QC wants to branch out to towns that have more EVs, I suggested Alameda, but Palo Alto probably has more, and more disposable income.

Last edited: