Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third row comfortable in summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with kids in the third row chime in on how comfortable they are back there in the summer? I don’t think there are any third row AC vents like on the X. I recall the rear facing model S seats got toasty so I’m wondering how the Y third row fares.

Can anyone with kids in the third row chime in on how comfortable they are back there in the summer? I don’t think there are any third row AC vents like on the X. I recall the rear facing model S seats got toasty so I’m wondering how the Y third row fares.
You seem to be in AZ. Is any car comfortable in the summer heat there? ;-)

If we are talking about the model Y 7 seater depends on your kids size if you have ever been in the mustang newer models back seats or any challenger back seats they are pretty much the same fake seats and only good for car seats for children or kids that are smaller then 5ft

You seem to be in AZ. Is any car comfortable in the summer heat there? ;-)
With cabin over heat protection and pre conditioning it’s not bad at all but then again I have fresh air blowing in my face which is why I was questioning the back.
If we are talking about the model Y 7 seater depends on your kids size if you have ever been in the mustang newer models back seats or any challenger back seats they are pretty much the same fake seats and only good for car seats for children or kids that are smaller then 5ft
All of my children are short and at this point even the oldest will fit for quite a while. Whoever gets the back kicks out because they get more leg room since we can scoot the others up. My main complaint is ingress/egress. Why can’t they make a 6 seat Y.
also, you don't have dedicated AC vents for the third row (please correct me if I am wrong).
Nope you don’t to my knowledge. Unless they are hidden in the floor or something which I doubt.

With cabin over heat protection and pre conditioning it’s not bad at all but then again I have fresh air blowing in my face which is why I was questioning the back.

All of my children are short and at this point even the oldest will fit for quite a while. Whoever gets the back kicks out because they get more leg room since we can scoot the others up. My main complaint is ingress/egress. Why can’t they make a 6 seat Y.

Nope you don’t to my knowledge. Unless they are hidden in the floor or something which I doubt.
7 seater owner here, delivered the end of March 2021. 31,500 miles in 14 months, many 3500 mile round trips with 2 adults, 3 children and a 65 lb dog. The shade for the hatchback rear glass from Tesla makes a difference in the heat and direct sun's rays hitting the kid occupying the third row. There are no third row vents. The second row vents are in the middle console facing the second row seats. We have the middle row center seatback down flat which helps somewhat with the cooler air from the second row travel to the third row and the dog also likes it that way to go back and forth. There are two return vents that suck air out of the cabin, one under each front seat. There are no vents under the middle row seats. Adding a glass roof shade may make a further difference, I have not. Multiple brands are available now, seriously considering it. Blast the middle row vent at 8 or 9 if you have a kid in the third row and put the middle row center seatback down flat. Park in a shade if possible. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
I was just in NorCal over the weekend attending a graduation at UC Davis, where it was 107 degrees. The wife and my daughter were sitting in the third row. I had the second row vents pointed towards the roof, and had the temp set to 67. Everyone said they were fine.

Reactions: Anser
7 seater owner here, delivered the end of March 2021. 31,500 miles in 14 months, many 3500 mile round trips with 2 adults, 3 children and a 65 lb dog. The shade for the hatchback rear glass from Tesla makes a difference in the heat and direct sun's rays hitting the kid occupying the third row. There are no third row vents. The second row vents are in the middle console facing the second row seats. We have the middle row center seatback down flat which helps somewhat with the cooler air from the second row travel to the third row and the dog also likes it that way to go back and forth. There are two return vents that suck air out of the cabin, one under each front seat. There are no vents under the middle row seats. Adding a glass roof shade may make a further difference, I have not. Multiple brands are available now, seriously considering it. Blast the middle row vent at 8 or 9 if you have a kid in the third row and put the middle row center seatback down flat. Park in a shade if possible. Hope this helps.
That is a good point I did not consider folding that seat. It would address visibility a bit and also help them get in and out easier. Thank you!
I was just in NorCal over the weekend attending a graduation at UC Davis, where it was 107 degrees. The wife and my daughter were sitting in the third row. I had the second row vents pointed towards the roof, and had the temp set to 67. Everyone said they were fine.
Yes it’s the 100+ degrees I’m thinking of. Thank you for your feedback!

Reactions: Anser