Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row Seat Disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a 7 row Model X since 2016. If we roll the seats all the way back, it is easily that tight. Clearly in the photos the 2nd row is on rails. I've never understood why people have had their knickers in such a twist about the 7 seat Model Y. It's obvious that it was going to be tight. 7 seat vehicles are always about squeezing people in for short trips. Anything else is a Suburban/ Minivan.

As far as the 3rd row passengers: "pain is the feeling of weakness leaving your body!"

lol an article that is 10 months old.

I'm just as interested in what the MY looks like with a 3rd row, but my gut is the design has likely changed quite a bit since Feb, if not, then I suppose no one is forking over dollars for a MY 7 seater.

Last edited:
Anyone who has even looked at a 5 seater Tesla from the rear knows there is no way that a 7 seater will even be able to take 2 small children in that trunk space area. It will also severely restrict the remaining trunk space. Yet people imagined that somehow magically those seven seats will seat seven adults and also have reasonable room for luggage without increasing internal dimensions.

If you want seven seater, pony up the money for an X.

It will be a packaging miracle if they can pull it off. There's barely enough room in the rear hatch area for my 50 lb dog.

For comparison, we have a CX-9 that has probably another 6-8" in length in the hatch space. And the third row in that is still basically "emergency only" seating.

Many owners only want a 7 seater for that occasional time when some additional kids need a ride home or to an event. Might work out well for those cases. Most of the time the back seats will be unused.

If you need to use all 7 seats a lot of the time...then you need a larger vehicle.