Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row Seat Disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you meant, but I still laughed at the idea of a 7 "row" model X. :)

I dunno, they just need to talk to some of those discount airlines. Just think of all the wasted space on the ceiling and roof. o_O

It only takes one software update and they could probably squeeze a lot into that space with some of those compression formats... (ZIP, RAR, 7Z, ...) :p

• Funny
Reactions: lozza and jsight
Not only is the leg room tight, with the height of the second row, you'd really get claustrophobic, even on the short trips this is really intended for.

And I love the fact that the middle seat of the second row is out of alignment.....

I wish tesla could atleast show proper photos of 7 seater with whatever final design changes rather than being secretive. It will make that 7 seater wait-list shorter or longer.
We are a family of 5 but I am waiting for 7 seater as those 2 extra seats are perfect for occasional short trips with extra kids or grand parents. I would rather take one car for that family dinner trip for example and exactly due to those once in a while trip paying ~$30k for 7 seat MX does not make sense.

• Funny
Reactions: lozza
Are the seats for sure facing forward?
There'd be a lot more leg room if they were rear facing like the original Model S rear seats.
Nope !!!

tesla-model-y-7-seat-3rd-row-folded.jpg

Reactions: EchoDelta
I wish tesla could atleast show proper photos of 7 seater with whatever final design changes rather than being secretive.
It will make that 7 seater wait-list shorter or longer.
It would be nice to have the second row middle seat collapsible to convert the 7 seats into a 6 seat version,
to provide a small tunnel access to the 3rd row and also to provide more leg room for the 3rd row (like the Model X 6 seats version)?

See the 2018 Mazda 6 Premacy with Karakuri seats which was available in Japan:

We are a family of 5 but I am waiting for 7 seater as those 2 extra seats are perfect
for occasional short trips with extra kids or grand parents.
I would rather take one car for that family dinner trip for example and exactly due to those once in a while trip
paying ~$30k for 7 seat MX does not make sense.

The following video from CarseatBlog gives a good idea of the 3rd row seating and leg room condition for the Mazda 6 Premacy:

Note: At 4:00, you can notice that the 3rd row shoulder seat belts seem to be located to high for a kid.
This would be something to check for the coming Model Y with 7seats.

2012 Mazda 5 Kids and Carseats Review

So if you look at the December update on that old article, it appears the visualization of the Model Y now shows forward facing 3rd row seats (though it looks like they're folded in the virtual image). They're saying that's more proof that they'll be forward facing. I still can't imagine Tesla releasing that compared to rear facing, unless there are serious safety issues or egress issues that would cause them to not earn 5 stars for all passengers. I still hold firm that if these are forward facing, they will essentially be useless except for pets and potentially kids in child carriers, and honestly I think pets would rather be in the back.

That image looks like no more than maybe 6 inches of leg room, even if that's closer to 8 to 10 inches it looks like the floor has a start of a hump at the base of those rear seats, which will force feet forward and under the second row. Even for small children (say 6 and older) I think this would feel very claustrophobic and removed from the rest of the car. They would be short enough to not really be able to see over the second row rear well and physically would be fairly far away from the driver. Obviously there would be people in the second row, otherwise you wouldn't use the 3rd row, but I think they would still feel pretty isolated back there. While rear facing would be just as "isolated" from the front row and second row, it would feel much more open and inviting while they get to watch out the windows instead of having the tall solid rear of the second row in front of them.

I think 10 and above would start to run into leg room issues with boys, and even girls might have some issues back there, especially if they've got jackets on or boots or anything during cooler months. While you physically might fit, you don't want to have to bend your legs/feet 90 degrees to slide in and out; just skip the vehicle and get something larger, especially as kids are only going to grow more.

Now if you need room for child seats, say you have three kids in carriers or something, then this might give you a way for you and a spouse to go somewhere and have three kids seats attached properly, but man again, the kid in the way back is going to be removed from the rest of the family by a decent amount and might make parents a little nervous.

If this is truly how 3rd row seats will be, I'm shocked Tesla is taking the time and effort to build them out AND charging so much extra for them. I could see a no cost option since they're basically useless, but charging so much more for something that can't really be used for much of anything... that's tough and will be an easy target for any other automaker to go after if they've got a car that's like 6 inches longer or something..... maybe Tesla will stretch the wheel base a little?

It would be nice to have the second row middle seat collapsible to convert the 7 seats into a 6 seat version,
to provide a small tunnel access to the 3rd row and also to provide more leg room for the 3rd row (like the Model X 6 seats version)?

The following video from CarseatBlog gives a good idea of the 3rd row seating and leg room condition for the Mazda 6 Premacy:

Note: At 4:00, you can notice that the 3rd row shoulder seat belts seem to be located to high for a kid.
This would be something to check for the coming Model Y with 7seats.

2012 Mazda 5 Kids and Carseats Review
That collapsible middle row seat is a very clever design. However with car seats on either ends of middle row will not allow that access unless you remove the car seats.
Due to questionable headroom and legroom I wish Tesla could show the official photos/videos of 7 seater soon.

That's pretty cool, but my 2007 Honda Odyssey also had a very neat solution - excuse the dorky guy in this video that seems to struggle with every step of putting the 8th seat in. It's not that hard.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I was kinda surprised that I had little understanding of how the Model X 7 seat configuration works, and it looks like there's been some revisions from the original 3-seat on monoposts to 60/40 bench on rails and fold-flat. One would expect the 3rd row Model Y to keep the 2nd row 40/20/40 split although unclear how it would slide (all together or 60/40 or something else?).

These older posts seem to have similar discussions as here but have actual pictures/videos:
Model X 2nd row now folds FLAT! (July 1st 2017 update)
7 seater with 3 car seats in middle row
6 vs 7 seats, 2nd row movement

I wish tesla could atleast show proper photos of 7 seater with whatever final design changes rather than being secretive. It will make that 7 seater wait-list shorter or longer.
We are a family of 5 but I am waiting for 7 seater as those 2 extra seats are perfect for occasional short trips with extra kids or grand parents. I would rather take one car for that family dinner trip for example and exactly due to those once in a while trip paying ~$30k for 7 seat MX does not make sense.
I'm in the absolute same situation. I actually have an active order for a 7 seater Y that I've been waiting (im)patiently for.

We have a family of 5 and currently drive a Honda Pilot. We keep the 3rd row folded down 95% of the time, but when we take road trips, flipping it up and throwing a kid in the back is worth every penny. I've driven a Model Y. I've inspected the back. I know it's going to be less room. I still don't care. I think it's enough for an occasional trip. If Tesla can make the 2nd row slide while retaining the 40/20/40 split, that might allow you to slide just one section forward to make more leg room for the back. That would be A+

EITHER WAY -- bring on the 7 seater. I'm eager to take delivery!

Reactions: EchoDelta
I’m sorry, but anyone who thought this sized vehicle would have any semblance of usable third row seats is either stupid or is kidding themselves. The idea of it even being a thing is totally ridiculous.my MDX is way bigger and still has virtually useless third row seats.

I'm in the absolute same situation.
I actually have an active order for a 7 seater Y that I've been waiting (im)patiently for.

We have a family of 5 and currently drive a Honda Pilot.
We keep the 3rd row folded down 95% of the time, but when we take road trips,
flipping it up and throwing a kid in the back is worth every penny.

I've driven a Model Y. I've inspected the back. I know it's going to be less room.
I still don't care. I think it's enough for an occasional trip.
If Tesla can make the 2nd row slide while retaining the 40/20/40 split,
that might allow you to slide just one section forward to make more leg room for the back.
That would be A+

EITHER WAY -- bring on the 7 seater. I'm eager to take delivery!
This would be the typical usage of the 3rd row, when looking at this video from i1Tesla: