TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Third row seats will not go up

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jabe99, Jun 6, 2018.

1. jabe99

jabe99 Member

I have had my third row seats down for a month. I went to raise them and they would not go up. I press the button and can hear gears move, but the seat remains locked down. Any ideas? Tesla says they will send a tech out.

2. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Is there anything in the closed seat? People have reported that anything shut in the seat can prevent it from re-opening.

3. COrich

COrich Member

The rear seats have had some (but not many) failures in the latch mechanism. I had to have mine replaced last year for the same problem. Only on seat was stuck, but there was no way to move it. The problem was probably fixable, but would have meant removing the back cover on the seat. The complete seat assembly was replaced under warranty.

4. jabe99

jabe99 Member

Thanks for the information. I will wait for the ranger to show up.

5. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

I had mine fail in the up position but with the same symptoms. The button would engage the motor, but the latch had failed. The entire rear seat had to be replaced. The wait for the seat was 1 month, but a Ranger did the swap in 45 min. The seat is held in place with 8 Torx bolts. Only other connections were 2 electrical connectors that have the seat sensor, seat heater, and latch wires. Very quick process.

6. Terthen

Terthen Member