TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Third row seats

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Lucidor, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Lucidor

Lucidor Member

Looking at photos of the Model X prototypes, I get the impression that the two seats in the third row are tied together as a bench. That means that the owner of the car has to chose between five seats and seven. Six seats would not be an option. That would be a dissappointment to me as I found the configuration useful back when we had a Ford Galaxy. We were occasionally traveling six people and the ability to fold one of the seats in the third row was a huge benefit from a cargo carrying perspective (summer vacation in Italy with three adults and three kids, carrying stuff for three weeks by the sea).What are your views on this?

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

We won't know until either the config tool or someone takes delivery. I agree, split seats in the 3rd row would be useful.

3. CarlK

CarlK Member

I seriously doubt that they will not be able to be folded individually.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Who knows. They are being coy about the seating right now and I would not take too much of what you have seen to date as the final version. Don't most SUV/CUV with three rows have split last row seating?

5. 1208

1208 Active Member

Maybe the X will have 4th row seats, with the 4th being the same as the 3rd in the S, with them hidden in the boot/trunk.

6. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

My other car is a 2008 Highlander Hybrid, no split in the third row which was almost a deal breaker when I bought it since the area behind the third row is ridiculously small for storage. Later versions have the third row split.

7. mark

mark Member

I would be SO happy if this were true - we just had child #6 and my dreams of getting an X for my wife are gone otherwise.

8. 1208

1208 Active Member

Could be possible to fit in the 4th...
    Tesla-Model-X-trunk-1024x640.jpg

9. sunkat

sunkat Member

Wow, look at that touchscreen...is that larger than the one on the 'S'?

10. Anzir

Anzir Member

Interesting, I've never seen that picture before.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

One of the early prototype pics. The screen looked bigger than the original Model S one and was set higher in the center of the dash. Of course, we have zero knowledge of how it looks today and the mules all seemed to be fitted with Model S dashboards.

12. O-G

O-G Member

My BMW X5 has individual folding seats in the 3rd row. Two front, three second row, one or two in the third row.

13. trialcritic

trialcritic Member

I suspect there can be no fourth row seats, possibly due to legal reasons. The CUV may not satisfy all the safety requirements of a 4 row vehicle.

14. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Pretty sure the 4th row of seats is sitting cross-legged on top of the falcon doors when they're open.

(Also agree about the safety requirements...)

15. kptesl

kptesl Member

Elon has 5 boys so I think the X will seat 7 total. The S also has 7 when you get the rear facing kids seats- but his boys will outgrow those soon. Good timing!

16. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Have think the same, Elon have to get a bigger car so that all 7 can get normal seats

17. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

For a "fourth row," why not have rear-facing jump seats as an option like in the Model S? Then they could do a remake of the Partridge Family, with a Model X instead of the school bus.

18. timf

timf Member

Realistically the Model X is not long enough to support 4 rows of seats. There is enough room behind the third row for a footwell, but nowhere to put the bench of the seat. You could possibly get away with having two jump seats located on the outer walls facing each other, but I'm not sure these would be practical or safe in an accident.

19. tga

tga Active Member

The only way you'll get a 4 row of RFS is if Elon has 2 more kids.

20. 1208

1208 Active Member

Couldn't a couple of members on here claim to be his long lost children?

Just say to him " You know that time at uni when you were with that girl..."