Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row vs. Spare Tire: RANT!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree, I find your seeming outrage funny. Feels is hardly alone in dropping the spare tire. In September 2018, Consumer Reports noted that 33% of cars came without a spare. In 2017 Car stated that "AAA also offered up a list of new vehicles for 2017 that don’t offer a spare at all. Here they are in alphabetical order:

• Acura NSX
  • Audi R8
  • Audi TT
  • BMW 2 Series
  • BMW 3 Series
  • BMW 4 Series
  • BMW 6 Series
  • BMW i3
  • BMW i8
  • BMW X3
  • BMW X4
  • Cadillac ATS
  • Cadillac CTS
  • Chevrolet Bolt EV
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Corvette
  • Chevrolet SS
  • Chevrolet Volt
  • Dodge Viper
  • Fiat 500
  • Fiat 500L
  • Fiat 500X
  • Ford C-Max
  • Hyundai Accent
  • Hyundai Ioniq
  • Infiniti QX30
  • Jaguar F-Type
  • Jeep Cherokee
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Kia Forte
  • Kia Niro
  • Kia Rio
  • Kia Soul
  • Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • Mercedes-Benz B-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz S-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
  • Mini Cooper Countryman
  • Mitsubishi i-MiEV
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Porsche 718 Cayman
  • Porsche 911 Carrera
  • Porsche Panamera
  • Smart ForTwo
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X"
Three years later, I am sure the list is longer. I hope that the aftermarket companies eventually offer a heater storage option.

While I agree, I find your seeming outrage funny. Feels is hardly alone in dropping the spare tire. In September 2018, Consumer Reports noted that 33% of cars came without a spare. In 2017 Car stated that "AAA also offered up a list of new vehicles for 2017 that don’t offer a spare at all. Here they are in alphabetical order:

• Acura NSX
  • Audi R8
  • Audi TT
  • BMW 2 Series
  • BMW 3 Series
  • BMW 4 Series
  • BMW 6 Series
  • BMW i3
  • BMW i8
  • BMW X3
  • BMW X4
  • Cadillac ATS
  • Cadillac CTS
  • Chevrolet Bolt EV
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Corvette
  • Chevrolet SS
  • Chevrolet Volt
  • Dodge Viper
  • Fiat 500
  • Fiat 500L
  • Fiat 500X
  • Ford C-Max
  • Hyundai Accent
  • Hyundai Ioniq
  • Infiniti QX30
  • Jaguar F-Type
  • Jeep Cherokee
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Kia Forte
  • Kia Niro
  • Kia Rio
  • Kia Soul
  • Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • Mercedes-Benz B-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz S-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
  • Mini Cooper Countryman
  • Mitsubishi i-MiEV
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Porsche 718 Cayman
  • Porsche 911 Carrera
  • Porsche Panamera
  • Smart ForTwo
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X"
Three years later, I am sure the list is longer. I hope that the aftermarket companies eventually offer a heater storage option.
That’s kind of a weird list, because many of those cars (definitely all of the BMWs) came standard with run-flats in 2017. Although they’ve been kicking around the idea of moving back to regular tires and just including a slime/compressor kit.

I’d rather have the space. My BMW 5 series didn’t have a spare tire either. And run flats are absolute garbage.
Can’t argue with that last part. The first BMW I got with run-flats just felt weird, especially while cornering. People on BMW forums kept talking about how switching to regular tires was a revelation, but I got used to the run-flats over the years and stopped noticing. But then driving the MY with its regular tires for the first time felt pretty amazing!

Reactions: patnshan
73Bruin: My point wasn't the lack of a spare, BUT, they're able to find the space for a 3rd row.

I guess any time I'm going to drive in rural TX, I'll just have to have the ModernSpare...or strap a spare on the front bumper, under the longhorn hood ornament.

I don't know that the third row "finds" any new space that could have been used for tire storage. Instead it seems like the reduced second row leg room and trunk space. I would gladly sacrifice the frunk for this room.

I don't think the space a space tire would take is where the third row is though. The third row is in the actual trunk area. Most spares, if they come from the factory, are hidden under the load floor of the trunk which I don't think would fit since while the space underneath the Model Y is deep it isn't very long (front to back).

Losing the spare tire and wheel is a comprimise to add other benefits. Manufacturers reduce the cost of the tire while increasing valuable storage space. The weigh savings is significant when engineers are working like crazy to reduce every ounce. Crash structures work better if they do not need to consider that some would carry a spare, while others would not. The additional passenger space can allow more batteries and more passengers.
People that demand a spare tire can usually throw one in the trunk or hatch and call it a day..

Run flat tires ride rough, grip less, cost more etc.

The modern solution is to just toss the tire.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I think this greatly depends on where you spend most of your time. I'd bet people who live in rural areas would likely prefer a spare, rather than having to wait (and hope) for Tesla service to show up. People living mainly in urban areas can easily forego the spare in lieu of range/weight savings because Tesla service can likely reach them easily. I'm a bit in the middle where I live in a suburban area, but enjoy traveling to rural / remote areas. So I can really understand the desire for the spare.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
for the 6 of you that disagree: please understand, I was making a bit of a joke. (check out the last 2 emojis.

Also understand, if you lived in TX, and and need to drive across the state, having a spare is no joke. Plug kit? Need a jack, and a pump...neither of which come with the Tesla. I now have both in the back, and will be buying a ModernSpare shortly.

...carry on...:) (see? I'm smiling!)

I am also shocked that Tesla makes a car that does not float and be amphibious. What would happen if I was in the middle of nowhere and had an accident where the car was driven into a lake. Why do they not make them so you could just drive back out. If there was no cell service you could not even call for assistance. Just kidding of course.

I recently ran out of gas in my motorcycle. No cell service and a long walk to a gas station. Was I doomed...No...I flagged down another biker and he helped me out by getting a can of gas and bringing it back to me.

If you have a flat tire, with no cell service, consider flagging down a fellow motorist. Explain your situation and have them drive ahead to the next service station and have them dispatch a repair truck to your location. People survived before cell phones.

With current regulations about fuel economy, the spare tire is mostly going away for many manufacturers.

If it is a critical situation, worried owners can most always find a place inside their car to carry a spare. They even make temporary (smaller) tires and wheels that can be used in a pinch.

Reactions: DanDi58 and Zythryn
I have been looking for alternatives to the Modern Spare. I came across the Guniwheel. GUNIWHEEL™ | Universal Wheel Solutions

The Guniwheel 45 is a universal pattern airless polyurethane rubber and mild steel wheel. The Guniwheel 25 will fit the Tesla 5 X 114.3 bolt pattern. The Guniwheel 45 is rated to 2500 lbs. The Gunwheel 45 weighs 34 lbs, measures 22.5" D x 3" W.There is just one catch (isn't there always.) The Guniwheel is a universal wheel for auto shops and tow truck use. The current Guniwheel product is not a DOT rated wheel (not for road use.) The Guniwheel is rated for up to 5 MPH. (In the video the spokesperson says for up to 5 to 10 MPH.)

However, at the end of the video the Guniwheel spokesperson shows a prototype of a new Guniwheel product, the Gunispare, a DOT pneumatic wheel rated for use at highway speeds. The Gunspare was supposed to be introduced in Q3 2020 but does not appear on the Guniwheel web site at this time. Guniwheel Gunispare may yet offer a solution for vehicles such as Teslas that do not have a spare.

Gunispare Coming Soon! GUNISPARE

Here is the video:

Last edited:
  • Informative
YAY, jcanoe...almost...sigh...
Between the Guniwheel and Vredestein's full-size wheel with deflated tire (SpaceMaster), we may yet get a spare wheel that doesn't eat up 1/4 of the hatch area.
Thanks for the post!

I have been looking for alternatives to the Modern Spare. I came across the Guniwheel. GUNIWHEEL™ | Universal Wheel Solutions

The Guniwheel 45 is a universal pattern airless polyurethane rubber and mild steel wheel. The Guniwheel 25 will fit the Tesla 5 X 114.3 bolt pattern. The Guniwheel 45 is rated to 2500 lbs. The Gunwheel 45 weighs 34 lbs, measures 22.5" D x 3" W.There is just one catch (isn't there always.) The Guniwheel is a universal wheel for auto shops and tow truck use. The current Guniwheel product is not a DOT rated wheel (not for road use.) The Guniwheel is rated for up to 5 MPH. (In the video the spokesperson says for up to 5 to 10 MPH.)

However, at the end of the video the Guniwheel spokesperson shows a prototype of a new Guniwheel product, the Gunispare, a DOT pneumatic wheel rated for use at highway speeds. The Gunspare was supposed to be introduced in Q3 2020 but does not appear on the Guniwheel web site at this time. Guniwheel Gunispare may yet offer a solution for vehicles such as Teslas that do not have a spare.

Gunispare Coming Soon! GUNISPARE

Here is the video:
5-10mph? This product strikes me as being more suited for auto shops when they need to move vehicles around with damaged wheels/tires. I don’t see how this product would be more useful than roadside assistance when you get a flat.

In other news, I’ve had my 2012 Honda Pilot for 140k+ miles. I’ve driven it to the top of the highest 3 paved roads in North America and driven it all over the country.

*knocks on wood* I’ve never...in over 7 years...had a flat tire. I’ve never used my spare.