Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This autopilot thing is getting beyond a joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I had an out and back of 55Km each way yesterday and since Mrs* wasn't with me I used the autopilot. (Yes, I know, but it's a convenient term.)
On the way out (this is the A1 North of Raymond Terrace) there were several slight PBs, most of which were anticipated such as when a parallel road displayed a 60Kph sign.
Returning, using NOA all was well until the car went into the overtaking lane to pass a double truck: the truck showed red as expected and as I drew alongside it my car said it was about to return to the slow lane and suddenly did what was almost an emergency brake. There was a car following me but he was a hundred yards behind so there wasn't a danger of getting bashed from behind but he must have wondered "what the ***".
A few minutes later outside the NOA area but still on the motorway EVERY time I overtook it changed lanes reasonably well and then, when initiating the return to the "slow" lane halfway through the lane change it violently - and I mean VIOLENTLY - swerved back into the fast lane when halfway across the divider. This happened probably half a dozen times before I just gave up. God knows what the cars following thought about my driving.
That's happened fairly frequently in the past but yesterday it was every single time.

* I'm not allowed to use the a/p when she's in the car for what are now obvious reasons.

I had an out and back of 55Km each way yesterday and since Mrs* wasn't with me I used the autopilot. (Yes, I know, but it's a convenient term.)
On the way out (this is the A1 North of Raymond Terrace) there were several slight PBs, most of which were anticipated such as when a parallel road displayed a 60Kph sign.
Returning, using NOA all was well until the car went into the overtaking lane to pass a double truck: the truck showed red as expected and as I drew alongside it my car said it was about to return to the slow lane and suddenly did what was almost an emergency brake. There was a car following me but he was a hundred yards behind so there wasn't a danger of getting bashed from behind but he must have wondered "what the ***".
A few minutes later outside the NOA area but still on the motorway EVERY time I overtook it changed lanes reasonably well and then, when initiating the return to the "slow" lane halfway through the lane change it violently - and I mean VIOLENTLY - swerved back into the fast lane when halfway across the divider. This happened probably half a dozen times before I just gave up. God knows what the cars following thought about my driving.
That's happened fairly frequently in the past but yesterday it was every single time.

* I'm not allowed to use the a/p when she's in the car for what are now obvious reasons.
I think most drivers by now….
”what the ****….oh wait its a tesla, stay further back”

I am on 2022.16.3 and was driving last night to my destination. Same issues, in some situations, overtaking would result in a violent return to the right lane. In other situations, there was no issue.

What I did notice during my drive, was post overtake the car would indicate to return to the left lane. However, the road lines on the display would be red indicating it was not safe to return to the left lane. Then within a second the red line would disappear and the overtake procudure would be completed successfully.

I suspect what is happening, is the slower vehicle is picking up speed or some combination of light is tricking the car computer into freaking out and trying to keep you safe - which is a good thing.

I guess this is the price you pay in being an early adopter here in Australia. We can only hope that we get better software updates here in Australia and someone at Tesla is reviewing these problems.

I am on 2022.16.3 and was driving last night to my destination. Same issues, in some situations, overtaking would result in a violent return to the right lane. In other situations, there was no issue.

What I did notice during my drive, was post overtake the car would indicate to return to the left lane. However, the road lines on the display would be red indicating it was not safe to return to the left lane. Then within a second the red line would disappear and the overtake procudure would be completed successfully.

I suspect what is happening, is the slower vehicle is picking up speed or some combination of light is tricking the car computer into freaking out and trying to keep you safe - which is a good thing.

I guess this is the price you pay in being an early adopter here in Australia. We can only hope that we get better software updates here in Australia and someone at Tesla is reviewing these problems.
In these particular "events" (the swerving during regaining the slow lane) the lane changes were initiated with the blinker stalk and I was outside the NOA part of the highway.
They were such violent right turns that I took over instantly as it looked as if the car would end up on the median.
As I mentioned, I've had this happen multiple times over the past year or two, but intermittently - this time it was during every single move back to the slow lane. Very scary.

In these particular "events" (the swerving during regaining the slow lane) the lane changes were initiated with the blinker stalk and I was outside the NOA part of the highway.
They were such violent right turns that I took over instantly as it looked as if the car would end up on the median.
As I mentioned, I've had this happen multiple times over the past year or two, but intermittently - this time it was during every single move back to the slow lane. Very scary.
I've noticed what has been a bug for a very long time. Autopilot sometimes fails to recognise the left lane exists. Its always the left lane. I'll be on the right lane of a dual carriageway road and the left lane disappears from the visualisation. Cars, cones, reflectors all appear in the right spot, but no left lane. This is on very clearly marked roads too.

If the left lane disappears mid lane change whether manual initiation or NoA, the car violently swerves back into the right lane.

My theory is the car thinks the lane doesn't exist so its literally trying to get back onto the road.

Reactions: 1001
I've noticed what has been a bug for a very long time. Autopilot sometimes fails to recognise the left lane exists. Its always the left lane. I'll be on the right lane of a dual carriageway road and the left lane disappears from the visualisation. Cars, cones, reflectors all appear in the right spot, but no left lane. This is on very clearly marked roads too.

If the left lane disappears mid lane change whether manual initiation or NoA, the car violently swerves back into the right lane.

My theory is the car thinks the lane doesn't exist so its literally trying to get back onto the road.
That’s interesting. I’ve never noticed - my monitoring is concentrated on outside rather than the imaging. You are the first to say you have experienced the same “interesting“ experiences.

Reactions: 1001

I can confirm this also happens from time to time. However I have never noticed this during an overtake situation.

Like many here we have given up on handing over any steering control to our Model 3. Many European testers have criticised Tesla‘s self driving modes. A recent UK Autocar magazine road test of the Model Y stated:

”For a company that offers ‘Full Self-Driving’ and ‘Autopilot’, you would expect it to have adaptive cruise control with lane following licked.

Not quite. First things first, the adaptive cruise control itself works well. Adjusting the speed with a scroll wheel is very easy, it anticipates fairly well and it is confident and smooth in speeding up and slowing down.

However, the Autopilot lane following is unusable: it insists on being absolutely centred in the lane, and if you tweak it with the steering, it disengages. Make a lane change too quickly or too slowly and it disengages. Lane keeping assistance can be permanently turned off but generally works fine.

Our test car had the optional Enhanced Autopilot, which supposedly can make lane changes, take motorway exits and merge onto the motorway. Don’t bother – it’s hopeless. It has terrible lane discipline, it dithers, it slows down to a crawl on ramps and it has a phobia of traffic cones.”

That’s interesting. I’ve never noticed - my monitoring is concentrated on outside rather than the imaging. You are the first to say you have experienced the same “interesting“ experiences.
I had a loaner 3 last week as they replaced the windscreen in mine. I can confirm a 2 week old 3 with FSD was doing the exact same thing with lanes ‘disappearing’ with perfectly marked lines.

Reactions: Wol747
There‘s a short stretch, on the ramp towards King Way, starting from the turn off to Montague, the autopilot goes from 80 to 70 to 60 and back up to 80 EVERYTIME. Very comical when you have passengers, like real life bobble heads doing the dance, forward once, twice, AND backwards!

Also, you can’t set a higher speed, it will automatically default back to 80. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Wol747
That whole area is terrible. I take the bolte off-ramp to the tunnel daily and get a similar 80-100-80 then max to 80 for some reason with the limit displaying 100. Maybe one day…. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I have a weird thing around there where the car tells me I'm exceeding the 80kmh limit, but the speed sign recognition tells me the speed limit is 100kmh, on the screen at the same time.