Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This autopilot thing is getting beyond a joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it safe to assume these scary experiences are only impacting NoA / Enchanced AP but not the normal Autopilot (or even TACC for that matter)

Reason I’m asking is I use normal cruise control in my ICE quite religiously

Is it safe to assume these scary experiences are only impacting NoA / Enchanced AP but not the normal Autopilot (or even TACC for that matter)

Well I just went Canberra to the Sunshine Coast and back, using TACC basically the whole way and basic Autopliot for a lot of it, without any of those experiences. The worst I had was in a torrential downpour near Grafton the Autopilot gave up and made me take over, which wasn't too surprising.

Reactions: rx80

Well, my S has FSD and does the shuffling from NoA to basic a/p and back depending on the road - and that change seems a variable feast in itself, if that’s any help.

There‘s a short stretch, on the ramp towards King Way, starting from the turn off to Montague, the autopilot goes from 80 to 70 to 60 and back up to 80 EVERYTIME. Very comical when you have passengers, like real life bobble heads doing the dance, forward once, twice, AND backwards!

Also, you can’t set a higher speed, it will automatically default back to 80. 🤷‍♂️

Not to mention the speed sign recognition on the West Gate Fwy has never worked for me correctly.

I suspect many similar recognition issues will never be resolved unless cars get REAL AI a opposed to the pseudo AI that’s around now.
Just think about it - the LH/RH drive of different countries is a relatively easy thing - it’s either one or the other. But with a couple of hundred countries, with most having all sorts of differing signage, even getting Californian programmers to research all the combinations let alone code for them is probably an impossible ask.
I’m certainly not going to be around if AI gets to be cognitive in the future and that’s another can of worms!

I wouldn't call it a scary experience. Just that a 10k feature should be fixed by now. Regular autopilot and TACC are pretty good. Minor phantom braking here and there, but thats rare in my experience.

with most having all sorts of differing signage, even getting Californian programmers to research all the combinations let alone code for them is probably an impossible ask

What strikes me as strange is that the AI reads roadside speed signs just fine. It's the overhead / LED ones that it struggles with, even though they look identical. Seems like a design oversight if the system is unable to read them.

I wouldn't call it a scary experience. Just that a 10k feature should be fixed by now. Regular autopilot and TACC are pretty good. Minor phantom braking here and there, but thats rare in my experience.
If you wouldn't call that a scary experience I would surmise you haven't experienced the full-on swerve we are discussing!
It's not so much of a swerve as a lunge away from the inside lane into which the car is attempting to change - violent enough to throw you to one side. It's bad enough for the driver who can feel the wheel suddenly whipping right but really bad for the passenger seat cleanliness....
The bad thing is that there's no way to report these things to Tesla so they just go on their merry way assuming all's working as advertised. Within spec....

The model S version of TACC is nervous and twitchy. I no longer use it in fear of being rear ended multiple times each day. It may be diffrent on the 3.

Reactions: Wol747
If you wouldn't call that a scary experience I would surmise you haven't experienced the full-on swerve we are discussing!
It's not so much of a swerve as a lunge away from the inside lane into which the car is attempting to change - violent enough to throw you to one side. It's bad enough for the driver who can feel the wheel suddenly whipping right but really bad for the passenger seat cleanliness....
The bad thing is that there's no way to report these things to Tesla so they just go on their merry way assuming all's working as advertised. Within spec....
Jump into the app and book a service / repair for the issue. Nothing may come of it but sometimes it does cause an action.

It’s been discussed a bit before, theory is a frequency/refresh rate issue with the speed signs vs the cars cameras.
Yeah. The LED signs might look solid to human eyes, but they're really flashing on and off many times a second. The camera is also taking frames many times a second, and if those don't happen at the same time, the signs will look blank or half-lit to the camera in most frames.

Reactions: Wol747 and Leeroy
It's not so much of a swerve as a lunge away from the inside lane into which the car is attempting to change - violent enough to throw you to one side.
I suppose I'm so used to it now I'm accustomed to it. I know exactly what you're talking about. My hands are on the steering wheel though, so the force of the swerve disengages autopilot. I'll admit it would be scary the first time is occurs.

If I lived within a couple of hours of an SC I'd do that but.............
You wouldn’t need to actually attend the SC, it just jolts tesla into looking at your logs and see if something is unual. In SA the techs always try and cancel SC appointments by resolving matters beforehand. I’ve probably booked 5 or 6 in last 12 months. All fixed without attending any, although the last one they came to me, which was replacement of air filters and check brake fluid.

• Informative
Reactions: 1001
The model S version of TACC is nervous and twitchy. I no longer use it in fear of being rear ended multiple times each day. It may be diffrent on the 3.

It’s not that different on the 3… although on my most recent highway trip I didn’t have a single phantom braking incident in over 300 km. So maybe its getting better with recent software updates.