TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

This can't be good... (ICE leak in garage)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by thedaysbetween, Mar 14, 2014.

1. thedaysbetween

Delivery last night. Charged and took the car to work early this morning. My wife walked through the garage where the Tesla was parked and found this...

Attached Files:

2. Zextraterrestrial

what does it taste like?

..sorry

3. thedaysbetween

it is characterized as "oily and amber"

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Looks like a coolant leak as I think I see green. Tesla uses coolant in its batteries.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

Call your service center ASAP, have them pick up your car & drop off a loaner for you, send them that picture.

6. thedaysbetween

They (service center folks) are on their way....

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Looks like your kids took that box of popsicles from the freezer last night, camped under the car to eat them, but fell asleep before they could eat them all. :smile:

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wonder if the car throws up a "Low Coolant" message on the screens? I'm thinking likely, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone report it.

9. thedaysbetween

False Alarm. The leak is NOT from the Tesla, but rather from the ICE that it s replacing. Seems the guy who inspected it the night before may have done something inadvertently.

10. Zextraterrestrial

good, that was actually my first thought since there is no fluid that color that I know of in the Tesla. just road grime. Most Ice car fluids taste bad or sweet

get rid of that messy ICE :wink:

11. thedaysbetween

Monday it will be gone!

12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Having been my own mechanic for all my own small (mostly diesel) fleet - about nine vehicles - over the past decades, I can vouch that, as meticulously careful as I can be with respect to fluids - diesel, gasoline, new and used motor oil, antifreeze, lube greases - the cumulative amount of oopses for which I personally am responsible have added up to a very unpleasant amount. Those products directly affect soil quality, the local aquifer and, for the lighter products (gas & diesel), there are a lot of VOCs that are really bad for atmospheric health - are intensely conducive to smog formation and, worse, hit the upper atmosphere for ozone layer depletion.

I know most are far, far sloppier in their handling of fuels and lubricants than I am. I do not have at hand estimates for the amount of such spillage either in the US or worldwide, but it is a terrible amount and at least rivals the controlled usage of hydrocarbons that occurs within engines. I would be grateful if someone were to dig out these numbers - the EPA probably has estimates, at least for within the US.

Another important consideration when assessing the benefits of EVs.

13. anthony

anthony Member

It does, happened to me once, SC topped it up. Like ICE, when you get something replaces that involves antifreeze, there can be bubbles in the system that are tough to get out, and some repeated cycles unearth them.

14. strider

strider Active Member

It will. If my wife parks on a hill it will give her a low coolant error on startup. Always goes away when the car is level again. Haven't had it happen since our first service so maybe it was low from the factory and they added some. But maybe she hasn't parked on a hill in the last 2 months...

15. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

Definitely. Hyrdocarbons in general are not very nice. Asphalt roads themselves can leach more contaminants than federal regulations permit if they aren't maintained.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Doesn't that apply to just about every asphalt road in existence?

17. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

I guess it depends on your area. The roads around here are pretty much free of loose aggregate. But I can think of more than a few places, mostly where there's a lot of semi traffic, that would qualify.