Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This can't be good... (ICE leak in garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery last night. Charged and took the car to work early this morning. My wife walked through the garage where the Tesla was parked and found this...

Attachments

• IMG_0685_edited.jpg
    IMG_0685_edited.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 819
False Alarm. The leak is NOT from the Tesla, but rather from the ICE that it s replacing. Seems the guy who inspected it the night before may have done something inadvertently.

good, that was actually my first thought since there is no fluid that color that I know of in the Tesla. just road grime. Most Ice car fluids taste bad or sweet

get rid of that messy ICE :wink:

Having been my own mechanic for all my own small (mostly diesel) fleet - about nine vehicles - over the past decades, I can vouch that, as meticulously careful as I can be with respect to fluids - diesel, gasoline, new and used motor oil, antifreeze, lube greases - the cumulative amount of oopses for which I personally am responsible have added up to a very unpleasant amount. Those products directly affect soil quality, the local aquifer and, for the lighter products (gas & diesel), there are a lot of VOCs that are really bad for atmospheric health - are intensely conducive to smog formation and, worse, hit the upper atmosphere for ozone layer depletion.

I know most are far, far sloppier in their handling of fuels and lubricants than I am. I do not have at hand estimates for the amount of such spillage either in the US or worldwide, but it is a terrible amount and at least rivals the controlled usage of hydrocarbons that occurs within engines. I would be grateful if someone were to dig out these numbers - the EPA probably has estimates, at least for within the US.

Another important consideration when assessing the benefits of EVs.

I wonder if the car throws up a "Low Coolant" message on the screens? I'm thinking likely, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone report it.

It does, happened to me once, SC topped it up. Like ICE, when you get something replaces that involves antifreeze, there can be bubbles in the system that are tough to get out, and some repeated cycles unearth them.

I wonder if the car throws up a "Low Coolant" message on the screens? I'm thinking likely, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone report it.
It will. If my wife parks on a hill it will give her a low coolant error on startup. Always goes away when the car is level again. Haven't had it happen since our first service so maybe it was low from the factory and they added some. But maybe she hasn't parked on a hill in the last 2 months...

Having been my own mechanic for all my own small (mostly diesel) fleet - about nine vehicles - over the past decades, I can vouch that, as meticulously careful as I can be with respect to fluids - diesel, gasoline, new and used motor oil, antifreeze, lube greases - the cumulative amount of oopses for which I personally am responsible have added up to a very unpleasant amount. Those products directly affect soil quality, the local aquifer and, for the lighter products (gas & diesel), there are a lot of VOCs that are really bad for atmospheric health - are intensely conducive to smog formation and, worse, hit the upper atmosphere for ozone layer depletion.

I know most are far, far sloppier in their handling of fuels and lubricants than I am. I do not have at hand estimates for the amount of such spillage either in the US or worldwide, but it is a terrible amount and at least rivals the controlled usage of hydrocarbons that occurs within engines. I would be grateful if someone were to dig out these numbers - the EPA probably has estimates, at least for within the US.

Another important consideration when assessing the benefits of EVs.

Definitely. Hyrdocarbons in general are not very nice. Asphalt roads themselves can leach more contaminants than federal regulations permit if they aren't maintained.