Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Can't be good... screen issues with 2019.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of our M3’s is also on 2019.8.5 and has been doing the exact same thing. It rebooted twice during our drive home one night while doing that. I wouldn’t bother going to the service center just yet. I’m pretty sure it’s an 8.5 bug.

Our other M3 is still on 2019.5.15. I’ve been a bit frustrated that it hasn’t been receiving updates, but after seeing the problems with 8.5 I think I’m glad I’m still on 5.15 until they sort this stuff out.

For what it's worth I had this issue today (my M3 is only 4 days old and has 249 miles on it). But unlike most of you I'm on firmware version 2019.7.105 (which is believed to be used for HW3 cars - still to be confirmed).

A soft reboot of the screen (while driving) solved it and I didn't see it again.

My one and only (so far) encounter with the screen flickering / artifacting was a couple of days ago. Weather has been a little warmer than before but nothing out of the ordinary for San Jose. I've been on 2019.8.5 since 4/4.

I had a touchscreen failure a week ago, restored by a hard reboot. The next day, the screen was glitching like crazy, with sections of the map replaced by orange bars much like the examples given here. A reboot did nothing! The next day, screen operation was normal. I received the update to software version 12.11 last night, so we'll see if that helps.

I scheduled the update to run when I thought my car would be garaged, but it turns out I was parked on a city street but it uploaded anyway. I thought I had to be connected to wifi for updates? Also, it was a big jump from 8.5 to 12.11, a ton of notes that I haven't yet read.

Mine does it all the time. It seems as if it's hacked as in It actually controls my screen. It removes my favorite, changes my volume, activates navigation, it's even open my glovebox. I've reported to tesla and they actually called me. Hard restart corrects it but not for good.