Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This can't be right, bad battery or normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idk if the M3/Y has the same Energy screen as the S/X, but I use that screen a lot when making trips. It has a really nice interface to let you know if you are gaining or losing ground over the course of the trip. I can then adjust my speed to match my needs. For example, if the estimated battery level at the end of the drive (I think it's called energy at destination) keeps dropping, I keep dropping my speed until it stabilizes. If it starts moving up then I will increase my speed.

But yes, 77mph is a range killer. No different than an ICE. Wind drag goes up exponentially, not linearly, with speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and Rocky_H
If you’re using an app like ABRP, you can specify that you plan to travel a certain percentage over the posted speed limit. I have my app set to 10% for reference, which is admittedly probably a little slower than I would drive on the highway with an ICE.

70 mph plus 10% would be 77, and the ABRP app takes that into account. It seems reasonable and accurate enough.

City drivers and people that don’t drive super fast highway speeds tend to have a much more efficient energy usage, as would be expected.