Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This car gets way too dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's winter. Where I live they use salt for the roads and do regularly plow when there's a big snow storm. Of course, snow melt and dirty water gets kicked up by cars, that's normal. But the car seems excessively dirty.

Anything water on the windshield, like wiper fluid, always gets blown back and streams across the side windows.
After an automated car wash, if the car isn't completely dry, the water ends up accumulating and drying up on the back panels.

I can't open the doors without getting my thumb dirty cause it's always caked with salt/dirt from the roads. Not to mention all the side panels are absolutely covered. I wouldn't fault you for thinking my car was white or silver instead of MSM. I've got salt caked along the edges everywhere, even the side mirrors.

Anyone else feel that this car gets dirtier than other cars you've owned?

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
It's winter. Where I live they use salt for the roads and do regularly plow when there's a big snow storm. Of course, snow melt and dirty water gets kicked up by cars, that's normal. But the car seems excessively dirty.

Anything water on the windshield, like wiper fluid, always gets blown back and streams across the side windows.
After an automated car wash, if the car isn't completely dry, the water ends up accumulating and drying up on the back panels.

I can't open the doors without getting my thumb dirty cause it's always caked with salt/dirt from the roads. Not to mention all the side panels are absolutely covered. I wouldn't fault you for thinking my car was white or silver instead of MSM. I've got salt caked along the edges everywhere, even the side mirrors.

Anyone else feel that this car gets dirtier than other cars you've owned?
Salt?!?! <shivers>. Why would you do that?!?! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: richyrich
As long as your car is protected with a proper layer of wax, I wouldn’t worry too much. Ceramic/ppf would be a bonus.

Not too worried about salt since it's a way of life in the winters and just something you deal with. Regular car washes help. Just that I don't know if it's the aerodynamics or the lines of the car or what, but the way water streams across the body and ends up drying makes the car incredibly dirty. The hood of my car is surprisingly clean comparatively.

Here's a quick pic. This might be NSFL for those who have never seen how dirty a car can get just from regular street driving in Toronto. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 297
Part of it is the complete lack of mud flaps, apparently they are a big aerodynamic hit. I thought It would be a nice upgrade to have a set of them that was removable so we could swap them during winter for the protection against spray, probably would stick out a lot though. The shape of the model 3 leads to a lot of dirt on the sides, as the lower body line is a few inches narrower than the tires.
Ceramic coating doesn't help a ton but it does help some.

Reactions: SJC3
There is something unique about this cars shape...even in California the rain destroy the car on all surfaces. The rear in particular. I also feel the factory clear coat is less thick and/or polished than what I’m used to in a new car. It takes a lot more effort to wash/scrub the dirt off with my washmits.

We have a Model 3 & a Model S.
I have invested many hours in research plus a bunch of trial & error to find the best products & procedures. Many suggestions from members on TMC.
All now boiled into one video that I posted on YouTube yesterday!
All product links for everything used on the video in the YouTube description. Please Subscribe. More on the way...

Tesla Car Wash !!!

I’m just soooo glad I got my 3D mats before this cold Chicago freeze we just had!
This salt would have been a pain to clean on the stock mats!!!
View attachment 373977

Have the Maxpider mats as well but not the salt here. How are they to clean with that on?

My white Model 3 can look dirty on the outside from daily use and it’s parked on our driveway. Lots of dirt in the air from valley living and construction in area adds to it. Have X-pel and ceramic coating and really cleans off pretty easily. I was worried a white car would look horribly dirty but have been very pleased to me it doesn’t. The inside gets some dirt tracked in on the mats but not bad. Kind of nice to live in an area without a lot of weather. Been pouring like crazy and very windy all last night and good part of this morning. Hope it washed off all the dirt on the car and blow dried it lol.

Bird and bee poop my car’s biggest issues, and bee poop actually worse because its tiny yellow spots all over.

Last edited: