Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This car needs a Sport mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, lack of a tuned Sport mode with relaxed nannies is a bummer on these cars. 95% of folks don't understand what we are talking about but it you own a sports/muscle car the all typically have options to not only fully disable the stability and traction control but settings in between. The ideal mode as mention in this thread is for Tesla to tune a Sport mode so that it relaxes the nannies, not disable them completely. This means you get some wheel spin when you want as well as some some slip angle before the stability control kicks in and straightens the car out. I had this on my prior Corvettes and Camaros, it enables to you have some fun without worrying about wrapping the car around a tree. I assume the open diff creates some challenges and may make it feel unnatural but it can be done with proper tuning.

Reactions: GtiMart
Yeah, lack of a tuned Sport mode with relaxed nannies is a bummer on these cars. 95% of folks don't understand what we are talking about but it you own a sports/muscle car the all typically have options to not only fully disable the stability and traction control but settings in between. The ideal mode as mention in this thread is for Tesla to tune a Sport mode so that it relaxes the nannies, not disable them completely. This means you get some wheel spin when you want as well as some some slip angle before the stability control kicks in and straightens the car out. I had this on my prior Corvettes and Camaros, it enables to you have some fun without worrying about wrapping the car around a tree. I assume the open diff creates some challenges and may make it feel unnatural but it can be done with proper tuning.

Track Mode does do this, and allows for a lot of adjustment, it's just annoying that it ALSO turns on the cooling system to 100%, disables the navigation, etc

Track Mode does do this, and allows for a lot of adjustment, it's just annoying that it ALSO turns on the cooling system to 100%, disables the navigation, etc
Exactly. Track Mode is wonderful. I think a lot of enthusiasts would enjoy a Sport Mode to relax the nannies a bit and liven up the chassis. Just looking to make the car a little more playful. I think once we start seeing sports coupes/sedans EV from other manufactures you will find this common place.

I see Ford has some drive modes in their EVs.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t be driving sideways if you need the nannies to keep you safe.
So are you for or against the nannies? I am all for nannies by default, I just want the option to relax them a bit if desired. There is a difference between full disable/dyno mode vs. a tuned amount of wheel spin and slip angle. This will make the car more playful but keep you out of trouble.

(moderator note: There were two threads on the exact same topic, as I am sure both @raptor5244 and @Dolemite know, with @Dolemite 's thread being the first one posted. I left them there, thinking that people would move to one or the other, but for some reason both were being posted in. I have merged these threads since they are the exact same discussion / feature request, etc)

I would like

-track mode
-drift mode
-dynamic weighted steering
- Tesla to stop trying to block companies getting more power out of them

or offer the tc and stability as a % selector in the front and rear. Anything from nanny state to coming in backwards hot, and everything in between

So are you for or against the nannies? I am all for nannies by default, I just want the option to relax them a bit if desired. There is a difference between full disable/dyno mode vs. a tuned amount of wheel spin and slip angle. This will make the car more playful but keep you out of trouble.
I want on and off, I don’t want this half ass control to allow people to do dumb stuff. Either learn to drive or don’t try it