Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This car needs a Sport mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we have Track Mode on the M3P but sometimes I wish we had a simple Sport mode setting that would relax the Traction Control and Stability Control a little bit so you could have a little fun. For example, on the Corvettes and Camaros I have driven it would let you spin the tires a little and let you get about 15 degree slip angle without having to fully disable those nannies.

I am thinking a Sport Mode in the M3P could shift the bias to the rear, relax TC a bit for some tire slip and let it the rear kick our a hair before stability control cuts power and straightens you out. Nothing too crazy where folks will be putting their cars in a ditch. No need to increase regen braking settings, overclock the compressor, etc. I don’t want to have to put it in Park, enable Track Mode and hear all the high pitch whining of Track Mode just to kick the rear end out on a back road.

Anyone else agree or do I just need to grow out the mullet and hop in the Camaro again? :)

Not a bad idea as I like the idea of being able to change on the fly but the stock settings are where I would have it for 90% of my street driving anyway.
For when I want something other than the 90% driving, track mode is pretty damn good, even considering we have to be stopped to engage. I have a "Spirited Street" preset where I have bias set to 75/25, assist at -5, and turned off compressor overclock. Yes, it still makes noise but I think that's a good thing for drivetrain longevity. If I had a choice between track mode as it is and sport mode where I couldn't "tune" the performance, I'd pick the tunable presets in track mode.

One option is the "Party Box" from MPP. It's $1000 though. And still requires a stop to flip on slip start.

Yep. I like that the aftermarket at least created something for it but I really feel like it is such a simple thing to add in a software update. I also think it would be welcome to the M3 owners that do not have have Track Mode. Track Mode should be that software that gives you the ability to fine tune your settings, record your lap times, telemetry, etc. Sport Mode would just relax some of the TC and SC a bit so you could upset the chassis a little bit without getting out of hand. Most sport cars have a mode like this. Some let you just disable the nannies, some have driving modes to relax the settings, etc. It is obviously not a critical feature but I do think it could inject a little more fun for those into responsible spirited driving. My M3P is just a point and shoot car and lacks some of the feel I get from other sporty cars.

Not a bad idea as I like the idea of being able to change on the fly but the stock settings are where I would have it for 90% of my street driving anyway.
For when I want something other than the 90% driving, track mode is pretty damn good, even considering we have to be stopped to engage. I have a "Spirited Street" preset where I have bias set to 75/25, assist at -5, and turned off compressor overclock. Yes, it still makes noise but I think that's a good thing for drivetrain longevity. If I had a choice between track mode as it is and sport mode where I couldn't "tune" the performance, I'd pick the tunable presets in track mode.
I hear ya. I do the same with my Track Mode settings. By the way, do they even relax TC in Track Mode? I can't even spin the tires. Now, before I get flamed I realize spinning the tires is not wise and is not the secret to fast lap times so what I am asking for may not make any sense to many people. I am looking for more of the "fun mode" for guys who come from the muscle/performance car crowd. I just grew up driving with rear wheel drive cars with no nannies and crappy tires. It was fun to take a turn a kick the tail out a little bit. The M3P is just planted like glue to the pavement, you just mash the pedal and hang on. :)

with the way the media covers anything "tesla" related, if such a mode existed, the first time someone lost control spinning the back out, national media would cover it as "Claims of model 3 being safe are untrue, see video for proof, please click here, like and subscribe".

Im only kidding a little bit, as well.

Yes yes yes, please, I want that. Not on the Performance mind you, on my AWD. I've had that on my previous WRX and it's blatantly lacking on my Model 3. The traction and stability control systems are so good the car is boring. That is a good thing for normal driving but there are cases where it limits too much. It's especially a bummer on snow where I'd like a little slide of the back from time to time. My WRX was great with that sport mode, it wouldn't let you spin the car but would leave more room for fun before it cut everything.

I hear ya. I do the same with my Track Mode settings. By the way, do they even relax TC in Track Mode? I can't even spin the tires. Now, before I get flamed I realize spinning the tires is not wise and is not the secret to fast lap times so what I am asking for may not make any sense to many people. I am looking for more of the "fun mode" for guys who come from the muscle/performance car crowd. I just grew up driving with rear wheel drive cars with no nannies and crappy tires. It was fun to take a turn a kick the tail out a little bit. The M3P is just planted like glue to the pavement, you just mash the pedal and hang on. :)
There used to be a secret code you could use to enable Dyno mode which would disable all of these things, but once the word got out Tesla removed that or changed the code via software update. This is why MPP developed the aftermarket kit. I did have a simple button in my 2012 Tesla Roadster to disable TC, and turning the ignition key twice to On put it into Sport Mode. With the newer cars though Elon seems to prefer upselling via Ludicrous mode with Model S/X, and available upgrades via purchase for non-performance models.

That said, when I take mine to the track or use track-mode in the alps mountain roads I turn off all regen, etc. Track mode will push the car to the limit of starting to slip but no more as I understand it. It's quite genius in the way it can do that with electrical torque and I always surprise my petrol head friends in their sports/supercars. And they know I was one of them for years... ;-)

Yeah, the thing is, I do NOT want to disable everything. On an EV with instant torque that is dangerous. Track mode lets you do that on a Performance model, and I think that's okay. For everyone else, on an SR+ or an AWD, the ask is for a Sport mode that just reduces the nannies. Tesla can look at many other automakers, like the Subaru WRX I reference, for inspiration.

Yeah, the thing is, I do NOT want to disable everything. On an EV with instant torque that is dangerous. Track mode lets you do that on a Performance model, and I think that's okay. For everyone else, on an SR+ or an AWD, the ask is for a Sport mode that just reduces the nannies. Tesla can look at many other automakers, like the Subaru WRX I reference, for inspiration.
Exactly. It is not something that is on by default and it doesn't completely disable the nannies. Many cars enable fine tuning of these nannies. On Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Chargers/Challengers, heck even my Miata has the ability to relax or disable these settings. Some manufactures let you disable traction control but leave Stability Control on so you can spin the tires but still leverage the yaw sensor so you don't spin out. I realize out Tesla EVs have instant torque which could be a recipe for disaster in the wrong hands but the same could be said for 800-1000hp Camaros, Mustangs, Hellcats, etc. I just wish they gave us the option.

Exactly. It is not something that is on by default and it doesn't completely disable the nannies. Many cars enable fine tuning of these nannies. On Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Chargers/Challengers, heck even my Miata has the ability to relax or disable these settings. Some manufactures let you disable traction control but leave Stability Control on so you can spin the tires but still leverage the yaw sensor so you don't spin out. I realize out Tesla EVs have instant torque which could be a recipe for disaster in the wrong hands but the same could be said for 800-1000hp Camaros, Mustangs, Hellcats, etc. I just wish they gave us the option.
The bmw I just picked up has the same. Press the button once and it turns off traction control. Hold it for 5 seconds and it also kills stability control which is pretty ridiculous as the rear end likes to come around to the front when the turbo spools lol.

Reactions: raptor5244
Track mode with +10 stability control already does it for you. I think if you need to turn that mode while driving and on gps - you shouldn't have such an ability, so I support Tesla doing as it is now - daily and track mode only. Enough of sport mode street drifters around already.

The bmw I just picked up has the same. Press the button once and it turns off traction control. Hold it for 5 seconds and it also kills stability control which is pretty ridiculous as the rear end likes to come around to the front when the turbo spools lol.
Yep. Again I am not condoning everyone should turn off Stability Control although it would be nice to have the option. I am really after a Sport Mode where Tesla tunes the Stability and Traction Control in such a way so that you can spin the tires and get about 10-15 degrees of slip angle before cutting power. If you have very controlled slip and a low rate then the stability system lets you get some spin and slip angle without cutting power but if you were to get out of hand like punching it and crank the steering wheel in the wet or snow it would just cut power and use the brakes independently on all 4 corners to straighten it the car out. Those who have driven these types of cars know what I mean. It lets you have some fun but keeps you and everyone else out of trouble. Hopefully, someday we will get an OTA update with a Sport Mode in programmed in since many driving enthusiasts would really enjoy it.

Reactions: Sam1 and GtiMart
Yep. Again I am not condoning everyone should turn off Stability Control although it would be nice to have the option. I am really after a Sport Mode where Tesla tunes the Stability and Traction Control in such a way so that you can spin the tires and get about 10-15 degrees of slip angle before cutting power. If you have very controlled slip and a low rate then the stability system lets you get some spin and slip angle without cutting power but if you were to get out of hand like punching it and crank the steering wheel in the wet or snow it would just cut power and use the brakes independently on all 4 corners to straighten it the car out. Those who have driven these types of cars know what I mean. It lets you have some fun but keeps you and everyone else out of trouble. Hopefully, someday we will get an OTA update with a Sport Mode in programmed in since many driving enthusiasts would really enjoy it.
I don't think it would be much of an issue with these cars as long as the power distribution was was somewhat still shared between the front and rear axles. On these higher power rwd cars, it is obviously an issue... or well, people don't think it's a problem until they're stars on a burnout fail video on youtube.

One option is the "Party Box" from MPP. It's $1000 though. And still requires a stop to flip on slip start.

Its not the only option, the Boost 50 SR+ and Boost 150 LR AWD from Ingenext has a "drift" mode that kills the TC. Its 1200 or 1300 CAD, but has more stuff, rear seat heat bypass for those that are locked, door pop, trunk and frunk pop ambient lighting and 50 or 150 hp increase.

Supposedly it drops the 0-60 by .6 in the sr and the lr awd will beat a P in a drag.