TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

This Charger can't possibly work can it??

Discussion in 'North America' started by Sasmania, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I'm getting my second Tesla, so need to get a real charging solution vs using the mobile connector and unplugging it every time as I'm in a public garage.

Most of the new chargers are $500 or so including the Tesla one.

I found this on Ebay... for only $169. There is no inverter box or whatever the usual bulky thing is that comes with all the other power cords. So, I'm assuming this will NOT work, correct?

[​IMG]

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

That's just the J1772 charge cable without any electronics. It will not work on its own.

Actually, the Tesla HPWCs are a great deal. I would recommend installing 2 of them so you don't have to deal with switching the plugs around. Or you can just install one and continue using the mobile connector. But since you are in a public garage, Im not sure if they would allow you to install anything.

Since you will get another Tesla, it too will come with its own mobile connector. I don't really know what you are trying to solve.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

Thx for the reply, I have two side by side parking spots, will have an S and X, and have one 14-50 plug that's free so no complaints there. However, it's a pain unplugging both ends each time so I can keep the mobile plug in the car and more importantly prevent it from walking off.

So, ideally, I install a permanent solution that allows me to not have to deal with the mobile chargers and just leave those in the cars. 2 is an even better idea, but especially since it's an apartment and not a permanent residence, I'd like to find the most cost effective solution in case I'm only here a year...

4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

A wall connector with the 24 foot cord sounds like a great option. The wall connector can be installed on circuits from 15 amps up to 100 amps, so there is tons of flexibility. You can take the 14-50 outlet off, and mount the wall connector onto that circuit if you can have some kind of flat surface or post to mount the wall connector on. I guess another option would be if you can mount a small-ish box with a door that can be opened and closed and locked. That could keep the UMC secure when you're not using it.

5. kort677

kort677 Banned

if you are constantly unplugging your umc you should consider buying another one for the car or installing a permanent tesla wall charger.

• Like x 1
  6. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I ended up getting a JuiceBox 40amp charger with a 24' cord for $380 on Ebay. Refurbished, but the Tesla will never know and I'm hoping won't be offended.

Thanks for the help!