Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This doesn't make sense [complaint about inability to keep HW2.5 computer on upgrade]

Who owns the car's computer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased FSD and am getting the "complementary" hardware upgrade.
I asked to keep the old computer, (I like stuff like that) and was told that the old computer is the property of Tesla and would be shipped back. WTF? I bought the car and presumably all the hardware inside it.

Can someone explain how this makes sense?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Email rich builds he probably has a few he can sell you, now remember that Tesla maintains and updates your computer, what other company does that? Also there’s lots of pictures of the computer module online you can download and make a poster of it for the garage.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
Email rich builds he probably has a few he can sell you, now remember that Tesla maintains and updates your computer, what other company does that? Also there’s lots of pictures of the computer module online you can download and make a poster of it for the garage.
Well, seems to me that, Microsoft is always sending me updates, I use Linux a lot and everything is always updated, and I just paid 16K for FSD so to me that should include updates as well as the hardware needed to run them. I don't really want a picture, and that's beside the point. The only thing that makes sense to me, is instead of saying it's a complimentary upgrade, saying it's an upgrade that can be paid for by the price of the old computer. But that isn't what is said. They say it's complimentary. Nothing in my purchase agreement says that part of the car is still Tesla's.

Reactions: DDHEverything
It's common when you have something replaced that they keep the old item. With my Jag, they had an amazing warranty that covered everything, including damage to trim items that most treat as wear items not covered under warranty, but they always kept the old parts as part of any warranty work. The upgrade to FSD with a new computer didn't cost you any more than FSD for the people that didn't need a new computer, so it's like a warranty replacement. If you had paid for the new computer separately, maybe you'd have a slight argument, but then again, the core charge could come into play and blow up that argument since Tesla could say the new computer would cost even more if you wanted to keep your old computer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
From the service department after asking for link to documentation, "Tesla owns the intellectual properties if(sic) the computer coming out of your vehicle. You will own the final result of what you paid for, not the interim computer system. What you chose to do with your vehicle at that time will be your choice."

Interesting. So the computer is interim. I wonder if the new hardware version 4, makes the hardware version 3 interim.

Well, seems to me that, Microsoft is always sending me updates, I use Linux a lot and everything is always updated, and I just paid 16K for FSD so to me that should include updates as well as the hardware needed to run them. I don't really want a picture, and that's beside the point. The only thing that makes sense to me, is instead of saying it's a complimentary upgrade, saying it's an upgrade that can be paid for by the price of the old computer. But that isn't what is said. They say it's complimentary. Nothing in my purchase agreement says that part of the car is still Tesla's.
Well Tesla offered to replace your old computer with a new one and part of that deal is they get to take beck the old one. Doesnt sound so terrible to me. If you want to decline the upgrade i guess thats up to you.

Reactions: jbadger and Apone
So apparently the agreement that I signed in order to get the upgrade does mention it. (I haven't seen the agreement since I digitally signed it with the Tesla app and can't figure out how to get it back to check).
But in anycase. I don't have a problem with this. If I agreed that the old computer was part of the complimentary upgrade then it's not a problem. It looks like they don't own the computer, just the IP on it, (no problem with that). And the condition of the upgrade is the sale of the old computer. So not a problem. I was concerned with the language that "Tesla owns the computer", which after paying so much for the car and the FSD upgrade was worrying.

I know that the computer hardware v2 was created by Nvidia which means it uses CUDA to program that AI stuff. (something that I'm interested in). I probably couldn't figure out the interface anyways, but it would have been fun to play with. You know this stuff is just going to be scrapped anyways, and I hate waste.

I asked to keep the old computer, (I like stuff like that) and was told that the old computer is the property of Tesla and would be shipped back. WTF? I bought the car and presumably all the hardware inside it.

This is a gray area because they are upgrading your computer so in a sense they have baked keeping it into the FSD price similar to a core charge. Tesla cant come to your house and take the computer any more than they can take the car itself. They sold it to you so it is yours but in order to upgrade I'm not sure they will make a deal to sell you your original at the same time.

As others explained, like many high value car parts, there is usually a core charge that covers taking back the old part. Not sure if the computer is part of it, but I remember in other threads there are old Tesla parts owner can choose to keep if they pay an extra core charge. The reason is because the upgrade price they are charging is only the differential between the two costs (not the same as if you were to buy a whole new computer).

Also in your case, you purchased FSD, which is a fully software option. For example, if I were to buy it, I would have to pay $10k and I get nothing (no hardware upgrade) due to my car already having HW3. They are only upgrading the hardware for free for you as part of FSD due to you having older hardware, so you have even less reason to request the old computer back.