Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

this forum making hold out for a better tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the "waiting" mechanism for a Tesla. If you can afford the car now, get it now. When a better one comes out, get it then. Life is too short to wait, regardless of age. If you are waiting to be able to afford the car, have a house with a charging spot, or some other totally responsible and rational reason, then that's just being smart.

If we did the "waiting" mechanism on a lot of things thought just because something may get better, we would still be using a Blackberry phone, listening to music on a yellow Sony Walkman, or hanging on to the same job hoping the boss/department/company will get incrementally better over time.

I agree, don't wait-- live.

To the OP, if you're going to be disappointed when an improvement comes out after you've bought the car, then that will happen no matter when you buy it. If you like it and it meets your needs, I suggest you go for it and not be concerned that something better might come along-- because the one thing you can be sure of is something better will come along no matter how long you wait. Think of this as a computer, iPad, or other tech product, if you're always waiting for the next faster one or thinner one you'll never have one to use. Mine doesn't even have parking sensors, much less autopilot hardware, but had I waited I would have missed out on many months of enjoyment driving the car for the past two years.

On the other hand, since your plan was to do most of your charging at a local supercharger because it was "convenient", even though you could charge overnight in your garage, maybe you won't be missed if you decide not to buy a Tesla.

+1 on this... both paragraphs worth

To the OP, if you're going to be disappointed when an improvement comes out after you've bought the car, then that will happen no matter when you buy it. If you like it and it meets your needs, I suggest you go for it and not be concerned that something better might come along-- because the one thing you can be sure of is something better will come along no matter how long you wait. Think of this as a computer, iPad, or other tech product, if you're always waiting for the next faster one or thinner one you'll never have one to use. Mine doesn't even have parking sensors, much less autopilot hardware, but had I waited I would have missed out on many months of enjoyment driving the car for the past two years.

On the other hand, since your plan was to do most of your charging at a local supercharger because it was "convenient", even though you could charge overnight in your garage, maybe you won't be missed if you decide not to buy a Tesla.

To the OP,…since your plan was to do most of your charging at a local supercharger because it was "convenient", even though you could charge overnight in your garage, maybe you won't be missed if you decide not to buy a Tesla.

I'm confused. I looked back at the OP's posts here and found nothing about charging at the local super charger. Is this from some other thread?

I have a December 2012 model S. My wife says I can upgrade to the latest and greatest anytime I want. I had a just off the line loaner recently with all the bells and whistles. The mirrors folded and it made a "bong" sound when close to an obstacle. I enjoy learning about all these improvements. These features are nice, but not worth getting upset about missing. Basically the car is the same. It looks the same on the outside and has the same battery technology. The only significant improvement is dual motors which reduces frunk space. Like many have said there is no time like now to buy a model S. I think the focus will be on the model X for the next year or two.

I have a December 2012 model S. My wife says I can upgrade to the latest and greatest anytime I want. I had a just off the line loaner recently with all the bells and whistles. The mirrors folded and it made a "bong" sound when close to an obstacle. I enjoy learning about all these improvements. These features are nice, but not worth getting upset about missing. Basically the car is the same. It looks the same on the outside and has the same battery technology. The only significant improvement is dual motors which reduces frunk space. Like many have said there is no time like now to buy a model S. I think the focus will be on the model X for the next year or two.

I agree 100%. I don't have autopilot hardware, TACC, folding mirrors, parking sensors and next gen seats. I had a service loaner that had all of that, but the seats and I sat in the seats in a car at the Tesla store. All nice stuff, but the only one that might mean something to me that is significant is the next gen. None of it is worth swapping my car for now. I figure I have at least 4-5 years with this one before doing anything else. No regrets at all.

Posted at 11:53 a.m.

I'm open to ideas, but I'll stay out of tit for tat on this thread to keep it on topic.

Posted 14 minutes later at 12:07 p.m.

Sorry but you missed my point. I didn't call anyone a fanboy for expressing an opinion positive to tesla. I called a fanboy is someone who defends anything negative about Tesla, whether justified or not...That would be a blind fanboy in my eyes. And generally they are harmful to the community... Ok anyway, best to keep this thread on topic...

Too bad you don't keep your word.

With regard to your "fanboy" comment directed at me, if you read many of my posts here you will see that I have been very critical of Tesla, where appropriate. At the same, I stay away from name calling if someone disagrees with me since ad hominem attacks are one of the lowest forms of argument. Your passive aggressive and ad homimen style of commenting makes me thankful for the "ignore" feature here. Unlike you, this really is my last tit for tat on this thread since I keep my word.

Wow first off, i thought everyone agreed what i plan to do is not abuse. Please read some of the later comments from people who orginially thought it was abuse. Thwy are converts. I am not trying to bring that thread here, but i have seen people on sunday mornings who charge there and i have seen the same car over and over. However i have nothing against it because hardly anyone is there. There was 10 stalls and 3 were used. Abuse? Surely some of you here will call it that way. Me, nah that is optimizing resources IMO.

Now back to the original comment on this thread:

As i said earlier, it looks like for some it makes sense to wait for others not. I can definitely afford one right now, but i am waiting to see what the model x will introduce to the model s. We all know tesla will make some upgrades to the current one and i dont want to be caught off guard like the last awd upgrade or price changes the model x or other car companies might introduce. And to address those comments on buying a new one when the new one comes out. My answer to that is not everyone is made of money. It is hard enough to make the one tesla financially sound. Getting 2? Or even trading one for a new one is definitely no finacially sound even if i had the money. It is much better to invest that one on something else. So NO i wont be buying another tesla if i get one right now. Heck it much better to just invest in tsla stock than trading old tesla for a new one.

Look i have my reasons for waiting. I would prefer to not say the details for now. For others, i say they cant. Still my recommendations would stay the same. Waiting for those who can hold out while others cant wait should go for it.

As for those comments on living, i am sure i can put that on pause. As much as i would like to drive this everywhere, my current situtation will probably mean i cant take that much time off to go vacationing all the time in the tesla. Hence all the more reason to wait.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I don't have autopilot hardware, TACC, folding mirrors, parking sensors and next gen seats. I had a service loaner that had all of that, but the seats and I sat in the seats in a car at the Tesla store. All nice stuff, but the only one that might mean something to me that is significant is the next gen. None of it is worth swapping my car for now. I figure I have at least 4-5 years with this one before doing anything else. No regrets at all.

My MS is new, so it has all the toys/bells/whistles. Albeit I haven't spent enough time with it yet, but so far, it almost feels like too much!
TACC is supernice on the freeway. But when driving inside the city, you do have a little bit of a sensory overload.

You have -
- Speed limit warning.
- Cruise, Cruise with follow, Cruise with hold, Cruise on a windy road that may not work.
- 8 different ways to set cruise speed.
- Blind spot warning.
- Parking sensor warning.

Still, I am anxiously waiting for 7.0. I think a revamped UI like this would be a huge improvement.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/gty_tesla_new_model_03_jc_141010_4x3_992.jpg

The two immediate improvements I see in the above UI are,
- De-emphasize the speed limit by removing it from center, but keeping it more visible all the time (instead of a line on the speedometer)
- Increase the visibility of the blindspot warning by replacing the gray line (I almost never notice it), with an image of an actual car.

I want the functions, but the dated UI isn't keeping up with all the tech that is packed in the car.
A newer better designed UI would be a huge improvement. Just a few more Tesla months, and we should have it :).

This forum almost made me throw in the towel and forfeit my deposit, however I'm extremely glad I didn't.

What I've since realized is that this forum is full of engineers who tend to worry and stress about things that I wouldn't care about at all (and vice versa probably). Anyway, take it from me - once you quit reading the complaints here and get behind the wheel, it's very refreshing. Because of the inherent negativity that I've experienced, I try to get on TMC once or twice a week now instead of daily.

The real blindspot "warning" beeps at you (I think it's red too, not grey), just like forward collision warning. Ask me how I know? :p

I think I know :) .. okay good to know there is a real blindspot warning.

BTW, I accidentally discovered another feature last night. When setting cruise, if you hold the stalk down for 0.5 seconds, it sets the cruise to speed limit + your tolerance margin, automatically.

Also +1 on what Junesong said above, the car is fabulous. I'm glad I didn't get cold feet and backed out. I love my blootiful! :)

I think I know :) .. okay good to know there is a real blindspot warning.

The side blind spot warning, I haven't had an extensive test yet. It went off twice, once was a false alarm (no one there at all), once I wasn't changing lanes (just starting to press the line) and there was a car there. Reminded me to go back to the center of my lane, heh.

Forward collision warning is accurate and pretty smart. If I'm approaching a car but reneging it doesn't go off. If I'm approaching a car and maintaining speed, it goes off.

BTW, I accidentally discovered another feature last night. When setting cruise, if you hold the stalk down for 0.5 seconds, it sets the cruise to speed limit + your tolerance margin, automatically.

DS told me that. I think the way it works is if you're out of CC, you pull it for 0.5 second once it'll hit the speed limit, hit it again it'll hit your current speed I think.

This forum almost made me throw in the towel and forfeit my deposit, however I'm extremely glad I didn't.

What I've since realized is that this forum is full of engineers who tend to worry and stress about things that I wouldn't care about at all (and vice versa probably). Anyway, take it from me - once you quit reading the complaints here and get behind the wheel, it's very refreshing. Because of the inherent negativity that I've experienced, I try to get on TMC once or twice a week now instead of daily.

What I've realized since I got my 70D a little over a month ago is that I'm probably too laid back to be on the forum. I guess I'm supposed to be mad that I shouldn't use the two superchargers 20 miles away from my house. I assume I should be upset I don't have lane-keeping assist activated yet. I probably should be angry that, had I waited two weeks, I could have gotten LTE in my car instead of 3G. But I'm not, even though reading this forum I realize that I really, really should be.

I essentially now just use the forum when I want to check on updates of the southeast Supercharger network and to read the Tesla Moments and Sightings thread, and any other fluff threads. I figure I'm just too laid back for any of the other threads and just don't take my car as seriously as I probably should. I'm glad I didn't decide to get another ICE vehicle after reading a lot of stuff on the forum, because ultimately the complaints just didn't affect me personally.

What I've realized since I got my 70D a little over a month ago is that I'm probably too laid back to be on the forum. I guess I'm supposed to be mad that I shouldn't use the two superchargers 20 miles away from my house. I assume I should be upset I don't have lane-keeping assist activated yet. I probably should be angry that, had I waited two weeks, I could have gotten LTE in my car instead of 3G. But I'm not, even though reading this forum I realize that I really, really should be.

I essentially now just use the forum when I want to check on updates of the southeast Supercharger network and to read the Tesla Moments and Sightings thread, and any other fluff threads. I figure I'm just too laid back for any of the other threads and just don't take my car as seriously as I probably should. I'm glad I didn't decide to get another ICE vehicle after reading a lot of stuff on the forum, because ultimately the complaints just didn't affect me personally.

You're looking at this correctly.

There is a very vocal minority here that get's quite upset about small things. This is no different than it is if you go to other tech forums, car forums, etc... It just seems to be the way.

Most of us are still incredibly happy with our vehicles, are thrilled that the tech has come so far and so fast, and that the car even exists. I still smile every time I get into it. Is it perfect? No. Is the company perfect? No. Is Elon Musk perfect? No. They are certainly guilty of being over-optimistic on when they can deliver on their promises and sometimes they promise a bit more more than they can deliver. But I think most of us just enjoy the vehicle, realize that we're a small part of a fast roller coast ride of leading edge product development and that despite best efforts, things won't always go to plan.

If we want a perfectly executed (but boring) car we'd probably be better suited for a Camry!