Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This guy did not enjoy the X event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
t’s bad enough that your event producers couldn’t actually produce an event — the so-called Model X Launch Event. Starting a 7:00pm event at 8:50pm is simply unacceptable, particularly when the invited guests are actually your customers! But for you to stand up at 8:52pm and not even acknowledge that you have wasted your own customers’ time was insensitive and poor judgement.
https://medium.com/@salsop/dear-elonmusk-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself-ca3d266882a4

Media picked it up: http://fortune.com/2015/10/01/tesla-customer-compares-elon-musk-to-axl-rose/

Yes, event was to start at 8:00pm per Elon's tweet. I believe that the start was delayed, as for a few other events before, because Elon took his time answering questions from the press during the QA prior to event.

Yes, event was to start at 8:00pm per Elon's tweet. I believe that the start was delayed, as for a few other events before, because Elon took his time answering questions from the press during the QA prior to event.

I saw a comment (somewhere) that the press had just been brought in. Once that happened, the event started soon after. So yes, it appeared the majority of the delay was press related.

My problem is that I really want an electric SUV and although I agree that the reveal was poorly done at this time there is no other manufacture of electric cars like Tesla. If I look at all the positives about this company and its cars and mission I do not want anything else. If I can swing it I will buy the Model X, I still need to see it and drive it, I'm not going to make a decision based on a PR event. I believe this reveal was all about the end of Q3 and I also do not think the car is ready at this point. Hope by the time my number comes up it will be ready and when I see it a few months down the road I will make that decision.

A venture capital investor got locked up in a room with about 1,500 potential customers (yes, I'm all about stereotypes) for an hour and a half. Instead of capitalizing (pun intended) on his fortunate circumstance he gets pissed. Time to quit your day job dude, how's your singing voice?

While not the best launch event I ever went to, the invite noted an 8pm start, so Elon was not 2 hours late, and that late in the evening, folks should not be expecting to get fed as its well past dinner time.
Except they asked you to get there as early as 6pm and everyone knows at that time of the day it can take hours to get from one end of the bay area to the other. So exactly when did you think they were going to eat?

And lets night even go there with only alcohol on board with no food.

Tesla events have been getting worse and worse. 2 years ago for the battery swap event, Elon mingled in the small audience before the event. Last year for the D event, much bigger audience, started late, had to be expert scavenger to get food. The Powerwall and X events had huge audiences, started late (just accept, it, all Tesla events are going to start late), and didn't provide anywhere near the info people were looking for.

At this rate, the next presentation will feature water cannon hosing down the unruly audience 2 hours after the supposed start.

Tesla events have been getting worse and worse. 2 years ago for the battery swap event, Elon mingled in the small audience before the event. Last year for the D event, much bigger audience, started late, had to be expert scavenger to get food. The Powerwall and X events had huge audiences, started late (just accept, it, all Tesla events are going to start late), and didn't provide anywhere near the info people were looking for.

At this rate, the next presentation will feature water cannon hosing down the unruly audience 2 hours after the supposed start.

I'm hopeful that someone at Tesla will take note.

The event invites should specify what food and drink will be available. If I ever attend a future launch event I'm going to eat dinner beforehand, pack an energy bar, and have a flask of liquor in my jacket.

They definitely had too many people jammed into the X event. Couldn't see anything. It was a waste of my time. The D event was smaller with better food and I actually got to take a test ride.
It would have been much better if they had invited fewer people. I may not have received an invite then, but that would be fine since I got very little out of the X event. This is my last Tesla event.

They definitely had too many people jammed into the X event. Couldn't see anything. It was a waste of my time. The D event was smaller with better food and I actually got to take a test ride.
It would have been much better if they had invited fewer people. I may not have received an invite then, but that would be fine since I got very little out of the X event. This is my last Tesla event.

Yeah, the X event looked miserable for attendees. The D event was bad enough and convinced me to make it my last.

Except they asked you to get there as early as 6pm and everyone knows at that time of the day it can take hours to get from one end of the bay area to the other. So exactly when did you think they were going to eat?

And lets night even go there with only alcohol on board with no food.

Not really. The invite said doors open at 7 and try and to please arrive by 7:30. The shuttles from the satellite parking started at 6pm. If folks cannot figure out how to feed themselves or when they should stop drinking, then that would point to more fundamental challenges.

Elon being late to his own event was an insult to the people who have been waiting up to 3 yrs since their deposit. Arrogance and poor form. I admire what he is doing and hopefully he is learning from this type of feedback.

Dude. It's not like he was waiting in a closet next door just to show up for a grand late entrance. The guy is putting his money, time, family, life on the line for the purpose of 'doing good things'. He's busy. I really don't see it as being arrogant. A little poor form not apologizing quickly at the beginning, yes. But it seems to me that the people complaining bitterly are a little caught up with first world problems. No insult intended - seriously. Just a request to chill a bit.

Says I, who likely would never be someone who gets an invite to a Tesla event anyway, and even more likely wouldn't go anyway (a lot because of my perceived cost/benefit analysis of attending vs watching it on YouTube).

Elon being late to his own event was an insult to the people who have been waiting up to 3 yrs since their deposit. Arrogance and poor form. I admire what he is doing and hopefully he is learning from this type of feedback.
I remember reading that that he had a press meeting before the unveiling and Elon stayed a bit longer to answer more questions, which was why he was late.

Dude. It's not like he was waiting in a closet next door just to show up for a grand late entrance. The guy is putting his money, time, family, life on the line for the purpose of 'doing good things'. He's busy. I really don't see it as being arrogant. A little poor form not apologizing quickly at the beginning, yes. But it seems to me that the people complaining bitterly are a little caught up with first world problems. No insult intended - seriously. Just a request to chill a bit.

Says I, who likely would never be someone who gets an invite to a Tesla event anyway, and even more likely wouldn't go anyway (a lot because of my perceived cost/benefit analysis of attending vs watching it on YouTube).

I actually was not complaining and I'm surprised my comment sounded like a rant to you. No need for me to chill because I don't get upset at this stuff. I was only giving my opinion. I appreciate you calling me dude but I'm not a kid. In business, perception is reality and although he may have had a good reason for being late, only an emergency would have been a good reason. No apology to his guests was arrogant and in poor form in my opinion. That's all I was trying to say. If I was as upset as you thought, I would have cancelled my S order. I think this guys a genius and will change the world.