TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

This horse is dead, but.....

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pcons, Oct 18, 2019.

1. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

...I wish the model 3 had a heated steering wheel :(

• Like x 4
    • Love x 3
  2. Can37

Can37 Member

A heat pump and heated front windshield are higher on my list...

• Like x 3
  3. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Push the front defrost button twice so ti turns red. The blue mode is air flow only.
    (or is the heat mode also not working for you?)

4. glide

glide Active Member

Heating the front windshield and a heated front windshield are two different things.

• Helpful x 2
  5. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Gotcha, direct conduction (ITO or similar) vs convection.
    Thanks!
    :)

6. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

I hear ya. I’m not sure why they do this. Strategic model positioning is the only thing that comes to mind. Quite frankly it was one of the (smaller) reasons we ordered a 2020 Eplus SL Leaf. It wasn’t or wouldn’t be a showstopper though. Hope the model Y has one.

• Like x 1
  7. svp6

svp6 Member

Agree/ Would add to the list better interior lighting. I changed for Abstract Ocean to have some form of light inside. The lights on the steering wheel are pathetic though. Might as well not put them on at all.

8. Kabillyhop

Kabillyhop Member

I just discovered yesterday that it doesn't. Never thought about it when I bought the car, as every vehicle I've bought since 2013 has it. Disappointing.

9. corlaandstan

corlaandstan Member

Maybe we can hope for a retrofit if there is one on the Y. Would be awesome! How do we encourage Elon?

10. Webeevdrivers

Not sure. When we were still deciding between the Leaf Eplus and the model 3 we were concerned about the lack of a Chademo converter for the model 3. It wasn’t a deal breaker for us but we felt it was important given the abundance of Chademo where we live and limited Tesla Superchargers. We wrote polite emails and even opened a twitter account to encourage Tesla to make it happen. I’m sure our contribution had little effect but I’m glad to see it is now available even though we chose the 2020 Leaf Eplus. Now that the model Y may be in our future we’ll probably do the same thing and send off some polite emails and teeets. Here’s hoping. :).

• Informative x 1
  11. malou

malou Member

Compared to normal cars, the 3 does have the ability to point the heat coming from the vents directly to your hands :D

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. Webeevdrivers

I think it’s better than most cars but certainly our present car has pointable vents. It would still take longer than 3 minutes which is how long a heated steering wheel.

I would not NOT buy a Tesla model 3 just because it didn’t have a heated steering wheel. It is a fantastic car. But it is another detail where it is lacking in comparison to some of its competition.

• Disagree x 1
  13. puzz1ed

puzz1ed Member

Preheating the car remotely pretty much negates this. Great for loosening ice/snow as well if you've been parked outside all day.

• Like x 1
  14. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Even with pre-heating the car, in my mind, that is still no substitute for a heated steering wheel. It is heavenly.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  15. Webeevdrivers

Truedat.

16. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

My last car was a Range Rover Evoque. Size wise it was great and super functional but it had the worst turbo lag of any car I have ever been in. Rock solid on the highway but in the city you would press the accelerator and no joke, count 1,2,3 before you could move. (It was turbo lag combined with a horrible transmission programmed for fuel economy with terrible shift points).
    Anyways, it had a heated steering wheel and an actual heated front windshield. Far and away my 2 favourite features in the winter.

17. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

[​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 1
  18. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I want to see you with THIS one on your car first! Pictures are necessary.

Seriously, no heated steering wheel? Another oversight by a California company. Musk should remember what it was like when he grew up in Canada. Perhaps it's time for him to spend some time north of the border (between December and March).

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

It took a couple of years before the S and X got heated steering wheels. I believe this is due to getting early production up to speed rather than a design oversight. (Note: Every S and X made could be upgraded to heated steering wheels as a retrofit, last price I saw was $150).

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

You are giving me hope....don't give me hope :oops:

I'd pay 150 in a heartbeat for a heated steering wheel, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Like x 3