Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is a first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back home from charging my car at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger.

About 1 hour or so after I got there, a family in a brand new MS pulled in an empty station and parked there without charging. They then left the car there to go shopping or movie watching or eating dinner.

I was done charging about 2 hours later, the whole supercharger was full, and they’re still not back yet.
Not sure if this is a new owner or a salesman who took a customer’s car out for an outing with his family.

Attachments

• A54B1FA7-3602-4BF1-92F5-30162DE2D9FA.jpeg
    A54B1FA7-3602-4BF1-92F5-30162DE2D9FA.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 206
  • A742418A-21F9-456C-8484-6BD45ACF62F4.jpeg
    A742418A-21F9-456C-8484-6BD45ACF62F4.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 166
Uh... don’t you need temporary tags in California? So it has to be being used as a dealer car, no?

And I guess there’s no answer to someone that parks without plugging in since the Supercharger system has no clue you exist. Besides staking it out and confronting him, not perhaps recommended, what solutions are there.

(And a pull in stall! Unless all are pull in, hate to see one taken when not needed. Saw this at Fredricksburg last weekend by a car from Alaska when all others were empty. :D)

About 1 hour or so after I got there, a family in a brand new MS pulled in an empty station and parked there without charging. They then left the car there to go shopping or movie watching or eating dinner.

I was done charging about 2 hours later, the whole supercharger was full, and they’re still not back yet.
Not sure if this is a new owner or a salesman who took a customer’s car out for an outing with his family.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
-Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice.
-Heinlein's razor

When they came back and found out the car hadn't charged they:
  1. Realized no one had plugged it in
  2. Realized superchargers aren't wireless/ automatic
  3. Went on TMC and complained about someone unplugging them
  4. Went on TMC and complained that superchargers aren't wireless/ automatic
  5. Went on TMC and complained about vampire load. "Had car on charger for 2 hours and SOC still went down"
  6. Went on TMC, saw their car posted and asked how to delete their user account
Not a poll....
;)
P.S. This calls for the remote doodle feature, shows up the next time the car is occupied (what could go wrong?)

(a) Keep a pad and pen in the car, so you can leave a friendly note explaining that these are Tesla charging space, not Tesla Parking spaces, and that they preventing others from charging.

(b) You were at the supercharger for an hour when they showed up, then another 2 hours longer? Methinks you might be part of the problem as well (it doesn't take 3 hours to charge)?

Reactions: Don TLR
(a) Keep a pad and pen in the car, so you can leave a friendly note explaining that these are Tesla charging space, not Tesla Parking spaces, and that they preventing others from charging.

(b) You were at the supercharger for an hour when they showed up, then another 2 hours longer? Methinks you might be part of the problem as well (it doesn't take 3 hours to charge)?

A) Agreed.

B) Unless you’re in my shoes, don’t assume anything. It was actually that long to charge my car.
I had no idea why it’s that long. Usually, it’s 2 hours max.

Even at times when I had to charge to 100% at a supercharger, it never took longer than 80 minutes. Something is definitely wrong. But why would you wait around to charge all the way to 100% in Rancho Cucamonga if you live in Rancho Cucamonga?

Have you contacted service? Something is likely wrong with your car if it takes that long to supercharge, even if you are going all the way to 100%.
No, not necessarily. Have you seen Bjorn Nyland's video of charging an 85kWh all the way up? At full unpaired charging rate it was 1 hour and 50 minutes. This person said it was a full station, so if someone were unlucky and paired running at 30-40kW or so for much of the time, it could extend that time out a good bit.

My worthless opinion: There are very few people who are unable to arrange charging at home. But they exist.

There are many people who charge at a SC because it "saves them money". There are a few who actually think charging spots are OK for parking. There will be a LOT of new owners in the coming months who will know nothing about charging or Supercharger etiquette.

A note to help educate newbies would probably be the best solution. They probably didn't even know. If they did know, it doesn't hurt to tell them it's not polite. I have written notes, and included my phone number in case they think it's a hate note.

Agreed. Charging education: true at SuC as for any public chargers. A customer of mine has put chargers in several of their parkings, even on the one for the contractors. Very nice gesture. Daily, two plugin hybrid park there... unplugged. The spots are marked by signs telling they are reserved for charging, not parking EVs.
Education or awarness ...

Luckily it was a pull in stall so anyone could have pulled up behind him close to the charger and plugged in blocking his car and part of the isle!

How do I know this you might ask, well it’s because I have done this before on a road trip when a Mercedes was parked at a pull in stall:cool:
Since it was a pull in spot, you're right that someone could have pulled in behind them. Otherwise, I would have plugged the car in for them, and let them rack up idle fees!

May be they parked in a test version of one of the new 900 kW wireless Supercharger Generation 3 spots, and forgot that they will get a full charge in just a few minutes? :cool:

That Supercharger in Rancho Cucamonga is right next to a very nice open air mall and just across the street from a massive Bass Pro Shops mega store. Great location to plug in your car and wander around while it is charging. It can sometimes be pretty busy, so taking up a stall when you are not charging is major bad Karma.

On another note, I know ACA Man. He handles super high quality home stereo speakers and amps at remarkable prices. Super well respected in the home audio community. Would be worth your while to PM him if you have any home audio questions or interests.