Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is a first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm afraid I must confess that I am among those who have left their car unpluged in a supercharger spot. Not because I wanted a parking spot, because something interrupted my routine and I forgot to plug in! Fortunately it was only a few minutes when my wife asked how much time it would take for us to charge this time. I pulled out my phone and found out a bit longer than I thought!

I'm afraid I must confess that I am among those who have left their car unpluged in a supercharger spot. Not because I wanted a parking spot, because something interrupted my routine and I forgot to plug in!
It would be nice if the car and/or the mobile app would note if the car was parked at a supercharger for some minutes but not charging and ping the owner through the mobile app. Tesla could also consider using such a feature to charge parking fees for those using superchargers as free parking spaces.

Reactions: henderrj
It would be nice if the car and/or the mobile app would note if the car was parked at a supercharger for some minutes but not charging and ping the owner through the mobile app. Tesla could also consider using such a feature to charge parking fees for those using superchargers as free parking spaces.
GPS position isn't that accurate. If you parked a couple of spaces away, you'd get bogus alerts/charges. Also wouldn't work underground.

I'm afraid I must confess that I am among those who have left their car unpluged in a supercharger spot. Not because I wanted a parking spot, because something interrupted my routine and I forgot to plug in! Fortunately it was only a few minutes when my wife asked how much time it would take for us to charge this time. I pulled out my phone and found out a bit longer than I thought!
I once saw a Honda Civic pull up and park in a L2 charging spot way back when I had my Leaf and was L3 charging. I rolled down the window and indicated it's a charging spot, and the lot was pretty strict about ticketing non-charging vehicles. She had the most confused look on her face and looked down, and then said she had swapped cars with her husband, and didn't realize she wasn't in her Chevy Volt :D

I just got back home from charging my car at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger.

About 1 hour or so after I got there, a family in a brand new MS pulled in an empty station and parked there without charging. They then left the car there to go shopping or movie watching or eating dinner.

I was done charging about 2 hours later, the whole supercharger was full, and they’re still not back yet.
Not sure if this is a new owner or a salesman who took a customer’s car out for an outing with his family.

I would have plugged them in, then they'd start incurring idle fees as soon as charging stops unless they paid attention to the app telling them that charging was done :p

Tesla may have enough location data to detect when this has happened and automatically charge the idle parking fee.

If not, they could add a feature in the smartphone app to upload photos of vehicles (including Tesla) that are parked in supercharger stalls, and not charging.

If Tesla can get the VIN number of the vehicle, they should have enough data on the car's location to charge the idle parking fee to that car, using the time of day when the photo was sent coupled with the car's location data for how long the vehicle was parked at that location.

Even better - the onboard software could detect this situation - and issue a warning on the dashboard and send a warning to the owner's smartphone app that the car is parked in a supercharger stall and will begin incurring idle fees.

And to discourage this - they should always charge the idle fee - not just when the other spots are occupied...

This is especially a problem at Rancho Cuc SC. Both the long charge times and the wasting of stalls. I’ve had a 2 hour charge before that still only charged to 98% before I gave up. That site would benefit from having the urban chargers installed and double the amount of chargers. Then build a new SC closer to the 210 FWY..,